• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Form outdated

formtheory

Stallion
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd bring this up here and hear what everyones views are on the matter.

I'm not going to name anyone but it was not anyone on the forum.

I was told recently that Form is outdated and useless to make profit with nowadays.

He said the bookies and Betfair love people that read form as there's no value there, no edge.

What's all your views?

Me personally, I think he's wrong but have been thinking about what he said.

Would love to hear your thoughts,
Have a great Xmas everone
Paul.

Hi formtheory formtheory I work off my own ratings and form reading , so i would ask your contact if what he says is correct then how come i can no longer obtain a bet off my own Bookmaker accounts. ? PS Did he also say what is working.?

I must admit i have trouble with form now if i really put my mind to things maybe could draw level, maybe the only edge is with systems but even then i seem to have some long lossing runs, in the old days proir to 1996 i could control my strike rate with form study but not now it seems.

Maybe some BMs limit accounts just incase one hits a winning streak, and prefer the money better that some folk just throw at them. Just from own view and experiences this, i know other punters look from different angles than myself.

He uses data of some sort not sure what data to be honest.

He said I was stuck in the past and part of the cloth cap brigade, he said weights carried, present form all that was a waste of time and already factored in the odds.

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd bring this up here and hear what everyones views are on the matter.

I'm not going to name anyone but it was not anyone on the forum.

I was told recently that Form is outdated and useless to make profit with nowadays.

He said the bookies and Betfair love people that read form as there's no value there, no edge.

What's all your views?

Me personally, I think he's wrong but have been thinking about what he said.

Would love to hear your thoughts,
Have a great Xmas everone
Paul.

Load of balls - if he were correct there would be no winners over 4/1 or such - every single day you find trainers that overturn the rating's - some wins will be down to others misfortune no doubt - but misfortune can often be allayed by other factors, such as keeping a horse away from trouble - finding the better ground - simply running the rest of their hooves - sticking a claimer up - etc etc .

You should ask him to post his ideas on here - I am fairly sure he would get a lively discussion.

:) Well my cloth cap and old school MO has enabled me to back several 20/1 > winners this year and my ytd Roi stands at 45%, facts which kind of devalue his statement.? My own view is that with all of the current automation and increasing numbers of punters betting off quick fix one click findings that the pen A4 and some honest hard work is the real edge, and perhaps it always has been.? :)

markfinn markfinn

That's what I said to him, I said what about false favs etc.. He said no such thing, BSP is pretty much perfect a horse priced at such and such price will win at the % they should overall.

I would argue that we all do "form reading" to some degree and rightly so, it strikes me that ratings and form are so closely related to each other as to make little or no difference. The biggest problem for me selecting a bet on the all weather is the pace of the race which obviously effects the overall timings , clearly there are people on here including blues brother who are on top of this brief but my mind goes back to the old lingfield surface where from anywhere up to a mile races were run at a very good pace...not today.
Very hard work form reading but i still enjoy it.

I too love the form reading, and I suppose what's the point if you don't!
I would say to enhance the prospect of profit.? As someone who spends several hours every day attempting to read form i would say i like as opposed to love it ,but i also understand that for myself it is very much a need.

All 'form', past or current, is simply a history of past occurrences and always has, by definition, been 'out of date'. The benefits are in how you read or translate the past and apply it to the present.
Form reading is probably a declining art and I suspect the original writer is probably not a master of this.

Computer programs and databases can only hold past events, which on its own will not predict the future.

Computer programs and databases can only hold past events, which on its own will not predict the future.
Very true :) In recent years i have used RI and like it plenty but i have to grin in respect that my very best years to date came prior to this and when using the same company's paper form books.Using RI has not increased my ability as a punter ,although i will confess that it has made the process more enjoyable. :)

Just the other day i was asked by a lad in the pub who bets everyday ...." which are the biggest hurdles or fences"? I laughed until it became obvious from the reaction of others that they too were unsure, now i know that seems extreme but if we had been talking about cars or gardening i would have been confused but the difference being i don't waste my money on those things, that said they simply enjoy betting.

The current and smart bookmaker PR calls them Recreational punters ,and i see nothing wrong with being such.The only point i would make being if you accept that you are betting for fun, then also be prepared to pay for that fun.

https://www.flatstats.co.uk/horse-racing-form.html

The above is Not my personal view regarding form as I run a thread about Well In and that involves using the form one horse to benchmark another.

Some races aren’t considered stong form, ie future results do,not see any winners coming from a particular Race and therefore,perhaps the winner did not beat much when winning. You can have 12 poor horses in race and one of them has to win, but what is the value of that win.

one aspect is Key Race Form, where Horses have gone into their next race and have won in a higher class

See VDW - Systematic Betting

Back