• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Toughest sports of all

Larry

Mare
a shortenened 1 day cricket match that goes to Duckworth/Lewis method, I once saw a Kent cricket match where the losing team scored more runs & lost less wickets how does that work????

Sameernasri

Yearling
a shortenened 1 day cricket match that goes to Duckworth/Lewis method, I once saw a Kent cricket match where the losing team scored more runs & lost less wickets how does that work????
I love cricket alot but till now, I haven't understood how D/L method works

Sameernasri

Yearling
they even take overs into consideration

D/L method
...... it is all worked out according to the resources that the last batting team has at their disposal when the rain break comes, and how fast they scored and did not lose many wickets in the process and how that compared with the team batting first at the same stage. Pretty complicated but I have a book on this with full explanation and working examples. ;)

Sameernasri

Yearling

...... it is all worked out according to the resources that the last batting team has at their disposal when the rain break comes, and how fast they scored and did not lose many wickets in the process and how that compared with the team batting first at the same stage. Pretty complicated but I have a book on this with full explanation and working examples. ;)
Your right and what I fail to know is all that complicated calculation. And the exact runs a team would need.
And If am not wrong the team batting second has advantage of that

And If am not wrong the team batting second has advantage of that
.... not sure what you mean by that. Advantage and Disadvantage all depends on the situation at the rain break and how the team batting last has performed up to that point. I believe the D/L Formula does not come into operation unless 10 overs have been bowled, but I cannot be sure there. ;)

Larry

Mare
retriever retriever tiddlywinks is a game not a sport, a sport is something you can’t do in your normal clothing ( a very wide definition) so although you can play football in a suit if you wished it wouldn’t be helpful or practical
Snooker & Darts are games not sports, there are of course exceptions to this rule but it is a very pliable rule

Sameernasri

Yearling
.... not sure what you mean by that. Advantage and Disadvantage all depends on the situation at the rain break and how the team batting last has performed up to that point. I believe the D/L Formula does not come into operation unless 10 overs have been bowled, but I cannot be sure there. ;) 5 overs must have been bowled minimum for 20 over game for D/L to come into play.
And what I meant is like in 20 over game, most teams target to hit more in last 4-5 overs and when first team reaches 15th over and there is rain, it will be tough for them as the second batting side can plan easily when to strike more.

...... five overs had to be bowled, I thought it was something like that, but it is fairly complicated for the average cricket fan to fully understand. ;)

davejb

Stallion
Tennis.
A game my wife watches like a mesmerised rabbit staring at a stoat. They can add hours to a match just by getting a point alternately instead of taking it in turns to string two together and speed things up. The scoring system 15-30-40-(advantage) - GAME..... I sometimes tell my wife one of them has scored a goal because they got a shot into the net, but then again I do start most major tournament watching binges by asking her how Bjorn Borg is doing, and when will Tim Henman be playing.

To actually PLAY the game is to sink into a pit of pointlessness, running to and fro when the best use of a nice day is to sit outside with a good book and a cool drink or three.

Oh, and the leading player is a vaccine denying retard who organised his own tournament (at which lots of them subsequently caught, and doubtless passed on, the virus) because the official tournaments were closed due to the pandemic.

I'm a great believer in the idea that most professional sportsmen should be remunerated in line with the 40's and 50's - let's say £20 a week plus a fiver if you turn up for training, maybe an extra quid for taking your kit home and washing it yourself. Do a Danny Blanchflower too - none of this hair product advertising, get your FA cup medal and see if you can make it really big, onto the Shredded Wheat box.
Dave

ArkRoyal

Administrator
Danny Blanchflower made one of the best known quotes on football: "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Take note Jose.

Last edited:

markfinn

Sire
After yesterday's refereeing performances they've just added a lot more unnecessary complication to both Rugby Union and Football - who both use video "assistance".
Rugby U is far too technical now - when neither the players or the officials know the rules - surely then its time to reassess exactly what is going wrong - as for this Var in football if the game is to be ruled by robots , then it should be played by robots.

Last edited:

pete

Dam
Rugby U is far to technical now the - when neither the players or the officials know the rules
I played (or rather was made to play) the position of "prop" in school. Am not sure any of us actually knew the rules ... All I remember is that I pretty much stumbled from scrum to scrum while the game went on around me in some form or another.

jesSIE

Yearling
I agree. Tennis. Definitely tennis.
A game that I cannot watch without tears. Senseless running back and forth trying not to miss the tennis ball ... I would rather play with this ball with my dog and then there are more emotions and benefits