• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Wtf is going on

mick

Sire
Watching this mornings TV news i see.........DO NOT drive your car DO NOT get ill but hey the new Bond movie is out so all is well. ! I would put the boot in by reminding members that the clocks change in a months time but Admin would ban me and rightly so. :eek:

eeyore

Yearling
we are doom
look what the head of tranports saidLast week Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, said Europe’s driver shortage was equal to or worse than Britain’s, and claimed leaving the EU had helped “provide a solution”.
then you read this
A number of EU member states, including Germany, have longstanding HGV driver shortages. The most heavily affected countries are Poland (a shortage of 124,000 drivers) and Germany (45,000 to 60,000). But unlike in the UK, companies in the EU have been able to rely on nationals from their neighbours to fill the gaps, and the problems of empty supermarket shelves and panic-buying at petrol station forecourts have been avoided.
also
it might have to do something with the question of wages … They want to know if it’s something very good for their whole life and if you understand that being a trucker is something which many people really like it to be, and you find not enough [people], this has something to do with working conditions and this has to be thought about.”
and i did not know that when we exited the customs union … hauliers now pay tariffs to come into the country … the incentives to be here aren’t there in the same way.as they use to be
and finally i read that
Germany, have longstanding HGV driver shortages. The most heavily affected countries are Poland (a shortage of 124,000 drivers) and Germany (45,000 to 60,000). But unlike in the UK, companies in the EU have been able to rely on nationals from their neighbours to fill the gaps, and the problems of empty supermarket shelves and panic-buying at petrol station forecourts have been avoided.
you either love or hate the job also everbody circumstances are different its what suit you like any job really

eeyore

Yearling
we are doom2
just read this

There would be no fuel crisis if the government used the plans we put in place in 2012​

the real tragedy is that all of this was wholly avoidable. It didn’t take a genius to predict that Brexit would lead to a fall in EU nationals working as HGV drivers in the UK. In fact, the transport industry has been warning the government for months that urgent action was needed to address the chronic shortage of drivers. Back in June, the Road Haulage Association set out a list of 12 demands to help resolve the issue, including classing HGV drivers as skilled workers to make it easier to recruit them from abroad, and improving conditions in the sector

But instead of listening to these calls, the government ploughed ahead regardless, putting their anti-immigration Brexit ideology above the needs of the country. Even worse, the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, this weekend shamefully tried to pass the buck by claiming the whole fuel crisis was being caused by the public and the road haulage industry.
The transport secretary first promised last week to “move heaven and earth” to tackle the issue and said all measures were being considered. That was hardly going to calm people’s nerves. Then when people inevitably started to rush out to fill up their cars, he blamed the public instead of taking responsibility. This is typical of what we’ve come to expect from this incompetent Conservative government. First, they fail to plan ahead, then they blame everyone but themselves for the ensuing disaster.
god help us

Outlander

Gelding
we are doom2
just read this

There would be no fuel crisis if the government used the plans we put in place in 2012​

the real tragedy is that all of this was wholly avoidable. It didn’t take a genius to predict that Brexit would lead to a fall in EU nationals working as HGV drivers in the UK. In fact, the transport industry has been warning the government for months that urgent action was needed to address the chronic shortage of drivers. Back in June, the Road Haulage Association set out a list of 12 demands to help resolve the issue, including classing HGV drivers as skilled workers to make it easier to recruit them from abroad, and improving conditions in the sector

But instead of listening to these calls, the government ploughed ahead regardless, putting their anti-immigration Brexit ideology above the needs of the country. Even worse, the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, this weekend shamefully tried to pass the buck by claiming the whole fuel crisis was being caused by the public and the road haulage industry.
The transport secretary first promised last week to “move heaven and earth” to tackle the issue and said all measures were being considered. That was hardly going to calm people’s nerves. Then when people inevitably started to rush out to fill up their cars, he blamed the public instead of taking responsibility. This is typical of what we’ve come to expect from this incompetent Conservative government. First, they fail to plan ahead, then they blame everyone but themselves for the ensuing disaster.
god help us
My wife is always getting deliveries from Amazon , she is singly handedly causing the pollution . However one observation I would make is judging by the delivery drivers dropping off the parcels, we categorically do not have a shortage of Eastern European(mainly Romanian] drivers in this country in fact I’ve personally had parcels delivered by at least 50 different ones in the past year.
So its certainly not a lack of Romanians that is the problem, it’s just that Amazon has them all.

eeyore

Yearling
HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) drivers have an average age of 53 in the UK, with many looking forward to leaving the sedentary and lonely job, a think tank has said.
The sector, alongside many other critical parts of our economy, have long failed to respond and adapt to an ageing workforce.

