• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

Simple, Profitable System

runnerjp

Colt
runnerjp runnerjp - as alluded to in one of my prior posts, this is EXACTLY how is see this approach being useful. monitor it from 09:00->13:00 and see which candidates have stayed in the top slots and how their %age vs price has varied. use this to look at low odds lay based candidates. I only have 4 days of data (i've saved all the json from each day), so will look in 4-5 weeks time to see if there's anything to be had in this approach.
Hi jimibt jimibt - Sounds like you are going by the exact approach I am. I have seen your name on the BA forum. Are you pulling from the site every 30min? - I was thinking of doing this race by race and monitoring the price movements as a race on the whole but I dont have a BF api key and dont think they will like my scraping their site!

jimibt

Yearling
Hi jimibt jimibt - Sounds like you are going by the exact approach I am. I have seen your name on the BA forum. Are you pulling from the site every 30min? - I was thinking of doing this race by race and monitoring the price movements as a race on the whole but I dont have a BF api key and dont think they will like my scraping their site!
runnerjp runnerjp - i'm scraping the site (oddschecker), every 15 minutes between 09:00 and 13:00. i save each scrape in a composite json file for the given day. at present, I just use the data to create a graph of the activity (to spark ideas). my goal is to analyse the relationships between % swing and odds over time to see how these steamers (and drifters) perform when brokewn down into *same category* bands. I've not yet arrived at any conclusions due to the small timescale, but using this for lay candidates below 4 odds does look decent so far, as does some of the higher odds steamers (5-7 odds) if looking at back based bets (not really my thing tbh :D)

Yes, you will have seen me on te BA forum, I use BA to prototype ideas but ulitmately use an API rolled version (in .Net) for the final versions (not because BA is lacking, more because of the control i can exert using external data sources etc in realtime -plus the ability to fire off multiple async threads at the same instant and have each thread analyse the moment, looking for the best outcome).

All fun stuff, but profitable when properly cooked.

jimibt

Yearling
runnerjp runnerjp - the definition of the json file follows the oddschecker datapoints pretty much in parallel, so not much to be gained from the data on its own. however, as mentioned above, post processing all this json gunk after the event as an analytical excercise MAY start to show patterns.

if/when i make inroads (i.e. when i have sufficient data), i will post some observations. will obviously start up a new thread at this point.

FYI, here's what we have thus far today - just to give a flavour of how the json builds on a typical day.... (since i'm *in the data*, i pull out the drifters also - these could also bear fruit, especially if low priced faves appear in this list [such as Sea La Rosa today!!])

Attachments

• 2020-12-22.json.txt
    100.7 KB · Views: 8

runnerjp

Colt
Spot on mate - You have the same thought process as me. Why are you sticking it into a Json file BTW and not directly into a db ?

Have you a BF API then - If so is it worth it just to pull live odds ect?

jimibt

Yearling
Spot on mate - You have the same thought process as me. Why are you sticking it into a Json file BTW and not directly into a db ?

Have you a BF API then - If so is it worth it just to pull live odds ect?
I'm using a json file at this stage as it was a quick knee jerk project that i pulled together as an experiment after reading this thread. if it bears fruit, then for sure I'll throw it into a DB.

Yes, I have an API key, but I don't use any BF related info linked into this just yet. However, for analysing things further down the line, then I will link into the BF odds. One thing that is useful with oddschecker odds (and more so with OC bookies [when they come back]) is that you can compare OC odds to BF odds and see if there's any balancing of the book going on that you can take advantage of in BF.

As i said, still not 100% certain of this is a goer or not, but it's ultra cheap to throw up a quick scrape and json feed which I can analyse with a pre-existing stucture, so the only pain point is the hour or so up front in looking at the elements required for the scrape. TBH -i had imagined that oddschecker would chuck everything uot in json format (i.e a hidden api) and transform it in the UI via react or jquery - that would have of course made things far simpler... however!! ;)

runnerjp

Colt
I'm using a json file at this stage as it was a quick knee jerk project that i pulled together as an experiment after reading this thread. if it bears fruit, then for sure I'll throw it into a DB.

Yes, I have an API key, but I don't use any BF related info linked into this just yet. However, for analysing things further down the line, then I will link into the BF odds. One thing that is useful with oddschecker odds (and more so with OC bookies [when they come back]) is that you can compare OC odds to BF odds and see if there's any balancing of the book going on that you can take advantage of in BF.

As i said, still not 100% certain of this is a goer or not, but it's ultra cheap to throw up a quick scrape and json feed which I can analyse with a pre-existing stucture, so the only pain point is the hour or so up front in looking at the elements required for the scrape. TBH -i had imagined that oddschecker would chuck everything uot in json format (i.e a hidden api) and transform it in the UI via react or jquery - that would have of course made things far simpler... however!! ;)
been messing around today and come up with a script like you said. Also doing oddsportal as well - more data the better right!

runnerjp

Colt
Empty DataFrame
Columns: [Venue, SelectionName, Percent]
Index: [] Venue SelectionName Percent
0 Limerick 13:22 Shadow Rider 16.48
1 Leopardstown 13:40 One Cool Poet 15.17
2 Wetherby 14:40 Mint Condition 15.15
5 Wetherby 14:05 Canelo 13.44
6 Limerick 12:15 Palm Beach 12.54

runnerjp

Colt