• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

Hossein is so inconsistent. Doesn't like people up close it seems. Trump played quite well for the first round of an event.

Been a big week for the qualifiers, 7 down and 4 seeds gone. Brecel ill, Selby terrible after interval yesterday but a little better, though too late today. Good to see some shocks and revitalised older players doing well. Williams in a battle with Si as well, and Wilson not great this morning against Bingham. The match practise from those qualifiers has helped this year but maybe just the travelling and months of extra games those top players have had since February.

About half way through the first round now, will update in a couple of days.

Crucible departure 'inevitable', says Higgins.

As John Higgins prepares for his 30th World Championship appearance, the four-time champion thinks a move away from the Crucible is "inevitable".
The famous Sheffield venue has staged snooker's biggest competition every year since 1977, with the current agreement due to expire in 2027.
Higgins has never missed the event since his tournament debut in 1995, taking the top prize in 1998, 2007, 2009 and 2011.
World number one Ronnie O'Sullivan is among those saying it should be staged elsewhere, with Higgins telling BBC Sport: "I think it's inevitable. The landscape of the snooker world will have changed in three years.
"I'm just lucky that I've won it here. It will be sad to leave, it's been a massive part of my life.
"I think if you asked other players who have never lifted the trophy here, that would be something they would probably regret for the rest of their lives.
"The bank balance might not say that [for future winners], but if you look back on the history and the champions before them, they would love to have won it here because it's special. It's the best place to play snooker."
There has been speculation about the World Championship possibly moving to Saudi Arabia, China or a larger venue in the UK.
The Crucible's capacity of just under 1,000 spectators means demand for tickets often far exceeds supply.
Higgins, 48, opens his 2024 title bid against Jamie Jones on Wednesday, calling the Welshman who beat former champion Neil Robertson in qualifying a "tough, tough player".
"I feel good about my game and I can't wait to get out there and play," said the Scot. "I just want to immerse myself in the tournament and give it everything.
"I still get the same feeling every time I come here, there's still the same buzz.
"I'm just proud that I'm still competing 30 years later." ;)

An update on the draw with ratings including all latest scores. Those in yellow still playing.

Some improved efforts yesterday, Kyren Wilson and Mark Allen impressive in their games against lowly ranked opponents. Si again showed his liking for the Crucible in beating Williams. Ding and Lisowski has to be the best game so far, both in great shape.

Then there was Milkins and Pang! Probably one of the worst games in recent Crucible history, they missed so many easy pots. Pang for some reason tried to find the hardest way to pot the next ball, he was just avoiding the easiest route . I have never seen him do that before, whether it just got to him or what, who knows? Maybe Milkins just dragged him down to his level. Will need a big improvement to compete against Gilber, but have seen that before, the pressure is off ranking points wise now.

For John Higgins, means he now has to win 2 games to stay in the Top 16 at the end of the season - at least one will be Mark Allen, no easy task for him that.

The draw has opened nicely for Trump, to semi finals at least. Though Ford playing like he did against Williams in the last event will be no pushover.

1713946752866.png

So the latest World rankings and mine in comparison. A few differences - Ford, Milkins, Day (found out yesterday he is being coached by Chris Henry again so that is always a plus - Day is much better at his best, around 16th I would say but very inconsistent and had a poor season, a little better against Hawkins yesterday), Higgins, Jak Jones, Da;e/

1713947457219.png

Snooker icon Mark Williams hints he has played his last Crucible match after first-round exit

Three-time world champion Mark Williams has hinted he may not return to the Crucible next year following his 10-9 defeat to Si Jiahui in the first round of this year's tournament.
Three-time champion Mark Williams has admitted he may have played his final World Snooker Championship match after he was knocked out in the first round by Si Jiahui.

Williams was beaten 10-9 by the 21-year-old, who reached the semi-finals at last year's World Championships, and stated after the game that he might not be back for next year's tournament.
When asked about his future, Williams said: "Who knows what will happen? I cannot keep coming to this venue. I am 50 next year. I look around and I have loved every minute of it. If I will be back next year, I don't know.

