• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Hong Kong Speed Figures

Honestly it’s frustrating, the issue is you can’t evaluate a horse just by looking at times and sectional times.
you need many other things to make sense of the raw data.
you need an expected time or rating
you need to have calculated from years of data accurate standard times, I have never ever seen accurate standard times published by anyone paid to do the job, I’ve seen times of nick Mordin, Simon Rowlands, Topspeed, split second and many others , they could all be torn apart for accuracy, it’s incredibly difficult, nobody has it perfect and never will.
then you need ratios for each section calculated from years of data , what percentage of the overall time should each section be for optimum efficiency.
when you have all this calculated then maybe you could feed this to grok with the raw data and ask it to come up with something, I still think it wouldn’t have a clue , like I always say each section is the product of others you can’t take them in isolation without adjusting for the effect the other sections would have.
like I say probably no one got all this worked out to a tee, grok I would bet against.
Do you mean like that?
 

Attachments

  • HPVY_HK_Pars_Latest.CSV
    5.7 KB · Views: 11
Do you mean like that?
Yes I mean like that.
what I’m referring to here is U.K. standard times in the public domain especially historic racing post standards that have been flawed and how difficult it is to compile accurate standards and that anyone that is just using medians or averages is not going to get close, also I’m doubting the likes of grok can take the data and know how to compile accurate standards unless you tell it exactly how to do it.
What you have here is something much more sophisticated obviously , this is the product of not just taking averages or medians, more as gone into this clearly, this is your answer to the problem, in the last day we have 4 people who study HK posting their standard times none match perfectly with each other, to me it’s clear all have been arrived at with sophisticated methods, but even then they differ.
What you have here for Happy Valley exactly what you need , you need times for every section to evaluate the race properly.
I have my version of this, I’m guessing everyone on this thread would have times like this for HK.
I look at the standard times published on the HKJC website and I wouldn’t want to be using those to create figures, I would happily use your times as I can see they make sense, but there is no substitute for using your own methods and knowing exactly how everything was calculated and having confidence in your own process.
That doesn’t mean mean that I personally think I can’t learn from others, quite the opposite.
1791349231972.png
 
Well, if you have the data, then I would not worry too much about what other people do.
You know what goes into your own, and that's the main thing.
Anyway, they may not match perfectly(the four lots posted here), but they are pretty close.
I have a way of checking how much any factor contributes to the overall.
No 1 is public odds this time
No 2 is public odds last race.
No 3 is numbers derived from my final times.
I don't think that the numbers from the sections add too much, certainly no more than just normalised ranking numbers do.
 
A few interesting trials resuming tomorrow:

Hayday finished alongside Packing Fighter in his trial, the latter going on to run an enormous figure in his race. Of course had apprentice light weight in the trial and pushed out some, but will have her tomorrow with the 3kg claim, she's going well riding front-runners. One to keep an eye on resuming.

Really interested to see in R3 how Bullish Nova and Glorious St Pauls go, the latter held up behind winner of that trial could have ran better time. Bullish Nova I thought moved really well and you'd think his racing style suits this trip despite the sprinter looking pedigree. Supreme Mastermind ran a nice race out of that trial already. Seems the market has found Bullish Nova (unders for me) but Glorious St Pauls is sitting 46-1 early tote.
I expect Luck Is Back and Decision Link to be popular with smart money that race and probably one of them to win, though.

One last thing I wanted to note: R8 Audacious Pursuit is sitting 18.0 early tote, that race he was in end of last season not only rated huge on my end but strong form out of it with Le Zonda and Fortunate Son getting backed and winning already this season (the latter twice), also Glittering Legend was also backed in on the weekend. I think the big guys agree this is a pretty hot form he's coming out of. Oh and Audacious Pursuit's trial was great I thought with the way he ran on.

