• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Tipping Competition Rules

The competition and rules have evolved since the start to try to accommodate everyone's favourite style of betting so here are the 'rules' as I apply them when updating the table.

Competition Guide, Rules and General Information

Each month you are alloted 60pts.
You can bet on any sporting event where odds(and results) are widely available. Eg. horses, football, tennis, golf etc
No daily limit but maximum 5pts on any one bet
At the end of the month any unused points will be deducted from Profit/loss

Singles or multiples allowed

All non racing bets should state the price and source of that price.

Horse Racing:
UK and Ireland only
Early prices can be taken but again price and source should be stated
Betfair is allowed if stated at the time of selection
All other bets will be settled to ISP

Place part of any e/w bet settled at 1/4 odds

Betfair may be win, place or multiples
5% should be deducted from profit
On multiples 5% should be deducted at each stage

It helps(life permitting) if everyone could update the days profit/loss at the end of the day

Thank you

The competition and rules have evolved since the start to try to accommodate everyone's favourite style of betting so here are the 'rules' as I apply them when updating the table.

Competition Guide, Rules and General Information

Place part of any e/w bet settled at 1/4 odds

Betfair may be win, place or multiples
5% should be deducted from profit
On multiples 5% should be deducted at each stage

It helps(life permitting) if everyone could update the days profit/loss at the end of the day

Thank you

Hi Samacas Samacas how about if one gives an early BF place bet, and the field is reduced so as one less place is counted. If an early Betfair price is taken they still payout on the original bet, is this factor included in the rules of the comp thanks.

sootywooty sootywooty Just another benefit of using Betfair. IMO
Once your bet is made and the price taken your price and number of places remain the same even if the field is reduced from 8/9 to 4 runners.
The same applies to BFsp bets(although the price will be a lot shorter) the number of places to be paid doesn't change.

sootywooty sootywooty ....Once your bet is made and the price taken your price and number of places remain the same even if the field is reduced from 8/9 to 4 runners.
The same applies to BFsp bets(although the price will be a lot shorter) the number of places to be paid doesn't change.

I do not believe this to be the case, the Betfair Reduction Factor will kick in and your price will change, although they will still pay the agreed number of places before any NR's

ArkRoyal ArkRoyal I stand corrected, we're here to learn.
sootywooty sootywooty Apologies...It seems as AR says that the reduction factor does affect the price, although the number of places stays the same.