"Who knows? You cannot keep going on forever. I will miss it. Fingers crossed you will see me play next year but who knows? It's a tough game, and tough to keep getting back to these venues.
"You have to treat it as if you are not going to get back here." Williams also hailed Si's performance, branding him a "future world champion" as he prepares to take on Jak Jones in the second round.

"Si was excellent," he added. "I didn't play very well throughout the match. His break at the end was one of the best you will see. If he can do those breaks more frequently, then he's a future world champion, no question.

"He has the potential to win it. Whether it is this year, who knows?" In response to Williams' praise, Si said: "I'm very happy with these compliments so I have to thank him and it means a lot coming from him. I will do my best but I don't think in my level at the moment I could really do it.
"Mark missed a few chances and I went 8-5 ahead. Towards the end I wasn't as calm. I always felt like the challenger, trying to take him down. I'm very happy to beat such a difficult opponent."
Williams is the sixth seeded player to have been knocked out in the first round, with reigning world champion Luca Brecel, Mark Selby, Ali Carter, Gary Wilson and Zhang Anda already eliminated. ;)

An update on the draw with ratings including all latest scores. Those in yellow still playing.

Some improved efforts yesterday, Kyren Wilson and Mark Allen impressive in their games against lowly ranked opponents. Si again showed his liking for the Crucible in beating Williams. Ding and Lisowski has to be the best game so far, both in great shape.

Then there was Milkins and Pang! Probably one of the worst games in recent Crucible history, they missed so many easy pots. Pang for some reason tried to find the hardest way to pot the next ball, he was just avoiding the easiest route . I have never seen him do that before, whether it just got to him or what, who knows? Maybe Milkins just dragged him down to his level. Will need a big improvement to compete against Gilber, but have seen that before, the pressure is off ranking points wise now.

For John Higgins, means he now has to win 2 games to stay in the Top 16 at the end of the season - at least one will be Mark Allen, no easy task for him that.

The draw has opened nicely for Trump, to semi finals at least. Though Ford playing like he did against Williams in the last event will be no pushover.

View attachment 145145
...... I just looked at the results and Ding lost to Jack Lisowski 9-10 according to the results I looked at. Which one is right?
See below. Just found this out as I backed Lisowski earlier on.

;)

Last edited:

World Snooker Championship: Jack Lisowski holds nerve in instant classic to oust Ding Junhui in decider

Rob Hemingway

ByRob Hemingway
Published 24/04/2024 at 13:50 GMT+1

The first-round meeting between Ding Junhui and Jack Lisowski fully lived up to its billing, with the pair going toe-to-toe when they resumed on Wednesday. Lisowski had looked well set when forging into a 9-7 lead and going well, but his Chinese opponent roared back to level at 9-9. However, 'Jackpot' had the last word as two stunning long reds in the last helped get him over the line. ;)

Yes Lisowski won with an excellent break in the last - definitely game of the tournament so far for quality. The previous you quote Delboy99 Delboy99 was before today's session.

Chris Henry is some guy, Day lost 6 in a row to the interval tonight and looked gone, came back and was his very best. Higgins another revitalised by the interval to win 4-1 and take a 5-4 lead into tomorrow. O'Sullivan was far above anything seen so far earlier on today. Only Lisowski, Ding and Kyren Wilson anywhere near that display.

Updated draw - 2 games still to sort.

Have to like Gilbert, Murphy, Trump and Lisowski. The other 2 I can see being close but Kyren should win his. Day will need to play whole game like end tonight to compete with O'Sullivan, Higgins if he gets through needs the ranking points to stay in Top 16 but Allen is a tough game to do that.

1713995552698.png

Ding Junhui believes the World Snooker Championship should go on a global tour if it is to leave Sheffield, wanting to see a string of nations hosting the sport’s biggest event.

The tournament is under contract to be held at the Crucible until 2027 but it now seems extremely unlikely to stay at the Sheffield theatre past that point.

Matchroom Sport chairman Barry Hearn says he has asked Sheffield City Council to build a much bigger venue than the 980-seat Crucible and if they don’t then the tournament will go elsewhere.

