• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

What do you think about Brian Hughes?

He's not bad, would rather see him ride my selection than a long list of others. I firmly believe the adage that horses win races, jockeys lose them, (good horses make bad jockeys look good). I remember him falling at the last fence when 30 lengths ahead costing me a good few hundred quid. For days I was cursing him, I couldn't let it go. Another thing is that he is not by his own admission a fan of the whip and will avoid using it at all cost, not something that instills confidence when it's close at the buisness end of a race.

I think he is one of the best NH Jockeys around at judging pace.

Quote Brian Hughes:

Hughes appreciates the importance of his booking agent Richard Hales in his recent success “Richard decides what I ride, recommends me where to go and gets it right more than he gets it wrong. Nine times out of ten it’s his decision and I go along with it, we talk twice a day about different rides and he inevitably has the last word. Without him I wouldn’t be in the happy position I am today”.

Also as a top jock, a lot of his rides are short in the betting, there isn't a lot of scope for each way betting his rides, to cover yourself. Last 200 runners (34 Winners, -30.23 Loss). Not one to follow blindly, but as Chesam says look at where, what and why he's choosing to ride on the day and select with care. He also comes across as a really nice guy with a very pleasurable nature.

I like he doesn’t beat horses, he get what he can out of them without abuse( you can guess I’m not a fan of the whip), if you want to see a true masterful ride watch the ride he gave Cyrus Darius in the 1:35 Ayr 04/11/17 it was a masterclass from start to finish, very few jockeys would have won that race.

His agent Richard Hale has expereince in handling top jockeys and was the agaent for Paul Hanagan when he won the title. Niall Hannitty spent time working for Hale before setting out himself on as a jockeys agent. There is a leading trainer who is the cousin of Richard Hale. Hughes doesn't always ride for that yard but when he does it is worth noting.

Back