• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

The Story So Far

ArkRoyal

Administrator
In October 2012 there was a major upheaval between the two owners at UKBT and there were concerns that UKBT could disappear from the net.
UKBT was definitely THE betting website but in recent times, due mainly to greed, it had lost its direction and was no longer the place it once was.

Myself, Bob and Dave had become more and more disillusioned with what was happening and when members started to voice their fears decided to start The UK Betting Forum (TUBF).
Initially it was envisaged that TUBF would be a ready made bolthole should UKBT be pulled. We started as an invite only forum running on ProBoards as they offered a free forum and hosting.
A core group of members who had voiced similar concerns to us were invited and these members invited others that they respected.
Our hope was that every member would take an active part on the forum by joining in the discussions but this wasn't to be and a minority were happy to read everything but rarely posted.
We therefore took the decision to have an Inner Sanctum, which was an area of the forum that was only available to those members that were contributing and in fact this included the vast majority of members.

For the first 3 months everything went great, TUBF was buzzing and seemed to be a little oasis of calm away from the storms at UKBT.
Then on December 27 2012 we got notification from ProBoards that they were shutting us down. Why? Well their terms of service do not allow gambling based sites so they were within their rights to do so. But there are many many other gambling forums on ProBoards out there still running! In all likelihood 'someone' probably complained to ProBoards and they had no alternative but to pull the plug.

Panic ensued, we only had 7 days to find a new home!
I had already registered http://www.theukbettingforum.co.uk previously but had no idea where to host it. Step forward Scruffula who offered us free use of his hosting service - top man Scruff.
ProBoards do not offer anyway to transfer the content from their forums, so we had to copy and paste individual posts from the old forum to here, step forward Bob who was a star in sorting out the Inner Sanctum.

When we were on Proboards we were almost invisible to the likes of Google but after moving we were suddenly popping up on search engines and we realised that we would start to have new members joining that we did not know.
We felt as a community that this would not be a bad thing as all forums need 'new blood' and ideas but it strengthend our resolve to keep the Inner Sanctum. I then tried contacting a number of posters who used to be very active on UKBT but had not been posting in recent times in the hope that they may decide that this is a forum they would like to post on and I am pleased to say that some have signed up.

This brings us pretty much up to date and in closing I would like to welcome any new members reading this and thank the existing members for making this forum what it is.

All the Best
AR

nice work ark...still no news from wolber tho? hope he decides to come back the footy thread was looking good its a shame i have to go over to ukbt to get mad steves bets he doesnt seem to have grasped whats going on, never mind. loved "soap" mouse weirdly that was the music going round in my head when i was reading the thread....good luck everyone for 2013 am just gonna go look at some results from yesterday and hope to start up soon with tips from the bettingexpert. :party:

Sums it all up very nicely, Ark - hopefully shows everyone what our ethos is on here :)

dave58 said:
Sums it all up very nicely, Ark - hopefully shows everyone what our ethos is on here :)

So that is what has been going on!

Tried to find the thanks button - :minigun:

as an aside - is blackcat the old blackcat or has he had a sex change??

Hi ark your above makes for an interesting read.I was a late comer to the joys of cyber space only going on line 5yrs ago so that i could use the raceform interactive software.Then i discovered racing forums and was for a time like a kid in a sweet shop,thinking what a wonderful opportunity for like-minded souls to exchange betting ideas and experiences.

Its proved an interesting experience positive on balance and based on what i have seen here you have the makings.A forum relies on members to post in order to create interest and activity. I have witnessed the decline of some and the cause is complacency.Less posts = less activity = less posts.

Of course no member can or should be forced to post but imo all share a responsibility to contribute.All an owner and or the Mods can do is ensure a safe and friendly environment to encourage this. It appears to me that this is being achieved here so well done.

Last edited:
as an aside - is blackcat the old blackcat or has he had a sex change??

Hi Tom - blackcat is kaz aka wotatomboy :)

Now you've changed your Avatar I can see that, Kaz.

A forum relies on members to post in order to create interest and activity. I have witnessed the decline of some and the cause is complacency.Less posts = less activity = less posts.

Of course no member can or should be forced to post but imo all share a responsibility to contribute.All an owner and or the Mods can do is ensure a safe and friendly environment to encourage this. It appears to me that this is being achieved here so well done.

There seems to have been quite an influx of new members recently - so come on chaps and chapesses, introduce yourselves. :handgestures-thumbup:

There seems to have been quite an influx of new members recently - so come on chaps and chapesses, introduce yourselves. :handgestures-thumbup:

Been keeping my eye on the numbers and noticed we were coming up for 500, indeed our 499th member registered last night so quite suprised to see we are back down to 498......anybody recently reported missing in action? :confused:

Hi Sigster - I banned a spammer yesterday - don't know if that removes them from our members list- if so, that's probably the reason why we're still waiting on number 500 !!

Hope I've not been banned for going AWOL am writing this from my balcony of my hotel in st Lucia 3 more days here then off to Grenada for 8 days just going down for happy hour will look in occasionally
all the best
Larry

thanks for the update Larry, hope your having a good break, you almost got me jealous there; then i remembered your a spurs fan..... :lol:

Reactions: rab
Was talking to Gary Cahill at the airport he was on his way to Dubai with his family, was a nice guy willing to chat unlike a lot of these so called superstars, I didn't have pen or else I'd've signed him up for spurs cos god knows we need some defenders( & attackers)
7.30am here been up since 5.45 not used to the fact we're 5 hours behind, it's only 27c here atm looking forward to another lazy day in the sun although daughter wants to go snorkelling & kayaking, have fun back in blighty
all the best
Larry
btw I'm glad to say I can't access any of my betting accounts here so a bet free 18 days

Back