• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Can scraping RP be done without Python and similar?

Hoffa

Yearling
Hi. I just wonder if its possible to scrape Racingpost without the use of Python or other programming language? Because i really suck at understanding how they work.

Thanks.

Hoffa Hoffa.

I used to scrape the RP site and had for a few years until they kept changing things every so often. Whether they still do that I do not know. I gave up after they altered things a third time as it was too much work and out of my comfort zone in the end..

I am sure that others do use Python who could assist you on here. Good luck with this.

Regards
Orion

Thanks to both of you for your answers! The only way then seems to be learning how to program with Python or similar.

Hi,

Have just logged on here for the first time in quite a while.

A couple of years ago, it maybe more, I developed a series of spreadsheets that would take data captured from the RP pages, dumped it into a sheet where it would be sifted, cleansed and reformatted if necessary and then a series of other sheets would draw from this data to populate a spreadsheet aimed at making users millions. The data capture routine was a simple copy and paste-special, and it functioned OK - so the answer to the original question is yes, you can capture data from the RP web pages without the need to program or "scrape" the underlying code. When the RP redesigned their page output it all became obsolete overnight, and I haven't looked at it since then.

I may may make this a mission again soon. Over the last twelve months I've been concentrating on polishing up a piece of work I use to make bets on the footie; win-draw-lose and correct scores options. Think I've got this to where I want it for the time-being, and so if the mod is happy I'll be making it available as a freebie for whoever fancies giving it a workout. I'll post a link to my web server.

Regards,

UK-21.

I had a scraper made using VBA about 2 years and it still works now, the site can stop it, but it just carries on where it left off when the sites recovers again.

Back