• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Thoughts and selections

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and likes.

27th February

Group 3 Winter Derby (2:40 Lingfield) - no bet

Felix was my possible for this race but I have decided to just watch. He has a good win record with 5 wins from his last 7 including a win over CD, and ran well to finish 2nd in the trial here 3 weeks ago. But I decided to leave it as I couldn’t completely rule out any of top 3 in betting. Father Of Jazz is moving up in class but he has been winning so easily that there is no knowing how good he might be, and although I am no expert on times I think his time of 123.70 over CD last time was quite good (it was faster than the trial run next day)? I can’t completely dismiss Forest Of Dean either even though he was just behind Felix last time.

My view is that the market has got this race just about right, therefore difficult to find value in any of the runners.

F Frontrunner with a 30k prize i would imagine the sponsors are disappointed with 5 run, although with it being Betway my sympathy's are limited.!
Yes, mick mick , turnout for this race seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year which is a shame. Agree with you regarding Betway, only ever dealt with them once few years ago, but they made it so difficult for me to withdraw my winnings that I decided never again.

Like you F Frontrunner this is a no bet race for me, we know 4 of these and FELIX is just about best but i think he will want a pace to run at for this hold up horse and i can't see which horse will give him that, then again there was little pace in the trial and his later sectionals were very good.
Like you say FATHER OF JAZZ actually won easily in a quicker time that BANGKOK race but these things can be misleading so best i stick to being a big fan of Varian and believe FAJ can continue to progress.

Aftertiming, but, there will be a question to follow.
My win bet was on Felix and once again he sauntered up and came second.

I had tried to get enough on 2TPlace but , it wasn't enough. From experience, I know this thing seems to like coming second more than winning.
There seems to be a pattern.

Do some animals - like some people - feel happier playing second string?
I realise that in a herd, most animals have to be followers; only a few vie for leadership.

Is this a reality with Felix , or is it just my warped view from repeatedly losing my pension by backing it to win. Or, is it a chain of jockeys "riding to instruction"? (Ahem) I doubt that very much.

More another day. I see they are going down for the next at Chelmsford, so I'm off.

Thanks everyone.

S Sandhog , yes some horses are like that they keep finishing 2nd, I am not sure if that is a problem with this horse though, he has quite a good win rate with 6 career wins and this is the only the 3rd time he has finished 2nd.

Aftertiming, but, there will be a question to follow.
My win bet was on Felix and once again he sauntered up and came second.

I had tried to get enough on 2TPlace but , it wasn't enough. From experience, I know this thing seems to like coming second more than winning.
There seems to be a pattern.

Do some animals - like some people - feel happier playing second string?
I realise that in a herd, most animals have to be followers; only a few vie for leadership.

Is this a reality with Felix , or is it just my warped view from repeatedly losing my pension by backing it to win. Or, is it a chain of jockeys "riding to instruction"? (Ahem) I doubt that very much.

More another day. I see they are going down for the next at Chelmsford, so I'm off.
Yes there are some horses that behave the way you describe S Sandhog but i don't think FELIX has that problem, also with regards to him "sauntering up", again not for me he didn't, he was held up as always but with no pace on he was in the wrong place when they started sprinting.
Unsatisfactory race for me and once again demonstrates when there is a lack of pace in the race you will see a messy finish but not necessarily a different result.

Yes, K kralken,
I believe most people agree about horses being herd animals of flight ( from predators, or, irate losing punters like me):), but, seemingly,
the facts don't bear this out in the case of Felix, so I probably judged him unfairly.

Perhaps he reminds me of my horse ( harness- racing trotter) who kept coming second or third, but never looked like she wanted to go past. You know, like some annoying tail-gater, who gets close behind you, but, won't go by, even when there's a chance. :idk:

That horse of mine did that, till I got sick and had to go into hospital for a major op. Obviously, I couldn't manage any more, so I had to sell.
Later, when I was strong enough to bother finding out what happened her, I was told that she'd won twice in the meantime! 🤕

Once at Tregaron and then in Ireland.
Just coincidence? Maybe, but it was bad timing for me. I'd paid for all the training, then,she goes in twice, after a sale was forced on me.

Lost money, but gained a lot of good experience.

If any of my bets ever manage to improve on second place, I think I'm tempted to join an all-costs-included- in -the -subscription to a good syndicate for thoroughbred racing. I have a couple in mind.
At least I'll know where I stand, financially. Coming second won't matter then. Not that it made much difference with the trotter: the prize money there was worth less than the rosettes . It cost more to get to the races, and don't mention vet's fees.
No worries, it's all good experience.

Last edited:
Back