• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Tottenham Winger to Get Problem Gambling Treatment

21 year old Tottenham winger, Andros Townsend, has been ordered by the Football Association to undergo treatment for problem gambling after he was charged with excessive betting on football games.

The Football Association ruled out match fixing since Townsend did not wager on games that he himself took part in.

However, the player broke FA Rule E8 (b) which bars players from wagering on any competition in which they are involved, including matches in the same division or cup tournament.

Townsend, who is on loan at QPR will need to get treatment at the Sporting Chance Clinic in Hampshire, which has also helped past players break their gambling addictions.

UK bookmakers flagged the Football Association about Townsend's irregular betting activities, with the player reportedly making "significant" bets on multiple games, sometimes up to five figure wagers. Some of his wagers were on Premier League matches.

The UK Gambling Act obliges bookmakers to bring any irregular betting patterns to the authorities' attention, as well as wagering habits of those who should not be allowed to wager on their own sports.

According to a statement issued by the Football Association: "The Tottenham Hotspur player has been charged with breaches of Rule E8 (b) in relation to a number of betting offences. The player has until June 3 to respond to the charges."

The FA said it would give Townsend its "full support" while he sought "rehabilitation whilst responding to the allegations."

According to reports, Townsend had received various warnings about his betting activities in the past, but when these were ignored, the FA examined his gambling habits deeper and eventually issued charges.

Players caught betting on matches face fines of up to £5,500, as well as being banned from playing.

Sources quoted in the Daily Mail said that "the Townsend case is not at the sinister end of the scale. He's a good kid with an issue."

While Townsend has until June 3rd to respond to the charges and the orders to get himself treated, he has not yet responded.

He graduated Tottenham's academy and signed as a trainee in 2008. Townsend has been on loan to Yeovil, MK Dons, Ipswich, Leyton Orient and Leeds, to name just a few and, most recently, has been under former Spurs manager Harry Redknapp at QPR.

I know there have been a couple of instances of footballers punting...etc

The person I remember around 1996 or so was Steve Claridge. He was standing in the same betting office as me, (Luton).

He was allowed to bet "in running" anything from £300-£500 a race. In those days they allowed him to watch a fair part of the race, and bet at SP. Never saw him bet on football, although that would have been easy enough I'm sure.

Back