Anyway that's enough yapping, hope it's of some value, good luck.
Good Luck, last season you were very much on the mark with your comments
 
Yes I mean like that.
what I’m referring to here is U.K. standard times in the public domain especially historic racing post standards that have been flawed and how difficult it is to compile accurate standards and that anyone that is just using medians or averages is not going to get close, also I’m doubting the likes of grok can take the data and know how to compile accurate standards unless you tell it exactly how to do it.
What you have here is something much more sophisticated obviously , this is the product of not just taking averages or medians, more as gone into this clearly, this is your answer to the problem, in the last day we have 4 people who study HK posting their standard times none match perfectly with each other, to me it’s clear all have been arrived at with sophisticated methods, but even then they differ.
What you have here for Happy Valley exactly what you need , you need times for every section to evaluate the race properly.
I have my version of this, I’m guessing everyone on this thread would have times like this for HK.
I look at the standard times published on the HKJC website and I wouldn’t want to be using those to create figures, I would happily use your times as I can see they make sense, but there is no substitute for using your own methods and knowing exactly how everything was calculated and having confidence in your own process.
That doesn’t mean mean that I personally think I can’t learn from others, quite the opposite.
View attachment 172254

Your right on everything you said here, AI can only just make your coding quicker, but it can be a terrible debt to pay if you don't understand it's code, It's interesting that your sectional standards sum to your overall standard, which is very different to how I do it, again we all do things differently, but in saying that my Exp/act Track speed for sectionals will nearly always sum to the overall Exp/act track speed. I only use my sectional standards to get a raw S1-Par to a difference in comparsion with my S1-TV difference, and then multiplied by the a sectional weighting to get a final figure.
1791354150042.png
 
Woods 2IC sent me that many years ago.
It's not bad, and similar to how I would do it.
I can't remember why they sent to me, perhaps they were partying at the time!
They also sent me detailed diagrams of tracks, with every conceivable measurement, and even how deep the dirt was at various points.

It was here one tick and gone the next.
Speaking to myself now!
 
Woods 2IC sent me that many years ago.
It's not bad, and similar to how I would do it.
I can't remember why they sent to me, perhaps they were partying at the time!
They also sent me detailed diagrams of tracks, with every conceivable measurement, and even how deep the dirt was at various points.

It was here one tick and gone the next.
Speaking to myself now!
I removed them and any reference to your name,my mistake
 
It's interesting that your sectional standards sum to your overall standard, which is very different to how I do it, again we all do things differently, but in saying that my Exp/act Track speed for sectionals will nearly always sum to the overall Exp/act track speed.
When you are establishing standard times for sections my first thought was do them in the same way as you do the standard times for the overall race , you do this and they don’t add up to the overall standard time and I just thought immediately that wasn’t satisfactory, maybe I’m wrong ?
For the overall standards I adjust every time by every horse for class, weight and estimated going allowance with calibration to average 0 going on good going, if you iterate enough times the going allowance changes and the adjusted times group together and the going allowance gets more accurate and you are left with no fast outliers and a list of adjusted times for each CD, when I have these adjusted times I use a low percentile to calculate the standard time maybe 2.5%, then I calculate what the standard time would be if i used say 15%.
Then I look at all the adjusted times I used that were within this 15% (remember they are adjusted for class to it’s not just the fastest times it’s the fastest v expectation) so I now have the top 15% of times adjusted for all factors and I use those to calculate the optimum ratio for each section, from that I can then calculate the standard time for each section or combination of sections as ratio * 2.5% standard.
I don’t think there is a textbook describing how to calculate standard times, so just my way of doing it.
I have a python script now that does all this for me for U.K. tracks when I feed it data , it has all my calculations and does the iterations and reports back the standards times, when I have all the sectional data I will incorporate that into my UK script, but I only started looking at U.K. again recently , more interested in HK.
 
Last edited:
That's the code I wrote long ago to make standards.
Simple VB.net
And the results, just sort of gives the baselines to go digging further.
A couple of seconds(or less) for 15 years of data.
S StephenJB , you are very open and helpful with what you have. I assume you would have to have the same data structure for your code to be used ? Like I always say with ARAZI91 ARAZI91 and the stuff he posts you should write a book, although I’m not sure if many are interested like they were in the days or Beyer or Mordin now.
This has motivated me to get chat gpt to write a python script for my HK standards method.
 
Back
Top