JennyK
Mare
Regarding VDW's examples,
T
Tufnel, it is a matter of working at them with provisional hypotheses in mind and, as one does, sharpening up those hypotheses as one understands more.
From the last month or so's work, I can now see I was premature in thinking that the highest ability-rated "form" horse was the class/form horse, ie from VDW's point of view the most likely winner. It often is, because often it will be a consistent "form" horse, but what if we have in the same race a "form" horse with a higher ability rating than a consistent "form" horse?
It was clear from his 1988 Mackeson evaluation that VDW occasionally ruled out a class/form horse because of the "other factors" but what did he mean by "other factors" and how did he consider them in practice? We know from the Mackeson one that they included distance and going, and from other examples course type. Weight? Lack of key horse support for class droppers? On the first he said a little but on the second as far as I can see nothing directly.
The above questions can only be answered by understanding VDW's examples.
The good news is that Lee was undoubtedly correct when he wrote that the more one studies the examples, the more one sees. Roushayd is relatively easy, being the highest ability-rated horse in the race. Pipsted less so, as only fifth in the ranking. As you discover more about how VDW assessed "form" status it will I think be clear to you that Pipsted was the only "form" horse in the top five, (and a consistent "form" horse), significantly ahead of the other "form" horses AND with very much better data (laying it out as per the Roushayd tables) than the others. Because of the presence of higher ability-rated horses in the field, which might return to form, the terms in which VDW compared Little Owl ("racing certainty") and Sunset Cristo ("almost a certainty") would have been in my view a better way to compare Roushayd and Pipsted than the one he chose.
Re taking a break, that sounds like a good idea. I have found it difficult analysing current races while hopefully making significant research progress with VDW's method, not just because doing both one's time is split but also because one has the dilemma of whether to modify how one analyses a current race in the light of what one thinks one is learning from the research. As a consequence, I've analysed fewer current races over the last few weeks than I otherwise would have and won't be focusing solely on current races for several more weeks, when hopefully I'll have more solid answers to the questions I referred to above. I am happy to cut back on current race analysis because with solidly based answers to those questions, I think the <20%, >80% issue will be resolved. And I think it was because he had made greater progress than Guest on that which explains the much higher strike rate Lee achieved with pre-race posted selections on the Gummy forum.
From the last month or so's work, I can now see I was premature in thinking that the highest ability-rated "form" horse was the class/form horse, ie from VDW's point of view the most likely winner. It often is, because often it will be a consistent "form" horse, but what if we have in the same race a "form" horse with a higher ability rating than a consistent "form" horse?
It was clear from his 1988 Mackeson evaluation that VDW occasionally ruled out a class/form horse because of the "other factors" but what did he mean by "other factors" and how did he consider them in practice? We know from the Mackeson one that they included distance and going, and from other examples course type. Weight? Lack of key horse support for class droppers? On the first he said a little but on the second as far as I can see nothing directly.
The above questions can only be answered by understanding VDW's examples.
The good news is that Lee was undoubtedly correct when he wrote that the more one studies the examples, the more one sees. Roushayd is relatively easy, being the highest ability-rated horse in the race. Pipsted less so, as only fifth in the ranking. As you discover more about how VDW assessed "form" status it will I think be clear to you that Pipsted was the only "form" horse in the top five, (and a consistent "form" horse), significantly ahead of the other "form" horses AND with very much better data (laying it out as per the Roushayd tables) than the others. Because of the presence of higher ability-rated horses in the field, which might return to form, the terms in which VDW compared Little Owl ("racing certainty") and Sunset Cristo ("almost a certainty") would have been in my view a better way to compare Roushayd and Pipsted than the one he chose.
Re taking a break, that sounds like a good idea. I have found it difficult analysing current races while hopefully making significant research progress with VDW's method, not just because doing both one's time is split but also because one has the dilemma of whether to modify how one analyses a current race in the light of what one thinks one is learning from the research. As a consequence, I've analysed fewer current races over the last few weeks than I otherwise would have and won't be focusing solely on current races for several more weeks, when hopefully I'll have more solid answers to the questions I referred to above. I am happy to cut back on current race analysis because with solidly based answers to those questions, I think the <20%, >80% issue will be resolved. And I think it was because he had made greater progress than Guest on that which explains the much higher strike rate Lee achieved with pre-race posted selections on the Gummy forum.
Last edited: