• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

US PGA Trial

Inspired in part by the impressive showing of Si Woo Kim this weekend I thought I would finally look a little deeper into something that has intrigued me for a while, namely the apparent difficulty for golfers to follow up a low round of the day with another decent round.

I have taken a look at this seasons tournaments and analysed the following round scores of those players who shot the best (or equal best) score in the previous round. I’m not sure if there is any angle to be had here in terms of trading but it has satisfied my interest and proved quite enlightening.

I have not included any small field events (i.e. Nedbank Challenge, Hyundai tournament of champions) and also not included tournaments that are played on multiple courses.

Overall I have looked at 290 rounds following on from a low round previously, this covers 60 tournaments. The average increase in score between a low round and the follow up is 5.4 shots. This resulted in 37% of the time the follow up score being over par, 12% at Par and 51% under par.

There are only 7 occasions were a player has equalled or bettered a low round the following day and only 4 of these resulted in a second consecutive low round.

Of the 60 tournaments 35 (58%) were won by a player who shot a low round during the tournament.

If we remove the majors from the data and compare the European tour against the PGA tour we start to see a difference.

The swing in score in Europe is 6.3 shots following a low round compared to 5.46 in the US.
47% of the time in Europe the follow up round will be over par and only 39% staying under par whilst in the US these figures are 30% and 61%.
In Europe 10 out of the 25 winners posted a low score during the tournaments (40%) whilst in the U.S the figures are 22 from 31 (70.9%)

I am unsure why there is such a difference in the percentage of winners who have shot a low round and also the difference in the over / under par in the following round. The actual average score to par for a low round isn’t too different 6.4 below par in Europe and 6.8 in the U.S. so I don’t think it is simply a case of the U.S. courses being easier, although in general winning scores are lower there than in Europe.

Maybe someone will find this information useful or at least interesting but I thought I would finish with the “Hall of Shame” for the worst performance following a low round of the day!

In Europe there is a clear winner, Callum Shinkwin for his unbelievable performance at the Shenzhen International in China were he followed up a course record 62 during the 3rd round with a 79 in the fourth, a 17 shot swing.

In the U.S. nothing quite as big in terms of shot swing from one round to the next with several players shooting a score 12 shots worse than their low round of the day but a special mention must go to Keegan Bradley who shot an opening round 67 in the Valspar Championship and sat in a 3 way tie for the lead but then followed it up with a 79 and missed the cut!

Inspired in part by the impressive showing of Si Woo Kim this weekend I thought I would finally look a little deeper into something that has intrigued me for a while, namely the apparent difficulty for golfers to follow up a low round of the day with another decent round.

I have taken a look at this seasons tournaments and analysed the following round scores of those players who shot the best (or equal best) score in the previous round. I’m not sure if there is any angle to be had here in terms of trading but it has satisfied my interest and proved quite enlightening.

I have not included any small field events (i.e. Nedbank Challenge, Hyundai tournament of champions) and also not included tournaments that are played on multiple courses.

Overall I have looked at 290 rounds following on from a low round previously, this covers 60 tournaments. The average increase in score between a low round and the follow up is 5.4 shots. This resulted in 37% of the time the follow up score being over par, 12% at Par and 51% under par.

There are only 7 occasions were a player has equalled or bettered a low round the following day and only 4 of these resulted in a second consecutive low round.

Of the 60 tournaments 35 (58%) were won by a player who shot a low round during the tournament.

If we remove the majors from the data and compare the European tour against the PGA tour we start to see a difference.

The swing in score in Europe is 6.3 shots following a low round compared to 5.46 in the US.
47% of the time in Europe the follow up round will be over par and only 39% staying under par whilst in the US these figures are 30% and 61%.
In Europe 10 out of the 25 winners posted a low score during the tournaments (40%) whilst in the U.S the figures are 22 from 31 (70.9%)

I am unsure why there is such a difference in the percentage of winners who have shot a low round and also the difference in the over / under par in the following round. The actual average score to par for a low round isn’t too different 6.4 below par in Europe and 6.8 in the U.S. so I don’t think it is simply a case of the U.S. courses being easier, although in general winning scores are lower there than in Europe.