1. 13.5Betfair Non-Runner Rule
    2. Betfair's non-runner rule relates to the adjustment of odds on bets already matched when a horse in a race is declared a non-runner. In order to make the adjustment Betfair applies a reduction factor to the remaining runners. The reduction factor allocated to a non-runner is a calculation (the details of which are described below) of that horse's chances of winning (or being placed, etc as appropriate) and is applied to bets already matched on the other runners in the relevant market or markets.
    • Any horse listed when the relevant market is loaded which does not subsequently come under starter's orders is deemed to be a non-runner.
    • When the market is loaded each horse is given a 'reduction factor', based on a forecast price, which is expressed as a percentage. These reduction factors may be updated periodically at the discretion of Betfair based on trading in the market, but after approximately 15 minutes (approximately 5 minutes for Australian markets) from the scheduled 'off' time of a given race, they will be updated only in exceptional circumstances. The current reduction factor percentage for each horse can be viewed on the 'info' page on the Betfair website or by asking the Helpdesk.
    • Reductions will be made to both win and place markets but applied differently (as described below), and horses will have a different reduction factor for each market.
    • As soon as Betfair becomes aware that a horse is an official non-runner or a highly likely non-runner, following a statement to the press from connections, the following will happen:
    • All matched bets on that horse will be void and the horse will be removed from the market.
    • In the win market: if the reduction factor of the non-runner is 2.5% or greater, the traded price of all the matched bets on the remaining horses will be reduced by an amount equal to the non-runner's final reduction factor and all the unmatched offers to lay will be cancelled. If the non-runner's reduction factor is less than 2.5%, reductions will not be applied and unmatched bets will not be cancelled.
    • In the place market the reduction factor of all non-runners will be applied (even if less than 2.5%) and the potential winnings in relation to matched bets on the remaining horses will be reduced by an amount equal to the non-runner's final reduction factor. Only if the non-runner's reduction factor is 4.0% or greater will all the unmatched offers to lay be cancelled.
    • All the reduction factors on the remaining horses will be adjusted to reflect their improved chance of winning.
    • Reduction factors are not applied to bets which are struck in-play. However, if a market is turned in-play prematurely by error (or, for example, there is a false start), all bets matched during this time will be subject to any later reduction factor, provided the market is turned out of play before the race commences. In the event of a late withdrawal, Betfair reserves the right to remove the runner after completion of the race. In this case only those bets matched prior to the off will be affected by a reduction factor.
    • In the event of a non-runner being removed from a race in error or following incorrect information regarding a runner’s participation, Betfair will reinstate both the runner and all previously matched bets associated with that runner. All bets made between the time of withdrawal and reinstatement will be void in both the place market and the win market. The reduction factor applied to matched bets at the time of withdrawal will be reversed and the original prices will become valid.
    • Any non-runners will be removed from the relevant markets in the order in which they are brought to Betfair's attention. If Betfair becomes aware of more than one non-runner at the same time, it will remove the non-runners from the relevant markets in racecard order.
    •  If a runner is not included in a market because of an error or because of incorrect information regarding a runner’s participation, Betfair reserve the right to introduce the missing runner into the market at any time prior to settlement (even after the race has been run), provided that Betfair has determined that the missing runner is not a material runner (i.e. a selection with a reduction factor of approx. 2.5% or less in the win market). In such circumstances, all pre-play unmatched and matched bets will stand, however if the runner is not introduced before the start of the race, all in-play bets will be void. However, if the missing runner is deemed to be a material runner, then the malformed market will be void and a new market will be loaded where possible.
    1. How the Reductions are applied for Exchange markets
    2. In the win market, reductions will be made on the traded price.
    • For example: if the non-runner's final reduction factor is 25% the traded price on all previously matched bets on other horses will be reduced by 25% - traded price of 8.0 would become 6.0 etc. And these might be further reduced if another horse is subsequently declared a non-runner.
    • In the place market, reductions will be made to the potential winnings on the bet only, and not the traded price.
    • For example: if the non-runner's final reduction factor is 25% the potential winnings on all previously matched bets on the other horses will be reduced by 25% - a traded price of 8.0 would become 6.25. For example a £10 bet on a horse to be placed at a traded price of 8.0 would provide winnings of £70. If there is a non-runner with a reduction factor of 25% in the race, that factor will be applied to the £70 of potential winnings leaving potential winnings of £52.50. Therefore the revised traded price will be 6.25.
    • The traded price may be further reduced if any other horse(s) is subsequently declared a non-runner, however odds cannot be reduced below 1.01.
    • Reserves: A reserve runner may appear in the relevant markets but will have a non-applicable reduction factor until Betfair has received confirmation that it is a confirmed runner, in which case an applicable reduction factor may apply to it.
    • For the avoidance of doubt, any reduction factor applicable to a non-runner replaced by a reserve, will be applied to all bets struck on the relevant markets, prior to the removal from those markets of such non-runner by Betfair. Likewise, should a reserve runner become a confirmed runner but subsequently become a non-runner, any reduction factor applicable to such non-runner will be applied to all bets struck on the relevant markets, prior to the removal from those markets of such non-runner by Betfair.

I do not believe this to be the case, the Betfair Reduction Factor will kick in and your price will change, although they will still pay the agreed number of places before any NR's

The thing is though Ark the maths get a bit tricky to cal, i just accept what they pay me back, would be a bit akward for Samacas to calculate mayb, so mayb best to just count them as a lose in the comp.

I guess if you want (and state) a price at time of posting then fair enough - otherwise BFSP or SP.
The option was included so as to make it a bit more of a level playing field for those betting on other sports.
The whole thing was designed to make it as easy as possible for samacas to keep tabs, so whatever he decides is fine with me :)

We've never had a problem in the past so I don't see the point in changing too much.
I have no idea where to find reduction factors after the event so I think the fairest way forward is to ignore them.

All selections accepted as stated at the time of posting. No deductions for non runners
A quoted early price is settled at that price, including Betfair
BOG settled at best odds
BFsp settled at BFsp
All other bets with no instructions settled at SP

We've never had a problem in the past so I don't see the point in changing too much.
I have no idea where to find reduction factors after the event so I think the fairest way forward is to ignore them.

All selections accepted as stated at the time of posting. No deductions for non runners
A quoted early price is settled at that price, including Betfair
BOG settled at best odds
BFsp settled at BFsp
All other bets with no instructions settled at SP

Ok Great Samacas i will remember that, it will make it fair for all if they wish to use an early BF price method, and i think a 1/4 odds on all bets for standard bm bets is a good idea as well.

An update to the rules

"No daily limit but maximum 5pts on any one bet"
is changed to:
No daily limit but no single 'bet, event, or selection' can involve the use of more than 5pts'

Please let me know your thoughts. Do you think that is clear/unclear, fair/unfair, do you care, am I Hitler reincarnated, is the earth flat??? Speak to me

Back