Chesham, I don't know anything about him except for these couple of pieces in the mag. In fact these were the only two although it was promoted as a series. The mag folded after 14 months even with articles from Ken Hussey, Philip Alexander and Bryan Cottam from the old Sporting Chron
Hi
Jackform
Philip Close wrote a Booklet Published by Tony Peach
I had this letter published in the Raceform Update Forum Page
‘At the time of writing, I have just read `Close Encounters of the VDW Kind`. The author may find the the analysis of race 4148 enlightening and increase profitability of his selection method. I would ask the question why move from the original platform?.By coincidence, race 4148 was the next engagement for Stanton Harcourt. To save space, I have reduced the original field to the main contenders.
Race 4148 (Class 135) One Mile Handicap, Doncaster Sept 13th 1997.
Horses : Restructure, Stanton Harcourt, Yorkie George, Jo Mell, Al Azhar, Russian Music, Pomona.
Previous Race & Distance : Restructure (98/7f) Stanto Harcourt (171/1m) Yorkie George (482/6f) Jo Mell (235/7f202yds) Al Azhar (97/1m1f) Russian Music (235/7f202yds) Pomona (47/1m)
Restructure, Al Azhar and Pomona can be discarded as they are all raised in class. Pomona achieved a decent speed figure last time, but note the course was Windsor Doncaster is a different proposition.
Yorkie George ran in the highest class, but could only finish 17th, hardly the kind of form to win this race.Jo Mell ran in the same race as Russian Music and is not weighted to reverse the placing.
Stanton Harcourt is again dropping in class, but showed a downturn in form judged by the speed figure achieved. Also has not raced for 55 days.Why?
In race 3051 (class 123) Russian Music recorded a SF of 51. Next pushed up in class to 225, recorded a season best of 78, giving an indication that the horse is being primed to win.Now being dropped in class for this race and set to carry 1lb less having shown improved form and is shown to be a probable winner in the race.
Result Russin Music won 8/1.”
I’m have just realised that Lee seems to use this approach, although at the time I had no knowledge of Lee’s Work