• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Standard Times

his is an exercise just for the purpose of equating everything to the theoretical 100 rated horse to establish some sort of standard time, so if a 50 rated horse is carrying 7 stone, it suggests that his time might be 78lb better than he actually achieved to get a 100 rating, so if its 3.9lb/length to keep it simple, he would have completed 20 lengths sooner and his time would be 4 seconds quicker (20 * 0.2).

Many years ago I was talking to Dave Edwards "TS" and one of the first questions he asked me was "how do you deal with racing weight's carried over 10-0", I replied I have a cutoff top weight limit of 10-0 and a bottom weight of 8-0, so if a flat horse in an amateur race carries 11-6 you weight it as carrying 10-0, he replied correct.
The classic example of this was in an amateur race on Derby day the winner of the race rated higher than the Derby winner due to it carrying something like 11-6, this anomaly happens because racing weights are not linear i.e 1lb does not equal one length.
The most amazing thing about using cutoff weights is it actually works, Dave Edwards was the first to do this.

Mike.

Many years ago I was talking to Dave Edwards "TS" and one of the first questions he asked me was "how do you deal with racing weight's carried over 10-0", I replied I have a cutoff top weight limit of 10-0 and a bottom weight of 8-0, so if a flat horse in an amateur race carries 11-6 you weight it as carrying 10-0, he replied correct.
The classic example of this was in an amateur race on Derby day the winner of the race rated higher than the Derby winner due to it carrying something like 11-6, this anomaly happens because racing weights are not linear i.e 1lb does not equal one length.
The most amazing thing about using cutoff weights is it actually works, Dave Edwards was the first to do this.

Mike.
For my figures I apply a top cut off of 10st but not the lower cut off.

Of over 32,000 AW runners at Lingfield between 2013-2020, only 183 carried less than 8 stone and 339 more than 10 stone.

AustinDillon75 AustinDillon75

Back in the day's of the lightweights, where jockeys like a good friend of mine Willie Jess sadly no longer with us who could ride at 6-0, imagine what that would do to speed figure adjustments.

Due to the jockeys these day's being bigger, the minimum weight scale has risen about 10lbs since the day's of the lightweights, maybe someone like Chesham Chesham can confirm this, just recently due to Covid-19, the jockey's received another 3lb allowance due to them not being able to use the sauna.

The best quote about riding weight came from George Baker who's minimum riding weight was 9-0 he said; I get to ride the good horses, whereas Chris Catlin who is a lightweight can't win on 75% of his mounts.

Mike.

Last edited:
I
AustinDillon75 AustinDillon75

Back in the day's of the lightweights, where jockeys like a good friend of mine Willie Jess sadly no longer with us who could ride at 6-0, imagine what that would do to speed figure adjustments.
Due to the jockeys these day's being bigger, the minimum weight scale has risen about 10lbs since the day's of the lightweights, maybe someone like Chesham Chesham can confirm this, just recently due to Covid-19, the jockey's received another 3lb allowance due to them not being able to use the sauna.
The best quote about weight came from George Baker who's minimum riding weight was 9-0 said; I get to ride the good horses, whereas Chris Catlin who is a lightweight can't win on 75% of his mounts

Mike.
72B3BAB4-8B14-4707-AB51-2F4582B4AE15.jpeg

TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother might be a silly question this but when rating the race should this principle be used with all runners or just the winners?

@
TheBluesBrother
TheBluesBrother might be a silly question this but when rating the race should this principle be used with all runners or just the winners?
I start off by rating the winners of the races which I then use to calculate the going allowances, then I rate the rest.

Yesterday's top flat speed figures:
flat.png

Mike.

Back