Maybe someone will find this information useful or at least interesting but I thought I would finish with the “Hall of Shame” for the worst performance following a low round of the day!

In Europe there is a clear winner, Callum Shinkwin for his unbelievable performance at the Shenzhen International in China were he followed up a course record 62 during the 3rd round with a 79 in the fourth, a 17 shot swing.

In the U.S. nothing quite as big in terms of shot swing from one round to the next with several players shooting a score 12 shots worse than their low round of the day but a special mention must go to Keegan Bradley who shot an opening round 67 in the Valspar Championship and sat in a 3 way tie for the lead but then followed it up with a 79 and missed the cut!
So maybe in the two ball market on a Saturday and Sunday in the US?

This week we see the start of the FedEx Cup playoffs which will see the number of golfers playing each week reduce from 125 playing this week (actually 121) down to 100, 70and finally 30. The winner will receive a nice 10 Million Dollar bonus to add to what will already be pretty considerable earnings for the year.

Power rankings feature 20 players this week and i guess will do all the way to the end of the play-offs now. As usual picks are taken from the top 15.

Rather unsurprisignly the power rankings have many of the big names listed this week and all of them can certainly be classed as having shown some form of late. The course for this week is Bethpage black which last hosted the Barclays in 2012 so not much to go on in terms of history.

Top5: 12/1 is a little shorter than i would like for Stenson but of all the players you could probably argue he is the one in the best form so is my first pick. Matsuyama has come out of a slump in a big way with 2 top5 fnishes in his last 2 starts and 28/1 is a good price to have him continue that form.

Middle5: as usual not much to choose between here, Spieth and Mcllroy are out on price / value and Kuchar may go well at a nice price (he is in the high odds picks) but i am going with Koepka who has a 4th and 9th place finish in his last 2 outings and Snedker who has 2 top5s in his last 3 outings and also finished 2nd here in 2012.

Bottom 5: i have opted for Branden Grace in this section, great form pretty much all season but i would say he has started to play better in the past few weeks if that is possible and 40/1 seems a good price to me.

In the players ranked 16-20 i like the look and prices on offer for Kevin Na and Luke Donald, both in form and in with a good shout here.

outside of the rankings i have taken a look at a couple of players who currently sit outside the Top 100 and without a good week will see their season end by the completion of this tournament.

Francesco Molinari (150/1) currently sits at 105 in the rankings so needs a decent week to progress, not great in his last couple of starts but does have an 8th and 2nd place finish in his recent form.

Graham Delaet (200/1) needs a great week here, 117th in the rankings and inconsistent recetnly with an 8th and 20th place finish mixed in with a coupld of MCs. Did finish tied 5th here in 2012 and probably needs a repeat of that to go further in the play offs.

atb

Attachments

• THE BARCLAYS.xls
    21 KB · Views: 2
Three Off The Tee Three Off The Tee i think i would be more tempted to look at the 2 ball market in Europe, the swing is greater in terms of shots between rounds and also the likelhood of them shooting over par is also greater.
Ah ok. I always get a bit confused in Europe because quite often they seem to go off in 3 balls so you would need to find a mythical 2 ball bet. Stanjames do them if I remember rightly, they also have tie no bet.

This week we see the start of the FedEx Cup playoffs which will see the number of golfers playing each week reduce from 125 playing this week (actually 121) down to 100, 70and finally 30. The winner will receive a nice 10 Million Dollar bonus to add to what will already be pretty considerable earnings for the year.

Power rankings feature 20 players this week and i guess will do all the way to the end of the play-offs now. As usual picks are taken from the top 15.

Rather unsurprisignly the power rankings have many of the big names listed this week and all of them can certainly be classed as having shown some form of late. The course for this week is Bethpage black which last hosted the Barclays in 2012 so not much to go on in terms of history.

