• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

UK All Weather Speed Ratings Template

U.K. all weather speed ratings template
I created this simple excel workbook for a friend of mine who wanted to get started on creating his own speed figures but didn’t know where to start.
I thought a few forum members might also find useful.
It needs the daily results files from HRB, I create all my sheets around HRB just because that’s where I get my data from.
Simply filter the all weather results from the daily HRB results file download on their site .
Copy and Paste data into columns A to AP of the DATA worksheet
Then drag copy down the formulae in columns AQ to BZ of the DATA worksheet to match the last row of data you have.
Instantly it calculates the days ratings.
The whole procedure can be done in 10 seconds.
You can keep many days ratings on the same sheet just need to keep adding the data to the sheet as you go along.
You don’t need to worry about the tab for the STANDARDS worksheet unless you want to change the standard times , or add different courses.
If you decide to add turf courses the formulae are in place to account for rail movements .
You can play at experimenting with the standard times and all the ratings are instantly recalculated on the DATA worksheet.
This is a pretty basic sheet for beginners to get a feel for how ratings can be calculated.
I have 2 sets of ratings and one of them requires manual input of performance ratings, this sheet features the other set of ratings I use that don’t need that input.
Ratings are returned in column BU excluding WFA, and column BV inc WFA (note WFA is my WFA calcs not official)
Column BZ is worth mentioning this ranks the days performance against expected performance, this can be good for spotting future winners.
I’m not at my PC very much during the lockdown but if anyone has any questions I will answer when I get chance.

Last edited:
Hi O Outlander
What a great little tool you have made there and i'm sure it will be a great help to many
Thanks SteveT SteveT not sure if anyone's used it yet with no racing on , but you can download historical results from HRB, and build up I reckon maybe a years worth of data on the one sheet, then if you have any database skills at all you can pull of the days runners from HRB and get all the ratings for all the runners, if I get time I might create a simple little database to do that and post it up especially if anyone is likely to use it, handy as well that you can put in your own standard times.
I'm sure also it's not perfect and anyone who knows excel could even improve on it by tinkering with the formulae.

O Outlander i have a few years hrb data that i will have a go with myself but i think it will be a very handy tool for anyone especially those of us with limited excel skills and the added database would be a handy tool as well. I have an excel database myself it's just a basic one but spending my free time looking at ways to improve it and just added an advanced filter to it and experimenting with a couple of pivot tables.

Hi O Outlander
It looks like column BX has an incorrect formula
View attachment 83609
=1+SUMPRODUCT(($BD$2:$BD$20000=BD547)*($BW$2:$BW$20000>BW547))
Not at my PC but BX was working fine when I tested it you must have a rogue value for one of the rows in BW, what date of data did you input. HRB has little faults with the total distance Z column sometimes returning SH or HD instead of numeric , I thought I had covered this with a workaround something in the data you have obviously I must have missed something else.

Last edited:
Hi O Outlander
It looks like column BX has an incorrect formula
View attachment 83609
=1+SUMPRODUCT(($BD$2:$BD$20000=BD547)*($BW$2:$BW$20000>BW547))
I’m only guessing here but it could be you have highlighted the formulae and double clicked to copy them down, unfortunately when I was creating the sheet I had a lot if data on the sheet, so double clicking means you will get formulae in cells below your HRB data, I think this is causing the error , try dragging the formulae down to match the amount of data you have or just deleting and excess formulae below your data.

I think when I get to my PC I will put up an updated version, I realise there is only provision for 150 lines of standards and also I remembered I have a full list of turf course and distance codes with standards in a flat standard times thread I posted in the inner sanctum, I didn’t include them originally because I thought it would be too much work for me to compile them then I realise I have already posted them previously on the forum.
Might be slight adjustment needed for courses like Curragh and Newbury that inconveniently have 2 different 1mile tracks, also one the formulas I think I can improve to make slightly more accurate .
Will have a go if I get time.

O Outlander i have a few years hrb data that i will have a go with myself but i think it will be a very handy tool for anyone especially those of us with limited excel skills and the added database would be a handy tool as well. I have an excel database myself it's just a basic one but spending my free time looking at ways to improve it and just added an advanced filter to it and experimenting with a couple of pivot tables.
Believe me SteveT SteveT my skills are very limited I have no idea of advanced filters or pivot tables, I just wanted to create something that could be done in seconds and it’s quite basic really.

Overall I think it is pretty close to being useful but maybe not quite the finished article, definitely it is fast way of doing it so that in itself is a bonus.

Back