“The average age of HGV drivers in the UK is 53. With just one in 50 lorry drivers aged under 25, and many drivers soon to retire, Brexit and Covid have only acted as accelerators of a long-overdue problem.”

Although many people retire at the state pension age of 66, a proportion drop out of work in their mid-50s, he said
then
mr dominic rabb has suggested offenders who have been given community sentences could be used to address the country’s lack of HGV drivers amid continuing concerns about fuel shortage how many has a HGV Licence already? no comment there

Last edited:

Outlander

Gelding
HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) drivers have an average age of 53 in the UK, with many looking forward to leaving the sedentary and lonely job, a think tank has said.
The sector, alongside many other critical parts of our economy, have long failed to respond and adapt to an ageing workforce.

“The average age of HGV drivers in the UK is 53. With just one in 50 lorry drivers aged under 25, and many drivers soon to retire, Brexit and Covid have only acted as accelerators of a long-overdue problem.”

Although many people retire at the state pension age of 66, a proportion drop out of work in their mid-50s, he said
Like you said the Germans also have the same problem but the Romanians can fill in the gaps, here we have a shortfall of Romanians and this is blamed on Brexit, but if Brexit is to blame how come this country has no problem being flooded by Romanian drivers working for Amazon, why isn’t Brexit stopping that.

eeyore

Yearling
outlander said
My wife is always getting deliveries from Amazon , she is singly handedly causing the pollution . However one observation I would make is judging by the delivery drivers dropping off the parcels, we categorically do not have a shortage of Eastern European(mainly Romanian] drivers in this country in fact I’ve personally had parcels delivered by at least 50 different ones in the past year.
So its certainly not a lack of Romanians that is the problem, it’s just that Amazon has them all.

i thought most Amazon driver are source out and drive vans not lorries

Outlander

Gelding
P
outlander said

i thought most Amazon driver are source out and drive vans not lorries
My point is why are the Romanian HGV drivers not available in this country, this is blamed on Brexit, but Amazon have no problem finding Romanians to deliver parcels to my wife, so it can‘t be Brexit stopping Romanians working here.
The country is absolutely flooded with foreigners delivering takeaways and parcels every day clearly nothing stopping these people working here. Maybe the Germans are paying more.

eeyore

Yearling
yes outlander it always about the money sandhog describe it beautiful in his earlier post
whats the point coming over here if your better off somewhere else not unless its your
last resort as i said everybody circumstances is different its what suit yourself

Sandhog

Gelding
The main three things English people are good at delivering are

The Royal Mail
Meals on Wheels
summons(es)

Romanians are the best at parcel delivery 'cos they're good at turning on a sixpence, and not being afraid to park anywhere. Very speedy deliverers.

markfinn

Sire

then
mr dominic rabb has suggested offenders who have been given community sentences could be used to address the country’s lack of HGV drivers amid continuing concerns about fuel shortage how many has a HGV Licence already? no comment there
Personally I dont many under 25 year olds or over 60 year olds driving around in 60 ton battering rams

eeyore

Yearling
there you have it money money money

European lorry drivers recruited to help prevent Christmas shortages are being offered salaries of up to a fifth more than their British counterparts.
Retail industry insiders say the higher salaries are required to attract EU drivers to the UK for such a short period of time, with the 5,000 temporary visas issued by the Government set to expire on Christmas Eve.

One retail figure said the pay differential made sense because EU lorry drivers were taking on temporary jobs that “have a tendency to pay higher” and lack the benefits of permanent roles.

However, they questioned whether the inflated salaries would be enough to attract EU drivers, when “they can just go to Germany, which already has a shortage of HGV drivers, without the need for a visa or the requirement to leave at any point”.

Companies using them will be expected to provide drivers with return travel, as well as any medical and accommodation bills on top of the increased salaries,
and guess what
Haulage industry figures have also warned that the increase in wages is likely to be passed down the supply chain to consumers.
money money money and it still may not be enough

pawras

Gelding
wages have been supressed in the haulage business as well others for years due to cheaper labour from the EU, now that's not so readily available the companies are crying foul, fk'm basically they'll have to lose a bit off the bottom line and pay UK people more like what they should have been or get rid of some of the dead wood I've encountered in many an office.

Last edited:

eeyore

Yearling
on a light note does anybody know if mr Farage after going to seven petrol station without petrol manage to finally got get some?