Top5: 12/1 is a little shorter than i would like for Stenson but of all the players you could probably argue he is the one in the best form so is my first pick. Matsuyama has come out of a slump in a big way with 2 top5 fnishes in his last 2 starts and 28/1 is a good price to have him continue that form.

Middle5: as usual not much to choose between here, Spieth and Mcllroy are out on price / value and Kuchar may go well at a nice price (he is in the high odds picks) but i am going with Koepka who has a 4th and 9th place finish in his last 2 outings and Snedker who has 2 top5s in his last 3 outings and also finished 2nd here in 2012.

Bottom 5: i have opted for Branden Grace in this section, great form pretty much all season but i would say he has started to play better in the past few weeks if that is possible and 40/1 seems a good price to me.

In the players ranked 16-20 i like the look and prices on offer for Kevin Na and Luke Donald, both in form and in with a good shout here.

outside of the rankings i have taken a look at a couple of players who currently sit outside the Top 100 and without a good week will see their season end by the completion of this tournament.

Francesco Molinari (150/1) currently sits at 105 in the rankings so needs a decent week to progress, not great in his last couple of starts but does have an 8th and 2nd place finish in his recent form.

Graham Delaet (200/1) needs a great week here, 117th in the rankings and inconsistent recetnly with an 8th and 20th place finish mixed in with a coupld of MCs. Did finish tied 5th here in 2012 and probably needs a repeat of that to go further in the play offs.

atb
Some nice looking picks there. I think its going to be about grinding it out.

Graeme De Laet is probably the most frustrating golfer on tour. His tee to green is brilliant. He is decent round the green but his putting is dire. I couldn't do any worse if I used the wedding tackle instead. When he gets together a round of putting he will win.

I am still wading through my picks! I do like Snedeker this week though.

Good luck!

Running well behind this week, so no time to for a write up just the Power Rnakings with picks attached.

One thing i hadnt considered when starting this thread was the reduction in field size as the play-offs progress, this doesnt align well with picking 5 golfers when you also consider that the big name, in form golfers feature and make the odds unattractive. So i have decided this week its just 4 picks from the Top 10 and even the 5 from 8 selections is reduced to just 4 picks.
Next round will see 70 players start so just 3 picks and the Tour Championship will have only 30 players so just 2 picks then.

Remember this weeks tournament runs Friday to Monday rather than the usual Thursday to Sunday.

ATB

Attachments

• Deutsche.xls
    21 KB · Views: 4
Thats the Deutsche Bank done and dusted and an good win fo Mcllroy who could be hitting form at just the right time. Time to catch up on things from Both this week and last week.

In the Barclays, the Power rankings had Jason Day and Adam Scott who tied for 4th and also Patrick Reed in the extended rankings (16) who won the tournament, none of them were in the different selections so 15, 16.5 and 17.5 pts lost respectively for High Odds, Personal & 5from8 picks.

A good week for the power rankings this week with Rory winning plus Adam Scott finishing 4th and PAtrick Reed in a tie for 5th. Mcllroy wasnt in any of the picks, Adam Scott was in the Personal and 5 from 8 picks and Reed in all 3 selections.

for the week that means....
High Odd: - 8.31 pts
Personal: + 1.69 pts
5from8: + 0.19 pts

Running P&Ls
High Odds: +8.95 pts
Personal: -9.72 pts
5from8: + 15.55 pts

ATB

This weeks BMW Championship represents the penultimate week of this seasons PGA tour, 70 players teeing it up and attempting to ensure that they are ranked inside the Top 30 in the FedEx cup ranking come the end of play Sunday to allow them to advance to the Tour Championship.

Crooked Stick is the host course this year, the same event took place here in 2012 when Rory was the winner, so if last weeks victory was him finally getting fully upto speed then that could be a bad sign for the rest of the field. The other notable event held here was the 1991 PGA Championship when an unknown John Daly shocked everyone by taking home the tropphy.