Hearn has suggested that Saudi Arabia are interested in hosting the tournament, while he also suggested something of a trip around the planet for the World Championship.
‘There may be a plan of saying, well we are the World Championships, we’ll take this tournament round the world,’ said Hearn. ‘So we’ll go to Saudi Arabia for one year, then we’ll go to Beijing the next and then we’ll come back to Sheffield and then we’ll go to [Las] Vegas. There’s a whole different way of looking at it.’

Ding, who has been an integral part of the explosion of snooker in China over the last 20 years, also feels the World Championship should live up to its name and move around the globe, in a bid to create new markets and audiences for the game.

‘World Championship, in my opinion, they shouldn’t sign a long contract for that,’ said Ding after defeat to Jack Lisowski in the opening round in Sheffield. Maybe hold it in Asia, in Africa, America, Europe, every year [somewhere different] would be good. Then the other tournaments can be local ones.
‘It’s the biggest and most important tournament, so if they want to move it then move it. Let’s see what happens because it has never happened before.’
Ding has long been a resident of Sheffield, with his own snooker academy in the city, and he says he would love to win the World Championship for the first time in the South Yorkshire city before it leaves.

‘I want to win it before they move,’ he said. ‘I don’t know [if I can]. I try to believe it.’ ;)

From Snookerhq.com

Shaun Murphy continues his challenge to win the 2024 World Snooker Championship on Friday at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

The Magician beat Lyu Haotian 10-5 in the first round to set up an intriguing tie against old rival Stephen Maguire.

The pair rose through the junior ranks together during the 1990s before becoming stars of the professional scene a decade later.

They have faced each other on numerous occasions in the past, including at the World Championship two years ago when Maguire beat Murphy in the first round.

But one infamous incident between the duo is constantly brought up from a showdown 20 years ago at the Grand Prix when Murphy was alleged to have played a part in Maguire getting docked a frame.

In the latest episode of his podcast with Phil Seymour, the 2005 world champion has attempted again to set the record straight.

“What happened was, we turned up to play our match,” Shaun Murphy said on the award-winning OneFourSeven podcast.

“Stephen walked out into the arena, he didn’t have his chalk with him. Because he didn’t have it with him, it caused the match to start late.”

“As I was filling up my water with the ice and stuff, I looked up to see him leaving the arena and called the referee over to my corner to ask him where Stephen was going.

“I’d never seen that happen before. So the referee and I had a good chat about it – where had he gone and why had he gone – and this is where it gets messy.

“Because on screen, and with the subsequent docking of a frame for causing the match to start late, it looks as if I said to the referee that ‘he’s out of line, he’s broke the rules, I want him docked a frame.’

“I think, from memory, we were discussing the rules. I may have said to the referee is he within the rules? The referee was very clear and said he’d allowed him to go backstage.

“What nobody saw, because it was behind the line of the cameras, was that as Stephen reentered the arena, he was followed into the arena by Mike Ganley.

“The head tournament director, who before Stephen had even got back to the field of play, or had any interaction with the referee, docked Stephen on the spot.

“There was no consultation between the ref and the tournament director. It was Mike Ganley who did it.

“Even if I had said to the referee to dock him a frame, which I didn’t, it wasn’t the referee who docked him the frame. It was Mike Ganley.

“There was no contact between Mike and the referee. Stephen looked at me, I looked at him. He sees me 1-0 up, and of course he thinks that I’ve read the rule book and pulled him for starting the match late.

“It’s not actually what happened. I think looking back at it, we were both much younger, we were both full of testosterone.

“I regret my part in it. I wish I had just kept my mouth shut, because it’s got me into trouble.

“I remember they cut back to the studio and Steve Davis called it the worst piece of sportsmanship he’d ever seen.

“He really threw me under the bus, and really to this day, we’re talking about it 20-odd years later, it’s still following me around.

“People still think that I demanded he be docked a frame, and it’s not quite what happened.”

Murphy also addressed the ongoing whispers of a potential breakaway tour that would send shockwaves across the sport.

Several high-profile players have delivered cryptic messages in recent weeks, including Mark Williams and John Higgins.

