• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Tomorrow Done Today

You know it’s old when no form comes up for a horse in the racingpost 😟😆

But I’m just happy that Mick Jagger is in to horses.
The 1978 running of The Bunbury Cup. I had staked far more than i should have but on this occasion all was well. Re the Jagger thing Admins pick not mine but perhaps they had the foresight to know that all of these Micks are bloody trouble makers. :eek:

The 1978 running of The Bunbury Cup. I had staked far more than i should have but on this occasion all was well. Re the Jagger thing Admins pick not mine but perhaps they had the foresight to know that all of these Micks are bloody trouble makers. :eek:
I used to live in Dartford - Senor Jagger built a performing arts centre for the local grammar school, so total respect for the gentleman.
Not too sure about our one here, but he's not too shabby a person once you get used to him.
Well done today btw RyanWe RyanWe

Last edited:
Apart from the horses that Carol has bought me shares in, for some reason Persian Punch is the name I remember most.
Everyone loves a tough front runner, more so when their desire to win outweighs their ability, the amount of times he would just outbattle his rivals.

I always appreciate the hardy horses more in the racing than the flashy ones, you feel like they are trying harder for you 😍

At Cheltenham, one Gold Cup day, I happened to be stood next to one of the rural rich, complete with Barbour and jodpurs. She knew everything ,,and wasn't afraid to tell anybody who'd listen.
Pre- big race, couldn't hear the words from the Big Screen bc of the din, but, we could read the facts and figures displayed on "tale of the tape".

The lady from the landed gentry picked out "Girth Size"; Denman was three inches bigger than Kauto.

She stated categorically that this was an advantage and a plus. I'd never heard this before, but, having always backed Denman against Kauto, I was delighted to hear it.
Denman did win that day. On the occasions he didn't, I would be in bad humour, and would push my way out and deliberately step on every free betfair scarf or KS colours I encountered thrown on the ground all the back down to the pubs in town.
Not the professional attitude, I admit.

Good old Denman! I liked him in the Hennessey too.

I was always more a Denman fan than Kauto as I felt he was the underdog. From what I remember in that Gold Cup win, Kauto had a set back before the race, but still, I think the tank was just more of a stayer than Kauto, and put in an extraordinary effort that day which took so much out of him - I'm pretty sure that's when he had the heart problem after the win.

Most will say Denman was never quite the same horse afterwards, but winning that second Hennessy off 174 is my favourite racing moment, after everything he had been through, it was an incredible performance.

It's a real shame you don't see the top horses try to give lumps of weight away anymore.

I napped Casa Loupi in the next at Kempton as I’m really close to winning in the comps that I had to do something. I don’t fancy it enough to bet it though, just thought it would give it a good go from the front again.

I've done the two Kirby horses tomorrow at Hereford (2.20 Hidden Commander, 4.50 Stitch Up). I looked at them both first of all because you notice trainers that don't often send their runners here, and he's 2 from 6 here.

Hereford 2.20 Hidden Commander (6/1 now)

This won a PTP last March which has really worked out well, with the second winning a nice bumper in Ireland, and the third winning two novice hurdles and is now rated 129.

The selection was sent off no shorter than 25/1 in his three runs in novice hurdles, so clearly not much was expected, but he really did catch the eye on his last run from the front, not with just how he jumped and travelled, but there was such minimal effort to ride him out that the jock looked in pain to push the horse. This hasn't been lost on the handicapper as a mark of 113 on the bare form looks harsh, even if Blakeney Point who finished 14l ahead of him did win off 125 on his next run.

I'm sure this horse is better than his mark, and it's just a matter of when we see it.

Hereford 4.50 Stitch Up (8/1 generally)

The horse hasn't shown much in his three qualifying runs, apart from jumping and travelling in the rear.

An opening mark of 87, where his dam has only seen two of her progeny under rules, both half brothers, but they were no slouches in Onenightinvienna (151 at his peak), & Major Dundee (124). As we've seen with Bushypark earlier in the season, he likes to land a punt, and he won his 5th straight hurdle race just last week, and is now 49lb higher rated.

Lastly, the trainer has only sent 6 horses here before, with 2 winners, and a third place.

Back