As i metioned last week with this reduced field i am only selecting 3 players this week but the full rankings are attached as usual.

From the Top 5 i have gone with Dustin Johnson and Adam Scott, DJ has had a good season and length will be important here where he finished 6th in 2012, he is still in decent form and although the price is lower than i would like i prefer him to Reed and also to Mcllroy and Day whose prices are just too short. Scott has been in very good form of late finishing 4th in his last two starts, he is always likely to contend, and it seems the bigger the tournament the better he plays and the price seems fair to me.

The other pick from the Middle 5 is Ryan Moore, a win and two other top 10 finishes in his last 4 starts makes his price of 45/1 look to big to me. he finished 10th here in 2012, if he can maintain his form this week i expect to see him in the mix on Sunday.

Further down the rankings i like Koepka, Bubba and Finau as long hitters will benefit here, none have paticularly great form of late and although Bubba finished 12th here in 2012 of the 3 i would go for Finau as i think we are still to see the best of him.

In other news i am dissapointed to see that we will potentially lose another English player to the US Tour, Andrew Johnston will take part in the Web.Com Tour finals and should he finish in the Top25 he would be receive a PGA tour card for next season.Not only is he a good and developing golfer but also the sort of character who attracts interest so to lose him to the PGA would be a big blow.

ATB

Attachments

• BMW CHAMPIONSHIP.xls
    21 KB · Views: 3
This weeks BMW Championship represents the penultimate week of this seasons PGA tour, 70 players teeing it up and attempting to ensure that they are ranked inside the Top 30 in the FedEx cup ranking come the end of play Sunday to allow them to advance to the Tour Championship.

Crooked Stick is the host course this year, the same event took place here in 2012 when Rory was the winner, so if last weeks victory was him finally getting fully upto speed then that could be a bad sign for the rest of the field. The other notable event held here was the 1991 PGA Championship when an unknown John Daly shocked everyone by taking home the tropphy.

As i metioned last week with this reduced field i am only selecting 3 players this week but the full rankings are attached as usual.

From the Top 5 i have gone with Dustin Johnson and Adam Scott, DJ has had a good season and length will be important here where he finished 6th in 2012, he is still in decent form and although the price is lower than i would like i prefer him to Reed and also to Mcllroy and Day whose prices are just too short. Scott has been in very good form of late finishing 4th in his last two starts, he is always likely to contend, and it seems the bigger the tournament the better he plays and the price seems fair to me.

The other pick from the Middle 5 is Ryan Moore, a win and two other top 10 finishes in his last 4 starts makes his price of 45/1 look to big to me. he finished 10th here in 2012, if he can maintain his form this week i expect to see him in the mix on Sunday.

Further down the rankings i like Koepka, Bubba and Finau as long hitters will benefit here, none have paticularly great form of late and although Bubba finished 12th here in 2012 of the 3 i would go for Finau as i think we are still to see the best of him.

In other news i am dissapointed to see that we will potentially lose another English player to the US Tour, Andrew Johnston will take part in the Web.Com Tour finals and should he finish in the Top25 he would be receive a PGA tour card for next season.Not only is he a good and developing golfer but also the sort of character who attracts interest so to lose him to the PGA would be a big blow.

ATB
Well done this week finding the winner and getting a place out of just 3 picks

Thanks Taff Taff

A good week for the rankings, with DJ the winner, Casey in 2nd and Adam Scott in a tie fo 4th.
Scott for the High Odds = - 6 pts
DJ & Scott for personal picks = +48pts
Nothing for the 5from8 picks = -7pts

Running P&Ls
High Odds: +2.95 pts
Personal: + 38.28 pts
5from8: + 8.55 pts

ATB

All 30 players are included in this weeks Power Rankings which are attached as Usual.
No time for anything except the picks this week
High Odds & Personal Picks: Jimmy Walker & Paul Casey
5from8: Jimmy Walker & Patrick Reed

ATB

Attachments

• TOUR CHAMP.xls
    22 KB · Views: 3
Well that's the end of the PGA Tour season, a great final few weeks for Rory winning twice during the playoffs to win the overall FedEx Cup title and a decent pay cheque to go with it!!
Casey placed for the High Odds and Personal Picks giving a profit of 5 points for each on the week.

