• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Trainer comments

trecelyn

Filly
Having spent the last couple of days like a kid in a sweet shop trying to read everything on here I felt it time to contribute something which may or may not be of value. I currently use 3 methods which are ticking over without winning or losing a lot but my real passion is not system based, it revolves around trying to figure out what trainers are doing with their horses through pre and post race comments.

Aintree 1.45
Edwardstone just finds 2m at the top handicap level a bit too fast for him, he is so consistent and always tries his best, we feel there is a nice handicap hurdle in him before the end of the season, he will return to chasing next season. we expected a big run at Cheltenham but always felt there one or two in the race better handicapped. He will get the extra distance here and hopefully the slower pace will suit

Edwardstone ran ok to finish 3rd @ 7/1

Aintree 4.15

Snow Leopardess is highly regarded at home, ran a cracker at Cheltenham and possibly found the trip too far. This race looks more realistic for her off of 138. We are hoping for a stronger pace today and Brian Hughes takes the ride, he has ridden her before

Bit dissapointed with the run of Snow Leopardess but onwards and upwards,

Redcar 5.00
Amsby, would you believe I deleted all my notes on this horse but I know it was one I was waiting for, can’t give any extra info I’m afraid as the son who has taken over the license does not give updates unlike his father

Bit dissapointed with the run of Snow Leopardess but onwards and upwards,

Redcar 5.00
Amsby, would you believe I deleted all my notes on this horse but I know it was one I was waiting for, can’t give any extra info I’m afraid as the son who has taken over the license does not give updates unlike his father
Best of with you selection. My main concern would be if this is a horse who shows promis but fails to get his head in front at the line

The Dam failed to win and so far none of her progeny have won yet

41726A9A-9B44-422C-8BC3-E7406A6F8E6A.jpeg69B5EBFF-20A6-4394-86B7-B0D8C59C991C.jpeg

Having spent the last couple of days like a kid in a sweet shop trying to read everything on here I felt it time to contribute something which may or may not be of value. I currently use 3 methods which are ticking over without winning or losing a lot but my real passion is not system based, it revolves around trying to figure out what trainers are doing with their horses through pre and post race comments.

Aintree 1.45
Edwardstone just finds 2m at the top handicap level a bit too fast for him, he is so consistent and always tries his best, we feel there is a nice handicap hurdle in him before the end of the season, he will return to chasing next season. we expected a big run at Cheltenham but always felt there one or two in the race better handicapped. He will get the extra distance here and hopefully the slower pace will suit
trecelyn trecelyn

Morning I like you noted the above after Cheltenham and had him to run well, although I cannot understand why they have him so far back and then he finishes really well, I thought both times the ride was not great, it may be me, but just don't think they give him every chance of winning.

He may run again in the Swinton :) and win, but maybe that's too fast a race, I feel he will win a big one though before he goes chasing?

Regards

I believe we see silly riding tactics costing good horses wins almost every day, Pingman Pingman .
Not sure whether this is caused by "following instructions", bad early positioning, no luck in running, or, some kind of jockey failure.
Maybe, it's none of these ,but, an innate weakness stemming from pedigree ( in the horse, that is).

As I don't know, I check for a jockey change and then back the animal for another try. If that fails, I drop it, concluding that I haven't selected a good animal in the first place.
Sometimes this results in the thing winning NTO at a decent price, but, hey, there ain't much I can do about that. :D

trecelyn trecelyn

Morning I like you noted the above after Cheltenham and had him to run well, although I cannot understand why they have him so far back and then he finishes really well, I thought both times the ride was not great, it may be me, but just don't think they give him every chance of winning.

He may run again in the Swinton :) and win, but maybe that's too fast a race, I feel he will win a big one though before he goes chasing?

Regards
Trainer is convinced he will pick up a decent race before going back chasing, problem is he’s running out of time now

I believe we see silly riding tactics costing good horses wins almost every day, Pingman Pingman .
Not sure whether this is caused by "following instructions", bad early positioning, no luck in running, or, some kind of jockey failure.
Maybe, it's none of these ,but, an innate weakness stemming from pedigree ( in the horse, that is).

As I don't know, I check for a jockey change and then back the animal for another try. If that fails, I drop it, concluding that I haven't selected a good animal in the first place.
Sometimes this results in the thing winning NTO at a decent price, but, hey, there ain't much I can do about that. :D
It’s a brave jockey that goes against the trainers riding instructions, jockeys get a lot of stick for poor rides but if they’ve been told to ride it that way what choice do they have?