The Class of ’92 legends have both hinted that it could be their last appearances at the Crucible Theatre this year.

Although Williams insists that he will be playing snooker of some description next season, the Welshman hasn’t committed to where.

“Well, I mean, there are rumours afoot of breakaway tours,” Shaun Murphy said.

“Nobody else seems to want to talk about it, but there are rumours around. I saw on social media my name get mentioned that Murphy signed an NDA not to talk about it.”

“For clarity, I haven’t. I have not been approached by anyone about anything. I only know what I read.

“So it was quite amusing to see my name featured in it – someone tweeted, ‘you don’t have to be a Magician to know who I’m talking about,’ from one of these anonymous accounts.

“But there are a lot of rumours flying around. John Higgins even said coming into the event something along the lines of, ‘I’m going to go to the Crucible for one more crack at it.’

“Again, you don’t have to be a super genius to work out what these guys are trying to say.

“I don’t know who’s been approached and been talked to about this breakaway tour, if there is one. I don’t know who’s been approached.

“But it sounds as if, potentially, those two have.”

Shaun Murphy plays Stephen Maguire in the last 16 of the 2024 World Snooker Championship across three sessions on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

See the Masters prizemoney has gone up today - £350,000 winner, up £100,000 and extra £40,000 for the second. Looks like snooker is the next sport to disappear to the Middle East - I might get more time to do other things!!

Robert Milkins chucks cue at the floor in anger and 'loses it big time' at Crucible.

Robert Milkin couldn't hide his frustration as he missed an important pot versus David Gilbert in the second round of the World Championship.
A snooker star launched his cue in disgust as he battled against himself, as well as his opponent, at the World Championship.

Robert Milkins has been involved in a scrappy battle with David Gilbert in the second round at the Crucible. During the 12th frame, with Gilbert 7-4 up, Milkins attempted an ambitious cannon as he looked to build a break.
However, after missing the pot by a long way, the Milkman couldn’t conceal his anger, hurling his cue across the floor. Gilbert took advantage of Milkins’ erratic form by taking the frame to go 8-4 up in the best-of-25 affair. ;)

Latest ratings after Milkins defeat and Jones leading Si 7-3. Milkins has been very stressed this week, a poor season got to him I expect and Gilbert was gifted it from halfway through the 2nd session. Trump also had an easy time but has stepped up a gear frin the furst riybd. Si lost 5 frames on the black so far as Jones remains steady.

1714158955145.png

Trump rejects offer to join breakaway snooker tour.

Former world champion Judd Trump has revealed he rejected an approach to join a potential breakaway snooker tour, saying he was "not interested one bit".
There has been speculation the sport's biggest names could be tempted to leave the existing World Snooker Tour (WST) and play in lucrative events elsewhere.
But world number two Trump, the 2019 Crucible winner, said he instantly refused and there was no chance he would quit the WST.
"A few people tried to contact me and I couldn't be bothered," said the 34-year-old. "It was a few months ago. These people came to my brother and he said, 'Do you want to listen?' and I was like, 'No, just [tell them to] go away'.
"I'm very happy where I am. I need something with history, heritage; I need something to play for.
"I wouldn't get out of bed for an exhibition kind of series. I want the biggest challenges. I look forward to playing in more different places and hopefully World Snooker can take us to new territories."

'I don't want to waste my prime on exhibition matches'​

WST rules state players are free to compete in any event, as long as they do not clash with existing WST competitions.
Earlier this week, influential former chairman Barry Hearn said the tour would pass the £20m prize money mark next season, with the pot having been £3.5m when he gained control of snooker in 2010.
The sport has long held major events in China and Asia, and interest in snooker is rapidly growing in the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia having hosted its first WST tournament in March and Qatar lined up to stage an event in the first half of 2025.
Asked if the breakaway tour approach had come from China, Trump said: "I don't know, I didn't even get that far. I'm not interested one bit.
"I'm in my prime. If I was older and at the end of my career maybe it would be different, but I don't want to waste my prime on exhibition matches.
"I would be a lot happier winning my money than being gifted it. Where I am in my career, how I'm playing and the success I've been having, I feel I can earn this money and really have a sense of achievement.
"That's something my mum and dad would want as well. My mum and dad would be more proud if I did it that way."

