• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Win/Place test

I must apologise for my absence. Since the last post my earlier illness became a little more interesting when I lost 40% of the blood in my body in one go.....I do not recommend doing that! So a spell in our excellent Hospital has set me right albeit still with fatigue problems etc so I've decided to stop all posting until the New Year when hopefully I will be back with a more consistent thread... In the meantime may I wish all members a Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year....stay safe.

So here we are back after a somewhat longer recovery period than I would have liked! I'm leaving the other thread re the Lays whilst I look for a better approach.

Today I'm hoping that these might be across the line first albeit at low odds so some doubles might be the way to go.

12.20 Ayr : Wetlands
1.30 Ayr : The Edgar Wallace Just seen that Ayr is abandoned!

6.10 Wolves : Final Voyage
7.10 Wolves : Obtuse

Last edited:
Two short but good winners there, savernake savernake !

I'm quite interested in this thread, as I find I get far too many placed results with my win bets. Tried several staking plans, with little success.
Failures for me included the old "eight times the win stake" on the place bet. It was a bit expensive as place odds I obtained were low.

Also tried that idea of using the same total amount that was to be risked, split on two win only selections in the same race. This wasn't a roaring success, without variable staking.

I'll keep trying, though I remember somebody somewhere once wrote that the best odds to back EW is 5/2 . :)

Thanks S Sandhog. Yes it's pain when the amount of place finishes outnumber the wins. I too have tried the 20/80 approach and variable staking but in reality maybe it's to go for individual win only bets and see what the results are over a long period.

Having said that sometimes, I do tend, like yesterday, to put them in a win double and today' selections are similarly bet on Bet 365 BOG but on this occasion as an ew double:

12.27 Catt : Bareback Jack : 1.77 : 1st
1.20 Plum : State Crown : 3.02 : 3rd of 5 !

Good luck today wherever your hard earned gets spent

Last edited:
I had no real selections of my own today, savernake savernake,
and just played for fun and to see how the place element on btfr held up. Not much good in truth, though I made a pittance on the day , which is better than a kick between the pockets.

It may depend on how patient or how greedy we are; certainly, a percentage, better than most current bank interest rates, could be shaved, if we were content to do a limited number of top-rated to place at about 10% on top of outlay.
Dunno if that would appeal to many, and not sure really high rollers could get enough matched to be interested.

Again, one of the many systems tested on this forum paid again today with a controlled staking plan.

----
The old EW Double - " the professional's bet" - was given a good trial by me for several years, but, looking back, didn't pay me as much as my on- the- nose, or, single selection betting.

I think M. O.s have to suit us , the punters, as much as courses and jockeys have to suit horses. There seems to be a personal element, imo :)

I did try Tote Place betting. It paid best at big meetings when on course, say , at the Grand National. Put on £100 tp on a favourite and get £150 back, even if it came 2nd or 3rd.
Not really worth the hassle of having to go down and queue at the little window, imo. Dunno what it's like nowadays, but those crowded meetings were bedlam! OK, they're all shut at present, but I missed two Cheltenhams and one Derby bc of illness or the clamp-down , so am not up to speed.

Well done with Bareback Jack!

I must apologise for my absence. Since the last post my earlier illness became a little more interesting when I lost 40% of the blood in my body in one go.....I do not recommend doing that! So a spell in our excellent Hospital has set me right albeit still with fatigue problems etc so I've decided to stop all posting until the New Year when hopefully I will be back with a more consistent thread... In the meantime may I wish all members a Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year....stay safe.
Sorry to hear about your health problems savernake savernake , all the best.

Putting this Dutch into play today as I can't distinguish between these CD winners!

£4.00 Dutch 3.50 Wolves at specified BF odds as below

1609761504723.png

Also think that the runes point towards Miss Zip in the 1.55 Fakenham and Inevitable Outcome, (hope that's aptly named), in the 4.50 at Wolves.

Classified Stakes, savernake savernake???:eek:
Not for me, thank you.

I've been in the hospital today ( just a follow up); hour of travelling; threequarters of an hour waiting; four minutes to get told come back next year and take it easy, you're fine :)
Found I'd had a few winners from an Inform Racing system when I got back, and managed to catch a few races from Wolver.
All my place bets went down today.o_O Are they worth it?

I believe dutching could pay better.
How about these two, tomorrow, 2.10 LIngfield. Which one wins? I wish I knew. No guarantees, of course. Dutch?
Jennivere ( my choice) or Little Sunflower?

All the best!

Thank you for the link savernake 👍 I was just about to ask you what you use for dutching calculator.
It wouldn't work on Safari (I'm on a Mac) but works fine on Chrome.

Thanks savernake savernake !

I can't knock Passional, provided she can do as well at Lingfield as she did a few days ago at Wolver. Good trainer and jockey.
Not sure about Charles le Bon, though that trainer gets some good sprinters.
All the best!:)

Phew, close enough for Jennivere! :)
I hadn't even considered the 2nd ( the Carsons), which ran very well.

I was glad when Hollie took it up early, as that's a hard thing to maintain at Lingfield, I think. Price of winner drifted before the off.

Well, that's one of your two in the net, savernake savernake .
Won well. Marco's getting the hang of this coming wide from the back. The horses have been fast enough to do it today.
Well-rated on Inform Racing again.

Oh, Charles was just getting going in the straight when impeded. Stopped his effort. Unlucky@savernake!
Will do well nto, if put in the right race.

I don't suppose a place double ( to four places), if possible, would have been any better than a straight win double there, savernake savernake.
Imo, two win singles would probably be best.

I'll be out most of tomorrow, so all the best with any bets you put up.

Nothing important for me today ( Thurs), but, for fun, I'll try a small, silly, bet, to see what results:

6.30 Wolverhampton
2 units Firsteen win ( based on my take on "form")
1 unit Onebaba win ( because I follow the team)
1 unit Onebaba place ( won lto, unlikely to follow up , imo)

Still not entirely convinced the place element is helping me much.

Back