• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

UK All Weather Speed Ratings Template

tacker

Mare
O Outlander the speed project and standard times appear to be calculated to the nearest half furlong so + or - 55yards.
" 55 yds " ??
In a 5f flat race you see people calculating to fractions of seconds, even then with sectional timing you can clearly see that pace or a lack of will distort the numbers and understanding of what happened during that 5f so i can't help but think that some of the calculations for example on a 3 mile chase on SOFT/ SOFT TO HEAVY IN PLACES are pure guesswork.
This is not to say there isn't some value in the process under certain situations but when you are using numbers and % shouldn't they be almost accurate ? certainly not to the nearest 55yds..........just asking.

Outlander

Gelding
" 55 yds " ??
In a 5f flat race you see people calculating to fractions of seconds, even then with sectional timing you can clearly see that pace or a lack of will distort the numbers and understanding of what happened during that 5f so i can't help but think that some of the calculations for example on a 3 mile chase on SOFT/ SOFT TO HEAVY IN PLACES are pure guesswork.
This is not to say there isn't some value in the process under certain situations but when you are using numbers and % shouldn't they be almost accurate ? certainly not to the nearest 55yds..........just asking.
The numbers medians or averages come from the actual times over the actual distances, it is just the lookup menu that abbreviates to the nearest half furlong to search out the course and distance you are looking for.

Last edited:

Outlander

Gelding
Another template for anyone interested I have adapted the template and this one does not include weight in the calculations , the scale is similar to Mordin or Raceform ratings.
So anyone who doesn't include weight or can't be hassled with adjusting for the weights to find top rated in a race this might suit.
Again just copy and paste HRB data and instant ratings.

Attachments

• no weight speed template.xlsx
    1.7 MB · Views: 70

Outlander

Gelding
David Punshon David Punshon i think I know what you are asking yes it is simple to extract the MAX OR of an individual race and return 0 if all horse in the race didn‘t have an OR if this is what you are asking I can post up the formula to get that from the HRB data tomorrow when at my PC.

Outlander

Gelding
David Punshon David Punshon if I was correct in what you were asking I changed the MAX OR to your specification and adapted the sheet , I don't think it made any significant difference to the returned ratings at all, the last 3 columns that calculate performance v expectation were rendered useless as just the horses that had 0 MAX OR were obviously the highest ranked so I deleted these now redundant columns.
Personally I don't think this change added any value to the template.

Attachments

• DP no weight speed template.xlsx
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

Outlander

Gelding
tried to make it tie up with the above scales, I personally don't understand not using weight , but I thought a few people might prefer this
I just took out all weight factors then re scaled to fit the speed par table as much as I could. The levels are a bit higher but I don't think that's relevant as long as its all treated the same. Only 16 speed point between class 7 and group 1.
In the speed rating column I used a constant of 4.25 to scale from normal OR marks to Speed points and a constant 90 to find a level that looked right, if you think the level is too high or low you could change the 90 constant and paste down.

Last edited:

Outlander

Gelding
Strictly speaking it looks like the rating are all about a 5 points higher level than the speed pars listed in the picture I posted above, but if they are all 5 points higher then it makes no difference at all in my view