The final P&Ls are as follows
High Odds: +7.95 pts
Personal: + 43.28 pts
5from8: + 1.55 pts

We have to wait for all of 2 weeks before the start of the new season on the PGA Tour which kicks off on the 13th October with the Safeway Open. Hopefully before then i can find the time to review everything from this season and see what, if anything, should be my approach for next season.

ATB

Just 2 weeks after the Tour Championship a new season is already upon us with The Safeway Open, I havent had time to review last seasons selections / performance in detail yet so i wonder how these guys are able to take a break or try to adapt their game and improve on their weaknesses before starting another season.

Moving forward i will just put up the rankings as usual but this year with just one set of selections. I wont put any restrictions on how many or where in the rankings my selections will come from.

Rankings attached with 4 picks for this week.

Attachments

• Safeway Open.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
A win and a place for the power rankings this week but nothing for me! Annoying to think that had i simply used the 5 from 8 system it would have included the winner Brendan Steele.
Oh well, onwards!!

We have the CIMB Classic this week in KL, Malaysia, looking at the attached Power Rankings there is very little if any value in the Top5 so as much as history seems to show the higher ranked players tend to do better i am not interested and will look further down the list for a bit more value.

Kevin Na (21s) is ranked 6th and has good history here and good form so makes it as a pick at a borderline price.
Gary Woodland and Scott Piercy also have good records here and decent form so are taken on at 34s.
Ryo Ishikawa (81s) and Si Woo Kim (67s) are my final 2 picks, no course form to speak of but impressive form in their recent starts around the world.
11.5 pts staked.

ATB

Attachments

• CIMB.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
A quick post this week as I am working away at the moment.

Last week no return as all my picks from the power rankings failed to perform! Justin Thomas retained his title, and for the 2nd week in a row had I followed the 5 from 8 system we would have had him as a winner!

2 tournaments this week and despite the evidence of the past couple of weeks I shall continue to try my own selections again this week with the WGC HSBC and the Sanderson Farms, rankings and picks are attached. In the Sanderson farms I have gone for 4 players from the 10 in the rankings plus my own selection for Graham Delaet who doesn’t feature in the rankings.

On return from my travels I have been lucky enough to be given a ticket to attend the final round of this week’s WGC HSBC Championship, so I hope to get to see one of my selections win in person!!

ATB

Attachments

• wgc hsbc.xls
    20 KB · Views: 4
  • sanderson.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
Despite a good start for my selections over the first 2 days in both tournaments it ultimately wasn’t to be as they faded over the weekend and provided no return this week.

In the WGC the power rankings had Matsuyama (7), Stenson (9) and Mcllroy(1) while the Sanderson Farms rankings picked Chris Kirk (2).

Despite the bad result from my picks I enjoyed a fantastic day out yesterday, followed several of the groups around and it is almost a different game to the one I play! The power and accuracy these guys have is unbelievable, watching Rory outdrive Ryan Moore on the 9th with a 3 wood was pretty special. I did see couple of players flop shots into the bunker on the 18th when trying to get onto the green which is something I am more than capable of doing!

Interesting to get up so close to the players but considering that even last place earned almost 40,000 Euros there were quite a few grumpy faces amongst some of the players!

For those that are interested I have attached a few pictures including one of myself partaking in a morning glass of wine on the balcony of our box overlooking the 18th green, VIP passes are certainly the way to go!!

ATB

BEEF.JPG RORY.JPG SERGIO.JPG RCB.JPG HIDEKI.JPG ME.JPG

Back