• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Compiling Speed figures.

Hi Blues Brother thanks to you I am producing figures for the flat racing, do you use the same procedure for jump racing to produce figures. Is it possible that you could give an example as you did with Dawn Approach how to compile speed figures for jumps.
Thanks

Over the jumps I use a base weight of 11-0 and a rating of 130, the procedure is the same as the flat where I use a base weight of 9-0 and a rating of 100..

Hi Blues brother I know you said the procedure is the same may I ask does that also include dividing by .2

Thanks BluesBrother. When it comes to the going allowance do you rate hurdles and chase separate?

In a sense yes.

It is the same on the flat, you have to look for trends, you might have the round course on a racecourse riding faster than the straight course, and vice-versa.
It can difficult some days especially in Ireland, where the pace of some of the races are run at a slow pace, and at some racecourses the advertised race distances are suspect.

We had a problem on the flat at Sligo (IRE) just over a week ago, where all the races were run over 110yds shorter than advertised, I always start off by calculating the
going allowances at 0.00s/f, and straight away I can usually visualise what the going allowance is going to be.

At Galway they have just had somebody in to re-measure their race distances, and when they measures the 2m1f chase distance they found it was 2m2f, all the new distances
can be viewed on their website.

You know when things are bad, last week Dave Edwards "Top Speed" sent me an email with the word "ODD" about 2 Irish meetings, he wanted my thoughts on them.

Mike.

Thank you BluesBrother I can thanks to your help come up with a rating for the winner, what about those who finish behind how do you rate them?

Hi BluesBrother I am not a member of the Racing Post, and not sure as yet if I want to be, do you know the calculation the ratings tool uses.

Hi BluesBrother I am not a member of the Racing Post, and not sure as yet if I want to be, do you know the calculation the ratings tool uses.

In a nutshell, it is the lengths beaten x the lbs per length, and if a 3yo is running in an all age handicap for example, a WFA allowances is added.
There are a few other subtle differences, The Racing Post subtracta any claim from the weight carried, for example...
The Sporting Life today had Gran Canaria Queen carrying 9-13 ridden by Rachel Richardson (5lb claimer), the Racing Post has the weight carried as 9-8.

5f Ascot lbs per length = 3.36
The winner of the race earned a speed figure of 100 and the second was beaten 3 lengths.

3 x 3.36 = 10.08
subtract 10 from 100 = 90 (2nd place horse's speed figure)

Thank you BluesBrother, Will you still add and subtract weight over or under 9st

I have already done that, prior to entering the lbs per length and the rating of the winner into the rate race tool on the Racing Post website.

The Racing Post website has been down for the past week due to updates, and yesterday's I spent the best part of 10 hours updating my account.
What was that famous quote from Nick Mordin " I used to sit down on a Sunday for an hour and do the speed figures for the past week", quote
from the TBB "my ass"...

Mike.

Thanks Mike what I was trying to ask please forgive if you have answered and I have misread when I rate the winner I to add and subtract the weight over or under 9st, do you do the same for the beaten horses.

Thanks Mike what I was trying to ask please forgive if you have answered and I have misread when I rate the winner I to add and subtract the weight over or under 9st, do you do the same for the beaten horses.

Only the winner.
If you had to do that for every horse in the race, it would take you a month of Sunday's...

Having only just joined the forum to find out more about Speed Ratings, this thread is a goldmine of information. Thanks to all who have contributed but especially TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother who explains things clearly, concisely and with easy to follow examples.

Until now I have been trying to devise a method for identifying horses to lay using the Patternform Ratings, but with limited success so far (albeit I am in profit). I often wonder how my horses selected with comparatively poor Speed Ratings on there justify starting as race favourites, and I also wonder how older horses with relatively low Speed Ratings quite frequently romp home as winners (obviously younger horses can and do improve up to a point).

I guess until you know how the various aspects of the Speed Ratings are calculated (Standard Times, going allowances, etc) you will never really be able to fully trust their use, or is that a bit too harsh a comment?

Calimero1250 Calimero1250

If you look at the sectional times for Lingfield on the 8th, looking at the race won by
Noro Lim, you will see two important figures a time percentage of 108.1% and a lbs diff
figure of 6.
With ref to the time percentage figure, the nearer to 98.3% the better, this is the optimum
finishing percentage as set by Turtrax.
If the race was competitive and was run at a true pace, ref the lbs diff box, you could upgrade
Noro Lim's speed figure of 38 by 6lbs, to an adjusted speed figure of 44 (38+6).

If this hasn't confused you nothing will.

Mike.

Hi Mike, sorry for the delay in answering.

I'm working on the sectional times and I think about the pace.

My first conclusion about this is to know if a race was truly ran, we have to compare the pace of this race to a "pace standard" calculated on the same way like standard times.

What do you think about it?

Fred.

Hello , I search times standard file days for hippodromme in France

thank you

for standard time, I do not know if you have to take the record for the races where an average of the best time ? And do I also take the state of térrain with the times when it is the allowance that replaces ?

Last edited:
Back