• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

My V.D.W betting Journey!

As long as you avoid the temptation of learning absolutely everything about bugger all!
Not sure that's correct the more knowledge we have enables a better overall view of the subject - just because some dont back two year old's that's not to say that there is not aspects of two year old or sellers auction - apprentice races ......etc that we cannot use (even subconsciously) in our further research - I for one would like to know more about black smiths and racing plates - hurdle making etc - geology and weather patterns reflected in ground conditions Cricket swing 'not from humidity'

I am big on promoting Braddock as a starting block for newbies or even just a revision every now and then - but even he, can only scratch the surface of racing.

Racing is poorly served from that point of view there is no (that I know of) HOW TO DO IT books the internet is loaded with vague info that only leads you to the next page of adverts and promises with out imparting much use able knowledge - most books take a numerical view.

The fabled VDW had a go a reducing it to numbers and it works to a degree in the higher grades of racing but it presupposes that all are trying and generally the info is all known so will be reflected in the price.

We are left with reading between the lines most of the time and therefore its important not to be reading between biased lines - lines that are deliberately leading you somewhere for someone else's profit - this forum is full of good info and ideas all unbiased and explained in language that is understandable once armed with the basics.

Maybe our education determines how we approach problems such as these. I have a scientific background, so I guess I am always looking to justify my ideas through past results and then verify them through ongoing research. At the same time I am quite aware that a lot of major discoveries have been made by taking apart basic preconceptions and effectively reinventing the wheel. Most of the time this approach won't reveal anything new, but it will always give you a deeper understanding of the basics if you do the work yourself, so it is rarely time wasted.

markfinn markfinn
Some of the things you have opined on today have been extremely deep, clearly I need to keep reading until I can say that I fully understand.
Its a deep subject if you want to go in to - I used to be a ratings man - all numbers - kept afloat OK through a good understanding of coupling ROI to min odds ,dutch betting,knowing which races to steer clear of and a realistic temperament to winning and losing, but no real knowledge of the game.

Still dont have that much and do not c;aim other,I recognise my limitations but also realise that there is nothing here beyond normal intellect, all that is required is head down learning and practice - we might think that we already have all the info required ! but on the other hand no one knows it all. Its like Ferdy Ferdy says some knowledge may be surplus to our requirement - but we need to know the value of info so that we can either ignore it or delve further.

I will give you an example - track trends why the F do work ! when we know it looks like chance - but they do work time and time again so I would want to know why before investing - Stall draws are they really reliable - there are some courses where its clear cut - but if we believe all we read they are all important and usable for most flat races 5 to 11 f, would you back against a class horse in a bad stall against the rag in the best stall - Fillies why are they unreliable , Foaling dates Vs stated age are all horses born on the date ? these are low hanging fruit questions easily answered but there are far more not so......and the winners know more than the losers.

That’s why I like the Blog

“It’s better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you’ll drift in that direction.”
― Warren Buffett

They are a productive bunch who have so many ideas and ways of analysing a race. It keeps me on my toes

Find your own Sweet Zone is another good piece of advice

Last edited:
Warren started of creating tips sheets as outlined in his book Snowball - well worth the rad - but here's the basic

“And I’d done it for dumb reasons,” Buffett said. “You’re not supposed to bet every race. I’d committed the worst sin, which is that you get behind and you think you’ve got to break even that day. The first rule is that nobody goes home after the first race, and the second rule is that you don’t have to make it back the way you lost it. That is so fundamental.”

Last edited:
Reading all of the above recent posts my thought was i hope that when he next looks at his own thread formtheory formtheory is pleasantly surprised by the activity and contributions. :)

Last edited:
markfinn markfinn
Some of the things you have opined on today have been extremely deep, clearly I need to keep reading until I can say that I fully understand.
I wonder if any of us ever fully understand but fortunately often just making the attempt will on balance prove time well spent. :)

Hi mick mick!

Thank's for your posts, I believe the opposite to be true with regards to posting less.

From a personal point of view I've been doing very well, so have been posting less as I've spent more time researching and working the races and the rest of the time I'm spending time with my children.

As you know, since the start of the blog most posters are in there now, and I understand there's a reason for that but I don't feel the need to post much on the forum as it feels a waste of time.

The way I work races is of little interest to those in the blog, so feel it's not anything worth posting.

There is also constant reminders to those that aren't in the blog of how good the blog is which feels to me it is just rubbing people's nose in it.

Thank's for all the contributions, I'm on holiday at the moment so have just had time to post this, off swimming with the kids now!

Good morning formtheory formtheory Re your above hopefully the several Blog members who have taken the time and trouble to contribute to your thread do not also feel they have been wasting there time. As i recall when you was posting in the blog Re the way you work races you did receive interest and encouragement from others including myself. Whatever i hope you enjoy your holiday and your "doing very well" continues when you return.

looking a bit younger there mick mick
When that song was released i was coming up 17 and had just wangled my way into a Pub which was great. I was having a beer (and pretending to enjoy it) when my mate another bloody mick started up about the mister jimi lyric along the lines that this was clear evidence that Hendrix was a junkie. Matters escalated blood was spilled and as a result we both got banned from a Pub we should not have been in in the first place.!

Last edited:
Back