• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Win/Place test

Thanks for your comments and I find this quite extraordinary as I've just checked my spreadsheet again and using the Epsilon auto sum mode (Open Office Calc), it still comes up with the total as being £322.34 but you are quite right that the total, checked by hand on a calculator, is £173.96. Totally weird and worrying as to why it has incorrectly added up the column and made this error.

I have just opened a blank spreadsheet and copied the Win P/L figures into it applied the Epsilon and id comes to £322.24 again....however the copy column had two odd entries that were not on the first sheet as high lighted below which explains the difference of £148.38! I have no idea where they came from...a real mystery. Any my thanks for pointing it out and my apologies to all for not noticing it myself...a Stupid Boy Pike moment!! I'm not sure about today's selections as I am about to go out for several hours but there may be some late afternoon bets when I get back!

19.2​
-20​
8.24​
-20​
-20​
-20​
28.62​
26.66​
-20​
20.38​
-20​
84.28​
-20​
53.9​
-20​
-20​
46.06​
-20​
-20​
57.23​
49.39​
322.34​
you might have had hidden columns which would still be counted in the equation. when copying to a new spreadsheet those rows would no longer be hidden

Thanks for the explanation as that sounds exactly what must have happened. Not sure what I should do to avoid it in the future. What I have done is I've rewritten both thread spreadsheets from scratch, deleted the old ones and hopefully that should cause no more problems.

You can use the SUBTOTAL function.
SUBTOTAL(3;A1:A100) counts only the visible rows in A1:A100.

the first number will give you a different means to calculate.
functionFunction
1​
AVERAGE
2​
COUNT
3​
COUNTA
4​
MAX
5​
MIN
6​