Snooker won't become divided like golf - Trump​

Ronnie O'Sullivan this month agreed a three-year ambassadorial deal with WST and Riyadh Season. Part of that contract will involve him mentoring aspiring players in the Middle East, while it also incorporates a commitment to play every WST event in Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi Arabia-backed LIV tour in golf has effectively split that sport in two, but Trump felt the same thing could not happen in snooker as not enough key players would be interested in leaving the WST.
"I don't think there's any real worry," added Trump, who sealed a 13-7 win against Tom Ford on Saturday to move into the quarter-finals of the World Championship.
"I don't think there's enough players or names that could do damage. Ronnie is the only one if he left.
"I don't think people are that bothered by anyone else. What I've established in the game alongside Ronnie, if I'm staying here the tour will be a strong place." ;)

Stephen Maguire – ‘A wee bit of emotion came out’.

Stephen Maguire beat Shaun Murphy 13-9 to reach the quarter-finals of the 2024 World Snooker Championship on Sunday in Sheffield.

The former world number two failed to qualify twelve months ago and had to emerge from Judgement Day in the preliminaries this year.
But back-to-back triumphs over seeded players has seen him reach the last eight at the Crucible Theatre for the eighth time in his career.

Maguire’s clash with Murphy had been billed as a grudge match, given the pair’s longstanding rivalry since their junior days and the infamous chalkgate incident from 20 years ago.
There were a few fiery exchanges during the second session on Saturday, with 2005 champion Murphy punching the air upon pinching a couple of close frames to stay in touch.
Yet Maguire gave an explosive fist pump of his own after winning the final frame of the middle session to establish a healthy 10-6 cushion.
Murphy fought gallantly, but the Magician didn’t really bring his A-game and Maguire wrapped up the contest in style with a terrific break of 127.
“It was satisfying to finish off with the first century of the match,” Stephen Maguire, who shared a respectful handshake with Murphy at the end, told the World Snooker Tour.
“He looked as though he was comfortable there in that session, so I was starting to get geared up for a comeback and a close finish.”

“But once I got my chance, I finished it pretty well.
“It was huge (to go 10-6 in front). I had resigned to the fact that it was going to be 9-7.
“So going out at 5-3, obviously you want to win the session 5-3 or 6-2, but four each is decent. For me to nick that frame to get that four-frame lead, it was huge.
“There was a lot of pressure out there, and the crowd get involved. They are that close to you that you end up getting involved with the crowd when you don’t want to.
“A wee bit of emotion came out – well, a big bit of emotion came out – but don’t get used to it, it won’t happen again.
“If it didn’t mean anything to me, there’d be no emotion like that. I never planned that or anything.
“That’s what happens when every player goes to the dressing room – they go nuts. They hold it in out there in the arena.
“That was just one of those times that I let it slip a little bit.”

Stephen Maguire will take on David Gilbert in the quarter-finals on Tuesday and Wednesday, meaning at least one qualifier will feature at the single table setup in 2024.
Maguire, a six-time ranking event winner, has reached the semi-finals in Sheffield twice before but has lost his last three quarter-final encounters at the Crucible.
“It should be (a good game). Me and Dave get on off the table, we grew up with each other for the best part of 30 years.”
“He’s a great player. I think he’s not had a great season by his standards. I’m probably the same, so we’re coming into a good game at the right time.
“The quarter-finals is a pressure match. I’ve won a couple of quarter-finals, I’ve lost a couple of quarter-finals – it’s a round you don’t want beat in.
“Because that arena just changes, and it does become the best arena in the world with the one table.”
The remainder of Sunday, meanwhile, will see the second sessions of four more round-of-16 ties take place.

Mark Allen and John Higgins resume at 4-4, while Stuart Bingham holds a narrow 5-3 advantage over Jack Lisowski.
Tournament favourite Ronnie O’Sullivan leads Ryan Day 5-3 with Kyren Wilson enjoying a 6-2 cushion against debutant Joe O’Connor.
The second round will then conclude on Monday. ;)

Back