• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

UK All Weather Speed Ratings Template

Outlander

Gelding
Hi Cashelman Cashelman
I have no access at the moment to my pc
So quite difficult to be as helpful as I would like
I personally tried with some data from Ayr and had no issues
The codes must be entered in the exact format they appear in DATA worksheet column BB
When you have entered these codes in STANDARDS worksheet column M and added the standards into column J , then you need to highlight columns J-M and tick your data has headings and sort column M (A-Z)
One other point I originally made this sheet for a friend who was only interested in AW, so in column AY on DATA worksheet I only made provision for 150 lines of standards in the lookup formula, this needs to be increased so anywhere in the formula 150 appears change it to 2000 and copy the formula down to match all the data you have, if you have more than 150 standard inputted this could also be reason for you errors.
Sorry about this if I had access to my office PC , I would have posted a new version.
Hope this helps , let me know.

Last edited:

Cashelman

Filly
Thank you for your prompt reply I will give that a whirl will look forward to an updated version as it looks like a great piece of software 👍

Outlander

Gelding
Thank you for your prompt reply I will give that a whirl will look forward to an updated version as it looks like a great piece of software 👍
Thanks but I don’t think we can class it as a piece of software , the key is also forgot to mention you need the yards to be exactly the same as in column BB, probably best to copy and paste the values and make sure you have all the distances and standards for all the distances that appear in column BB when you are adding turf courses.

Outlander

Gelding
Sorted thank you
Certainly Cashelman Cashelman has obviously been having a go with this and maybe others have been experimenting with adding turf courses.
I wanted to make a point about how the ratings will be calculated in certain circumstances .
There will be a separate going allowance calculated for different going descriptions on the same day.
For example if 6 races at Ascot and the going description in the HRB data was good to soft for first 3 races and then the going description changed to Heavy for the last 3 races in will calculate 2 different going allowance and rate accordingly, if you don’t agree the going description was how HRB have recorded it in the data then manually change the going in the data say to Soft for every race and it will then rate the card as if all races were on same going allowance.
This would very rarely make ant difference to AW cards but worth checking when you run a turf card,

Last edited:

Cashelman

Filly
Just a quick one how would you input standard times for racecourses who use two courses eg Nottingham Inner & Outer

Outlander

Gelding
Just a quick one how would you input standard times for racecourses who use two courses eg Nottingham Inner & Outer
The only way you could do it on the sheet you have is to change the course name say leave the outer track as Nottingham and chance the course name for the inner track to Nottingham(Inner)
This will automatically change the code in column BB
Then obviously copy all the codes and standards into the STANDARDS worksheet.
Obviously this requires manual intervention but there has to be at some point because the HRB data doesn’t distinguish between the 2 courses, like it does with Newmarket.

Last edited:

TripleFirst

Yearling
Hi Outlander. Nice file and some nice code! Just a quick question how did you work out the standard times for these All weather courses I'm looking to do the rest of the NH and the Flat as I've not seen any standard times on Horseracebase.

Outlander

Gelding
Hi Outlander. Nice file and some nice code! Just a quick question how did you work out the standard times for these All weather courses I'm looking to do the rest of the NH and the Flat as I've not seen any standard times on Horseracebase.
Hi TripleFirst TripleFirst they were my old standard times I compiled last year, I had a full set for all the turf /aw courses in UK and IRE, i posted them up on the inner sanctum with all the codes.
If I get chance I will post them on here with an updated template .
I have newer standards now but haven't compiled a list.
You could use any standards you like.
This sheet won’t work well for NH, it would need to be rebuilt with different formulae.
Horseracebase does have a speed project area developed in the last week where you can experiment calculating standards for all courses/distances

Outlander

Gelding
O Outlander the speed project and standard times appear to be calculated to the nearest half furlong so + or - 55yards.
Yes that is true, the data is for the correct distance if you look at the last 50 runs at the bottom , but the drop down menu is in 1/2 furlongs, the standard times calcs and times come from the actual distances.
I suppose in an ideal world the drop down menu would have the exact distances, but it’s new , maybe this will improve with time.
It’s not something I would use to calculate my standards because I adjust all the times for all factors, but it’s a useful starting point.
Beware of distances with low number of races as you can’t take the calculations at face value, not enough data.
Example 2m flat Naas rarely used only 5 races in the database , fastest time 212.19
The standard time for this distance would be a lot lower than the fastest time
My current standard for Naas 2m is 203.06 in comparison.