Newmarket 4.30
Hans Solo Berger we think he is a better 5f horse and has now dropped to a winnable mark, has been given a couple of runs recently as he seems better with a recent run under his belt and he got interfered with last time when the horse inside him stumbled forcing Jack to end up racing at the back of the field but still ran well to finish 3rd

I've been following and waiting for this one , trecelyn trecelyn. My support may not be an impossible burden for Hans, but, I think my other bet in the race might be: Rewaayat.
Backed them both, and only having one other bet today.

Btw, regarding trainers,
not long after I spout that I'm ditching Dave Loughnane and replacing him on my list with Chris Wall, didn't he get a good filly off Gosden and put it in at a good price yesterday at Windsor with good jockey Laura Pearson up! :D

That'll teach me not to desert without checking properly.:oops:

That was a pretty quick race, may be worth keeping an eye on the form, I saw the other runner but the stable seem to prefer HSB

HSB couldn't live with that speed.
The other Wall runner today did very well.
That other horse won very nicely.
At the risk of being Aftertime Alfie, I did like Double or Bubble. She was unexposed and Chris Wall won the same race on first run of the season with this girl's full sister Mix and Mingle four years ago. That one was a Group 3 winner next time out. Mix and Mingle hasn't had any offspring race yet - maybe Chris Wall will win this race with another member of the family in a few years time?!

Mutasaabeq won the conditions race easily. Not sure if any of the other three horses in the race ran to form, but Mutassabeq did win easily. Talk of entering him for the Guineas now. Shouldn't be good enough for that, but it would be nice to see a Shadwell horse win a really big one soon, (especially if it came at Newmarket), after Hamdan Al Maktoum's recent death Mutassabeq's dam is Ghanaati - she was certainly a good racehorse!

Last edited:
That was a pretty quick race, may be worth keeping an eye on the form, I saw the other runner but the stable seem to prefer HSB
The Morleys did well in that race. The winner and 3 of the first five home. Their silks have really become a familiar sight on UK racetracks in decent sprint handicaps; they do very well. The family are traditionally farmers based in Drinkstone, Suffolk, taht really seem to have caught the racing bug.
Best horse they have had was probably Goldream. Well, that one was owned in partnership with a butcher based in the Fens, (J Sargeant). My dad, (who loves his meat!), raves about this butcher's produce. J Sargeant had a runner in this race today too, but finished last - that horse (Lipsink), seemed all at sea on the track - I think it might be Yarmouth rather than Newmarket for that lad in future. I notice Lipsink is still a colt at 4 years old).

Cheltenham 2.05

Nigel Twiston Davies is one of the most optimistic trainers out there, he believes all his horses will run well, but I supposed if he didn’t think they would run well why turn them out.

Two Taffs Ran over course and distance at the festival last month, finishing down the field in the Paddy Power plate. Went well until very late on when weakening and brought home in his own time. From 141 that day, he’s down 4lbs here which will help. Sam in the saddle, preferred trip and ground and a good run expected.

Last edited:
trecelyn trecelyn, used to back that Two Taffs years ago for some reason. Maybe he was with Dave Evans, or maybe I'm confused with a different animal.

M mattyboy, some interesting stuff there, sir!
I've been fascinated by the link between butchers and racing for many years. Not really sure of it, but, I guess the link is the obvious one - farmers and racing.
Met a little chap in Ballinasloe, and he was introduced as the owner of a winner at the Cheltenham Festival, plus, the " best beef butcher in the town".
The link must be to do with farming. Who else has got the necessary land? It seems he had prize bulls and good horses. Lucky man ( and, I did say "bulls"). There seems to be a lot of spare money sloshing about in the butchering game.
This sort of thing becomes even more prominent at places like Ludlow and Hereford.

What I couldn't fathom was how come a butcher from Brecon ( or was it Builth?) had good flat racers down around the London area?
I find it all very interesting. :)

Now, with the harness racing ( trotters pulling sulkies), I understand how there is link with hundreds of horses all alongside the Heads of the Valley ( road in South Wales). Many of these are owned by descendants of travelling folk and the area seems to extend from Gloucertshire, Herefordshire, all the way west to Pembroke. Some are pretty wild.
I bet there is a similar thing in the north of England from say Fleetwood, Appleby, Bishop Auckland to Redcar way.

Of course, the "Sport of Kings" is a lot more diverse in ownership nowadays. I struggle to keep tabs on what is going on. The Grand National winner - one of the Minellas - has a great back story.
Minella is the name of what is today a big hotel in Clonmel, and, the story is that one of the family bought the place with the proceeds of the sale of a greyhound! The Nallens are still at the place, and still finding the good horses.

Back