• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Simple, Profitable System

Rodeneal

Yearling
Years ago, when I started gambling a bit more seriously, I did a some of research and found a simple but effective system, that returns a small but steady profit. The system is called The Top Five. Over the years I have tweaked the system to suit my gambling strategies.

The theory goes, by half nine in the morning, Monday to Saturday, a horse’s connections will have placed their bets. At half nine, simply go onto the Oddschecker website. Select Horse Racing, then Market Movers. After that click on Category until the UK and Ireland meetings, races, horses and odds are listed at the top.

Next, simply place a one point bet on the top five horses, assuming the following criteria are met:

• The opening odds were less than 10/1.
  • The average market swing is greater than three percent.
There are days when five horses do not meet the criteria, if that is the case, place a one point bet on the few that do. When I started using this system, I allocated fifty points and that pot of fifty points has never fallen below thirty five points. When to withdraw your winnings is up to you.

Personally, I feel that this system is ideal for those new to horse racing, as I was back then. This system is also a good introduction in how bookies operate and can be used in conjunction with other strategies and systems. Oddly, this system doesn’t seem to work on Sundays, I assume this is because there are fewer meetings on Sundays, thus fewer connections placing large bets by half nine in the morning. Alternatively, the system doesn’t work on Sundays, as all the connections, are still in bed or at Sunday worship, somehow, I doubt this though!

Hello, no I will not. I not hiding anything back or keeping it a secret. The Top Five System is a quite easy as a starting approach to taking gambling, on the horses, seriously. It would take just as longer for me to post my selections, as it would for you to get, exactly, the same predictions, by going on oddschecker and following the instructions, posted above. The major advantage of the system, besides making a small turn, especially if you can watch the races, is beginning to understand horse racing. I tend not to bet on the jumps; but by using this system I have started having a punt or two on the jumps, occasionally.

To be honest the system is so simple, my selections would be a screen print of the Oddschecker, Market Movers page.

Let us have a play here. I know you said Sundays were not good but let's see.....

My rules.......lol........move => 4% at around 9.30am

Taking the 2nd column as the guide:-
2pts BFSP on selections under 2/1
1pt BFSP on selections over 2/1 but under 10/1

oddschecker 6-9-20.png

Last edited:
formtheory formtheory, you may be right about the original name of the system. I read the book so long ago, I honestly can't remember.

In my original post, I mentioned that, over the years, I have tweaked the system to suit my personal tastes and strategies. I strongly believe that you should only bet on sports that you know something about. When it comes to the horses, I know a massive amount more about the flat than the jumps. Therefore, when the flat season is in full swing, I often ignore the horses that are going to run in a National Hunt meeting. So for example, if a horse, running in a flat race comes in the top five, I will check the draw, the jockey, the trainer etc. A number of times I have seen a horse with a bad draw or the trainer was having a bad run of form and placed a lay bet.

A friend of mine, who owns three jumps horses, once said to me, "its easier to win on flat races as they are no pesky fences to trip over"

Three winners yesterday. Assuming you got best odds guaranteed, 3.7 points profit
Sunday is possibly a bad day then, for whatever reasons. Perhaps I should have posted a screen-shot of yesterdays.
Alas, no access to BOG, unfortunately - SP only.

Could you tell what those winners were, please - so I can look at there in-running prices on the Exchange.

Last edited:
Thanks. I can see this has potential - being on fancied horses for the day.
It looks possible to compensate for the drop from the 'overnight' odds by going in-running - double the SP seen on two of the above.
Two of the above actually looked like they drifted slightly, SP wise, up the race start.
As you say - best to tweak to ones own preferences. May be narrow down to a NAP for the day.

Thanks. I can see this has potential - being on fancied horses for the day.
It looks possible to compensate for the drop from the 'overnight' odds by going in-running - double the SP seen on two of the above.
Two of the above actually looked like they drifted slightly, SP wise, up the race start.
As you say - best to tweak to ones own preferences. May be narrow down to a NAP for the day.
Oddly, I think you have hit a nail on the head with your comment. Two of the horse's, that won yesterday, did indeed drift. I deliberately don't bet on an exchange for this system, thus, getting, best odds. I don't expect to make a fortune using this system, i do expect, a small, steady profit.

Yesterday, there was a one point return. Today there was at least a four point return! (I won't do the maths as having a pint before cooking for the missus) . I am happy to report weekly from now on if interested?

Hi Rodeneal Rodeneal Hope your good lady enjoyed the meal :)

I took a screenshot this morning of the Top 5 at around 9.30am that adds weight to your thread.

Four of the top 5 were winners !!

From top to bottom W8/11, W1/1, Lost, W15/8, W2/1..........6th Baseman was a non-runner.

09-09-20 c - Copy.png

I took 3 screenshots right down to =>4%............a few more winners in there too, and a few 2nd's.
One was 2nd at 9/1 to Latest Generation.

It's odd that a system like this you get that feeling that 'you have missed the boat' with regards to the odds, but I guess, aside from perhaps a bit of insider knowledge, you could argue that the 'masses' have done the 'form study' and have concluded on the best bet/s in the race.
The market gets it right more often than not, and if the strike rate is high enough, should form a good system base.

Last edited:
This is a purely personal opinion. One of the big advantage of this simple system, it introduces a newcomer to placing bets to all the basics, odds, markets, differing bookies even exchanges.

Back