TripleFirst

Yearling
Thanks for the reply Outlander. I'll look into using other standard times and look forward to the updated template.
I'll also look on Horseracebase for the speed project area. Thanks again. Great Work!

Outlander

Gelding
Looks like a few forum members are interested in my template and keen to add turf tracks
I have quickly amended the template to include codes for all turf tracks
The standards listed are my old standards that I compiled at the end of last year, I have a slightly different way of calculating now but these are the only standards I have in a list.
RP standards or your own standards could be used instead.
So far my standards haven’t proved any better at finding winners than the RP standards anyway as far as flat racing is concerned
Note Nottingham and Haydock will not work properly because of the codes , you will have to follow instructions I put in post #27 on this thread for a workable solution, this is because of inner and outer tracks(not distinguished in HRB)
Some Irish tracks have dozens of distances that won’t necessarily be on the standards list, you will need to add any standard that is missing for it to work properly or do what I do and use just the standards on the list as a default and alter the data.
For example say there was a race over 1566 yards at a course and you only have a standard for 1540
Then simply change the ‘Yards’ Column AI to 1540 and input 26 in the ‘RailMove’ Column AJ.
Attachment to follow.

Attachments

• speedratingtemplate2.0.xlsx
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Cashelman

Filly
Looks like a few forum members are interested in my template and keen to add turf tracks
I have quickly amended the template to include codes for all turf tracks
The standards listed are my old standards that I compiled at the end of last year, I have a slightly different way of calculating now but these are the only standards I have in a list.
RP standards or your own standards could be used instead.
So far my standards haven’t proved any better at finding winners than the RP standards anyway as far as flat racing is concerned
Note Nottingham and Haydock will not work properly because of the codes , you will have to follow instructions I put in post #27 on this thread for a workable solution, this is because of inner and outer tracks(not distinguished in HRB)
Some Irish tracks have dozens of distances that won’t necessarily be on the standards list, you will need to add any standard that is missing for it to work properly or do what I do and use just the standards on the list as a default and alter the data.
For example say there was a race over 1566 yards at a course and you only have a standard for 1540
Then simply change the ‘Yards’ Column AI to 1540 and input 26 in the ‘RailMove’ Column AJ.
Attachment to follow.
thanks for this but I am having trouble copying in the data I have already inputted onto the earlier version the formatting appears to be different any suggestion please

Outlander

Gelding
appears to be with the standards there were 4 columns on the earlier edition but only two on this one
I had to change it because 2 of the columns have no bearing on the lookup but I would have had to spend hours inputting the data for those unnecessary columns.
Not sure what has happened with the format, try paste special - values and number formats, or other options until you find one that works.
It’s strange because I inputted data from Ayr to test and it worked perfectly.
At the moment I’m not at PC so have no idea what has gone wrong.

Cashelman

Filly
I had to change it because 2 of the columns have no bearing on the lookup but I would have had to spend hours inputting the data for those unnecessary columns.
Not sure what has happened with the format, try paste special - values and number formats, or other options until you find one that works.
It’s strange because I inputted data from Ayr to test and it worked perfectly.
At the moment I’m not at PC so have no idea what has gone wrong.
Ok will try that 👍

Cashelman

Filly
Hi is it possible to explain what some least obvious headings are especially the one named Order

Regards
Martin

Outlander

Gelding
I took the Order heading away on the second version this is because it was just a way of me sorting them into an order to rank because to make up for my poor excel formula skills, in the second version I managed to work out the formula that made Order column redundant , it was purely a bridge formula that means nothing and was just to help with the calculation of the Rank Column.
The only really Important columns are the coloured ones , the red GA column is the going allowance , the blue HorseGA is very important this tells you what each runner is suggesting the going allowance is based on the time it has run the race, you can use this to determine GA or just stick with the basic formula that automatically calculates the GA from the information in HorseGA column, of course if you really wanted to you could manually change the numbers in the GA column this would automatically re calculate the ratings.
The other columns are mainly just necessary calculations to produce the HorseGA and GA
Basically a HorseGA or GA of say 55 means going slowing them down by 0.55 seconds per/furlong
if the HorseGA or GA was say -34 this means going speeding runners up by 0.34 sec/furlong
Cashelman Cashelman did you manage to get version 2 working?