• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Taxman mr. Wilson - taxman mr. Heath

I read this:

Levy reforms blamed for Tote's hike in pool deductions | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

Maybe it does n't affect the exchanges but I don't have access to the exchanges.

The way punters are treated all across the world is diabolical.
It is legal to bet but the punters are treated as second class citizens.

I imagine people were treated like that under political regimes such as Idi Amin - crocodiles, Adolph, Joseph Stalin. Not nowadays though, except in the case of betting where it is the norm.
Macron - May - Donald - Mutti - Pepe Grillo, all the same !

But the public are suckers.

In the year 2009 the Greek government introduced a tax.
There was a strike as a result. It was a strike by the betting shop keepers - not the punters. The shopkeepers thought it was bad and in any case there was nothing for them in it and they went on strike.
What happened ?
First the strike had 100% success - all the shops closed, no strike breaking shops.
Second the race course stayed open - the races were not abandoned.
Third there were two company franchise shops in the centre that did not close - as they were part of the company and not part of the union they stayed open and were taking bets.

So I went downtown to spy. In the franchise shop there were more than 500 outside, in scorching heat as well !
Thinking that those folks might be pro-government I played the innocent as if I knew nothing. Then it turned out that I knew most of them and I asked what do they think. Those idiots did not even know why the strike was on - they knew that the other shops were closed but did n't know why !
The next day they told me that about 3000 people went to the race course. That was up from the typical figure of 300 (n.b. the Athens race course is situated far from the town and few people travel).

If nobody made any bets on that day, the government would have to take it back. It was not over and done with at that stage by any means.

So this demonstrates what sort of idiots the public are.
If you have a story showing they can be even more idiotic pls write it.
It's hopeless.

Yet the race courses exist because of our money.
There is no other source of money.
In the UK maybe you have some ads in the photo finishes for additional revenue. I 've seen some.
Here nothing.
In the football stadiums we have many. Toothpaste brands, spaghetti, beer ...
In the race course absolutely nothing.
So all the money comes from the punters.

I have a Greek friend who is in the same situation. Now that he cannot use exchanges he has to find other ways and with me being in Britain, where we have no restrictions, I can assist him.

It's all about advertising and 'image rights' here in England. I'm certain that creates more money than paying customers to racetracks - although for the big meetings I'm not so sure.

Do you know how much it costs to own a horse in training in Greece? Here it is typically around £20 - 25k a year.

Last year I travelled to Greece for my first time - Thessaloniki. I was there while the Grand National was on and luckily there was an Irish bar that was in the center and I could watch it there.

I have a Greek friend who is in the same situation. Now that he cannot use exchanges he has to find other ways and with me being in Britain, where we have no restrictions, I can assist him.

It's all about advertising and 'image rights' here in England. I'm certain that creates more money than paying customers to racetracks - although for the big meetings I'm not so sure.

Do you know how much it costs to own a horse in training in Greece? Here it is typically around £20 - 25k a year.

Last year I travelled to Greece for my first time - Thessaloniki. I was there while the Grand National was on and luckily there was an Irish bar that was in the center and I could watch it there.

Ah yes, the UK race courses also sell the image and so make some more income out of this. I forgot.
The French also -Equidia.
If you want to buy a horse here I don't know exactly at this hour. It depends. Try http://eidie.gr for such info.
But overall the payouts are lousy and they used to be better.
Does n't help them either I should think. Because as I demonstrated you can fool all of the people but how can you also fool the euros / sterling in their pockets ? The euros / sterling will say to you "we flew away".

I read this:

Levy reforms blamed for Tote's hike in pool deductions | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

Maybe it does n't affect the exchanges but I don't have access to the exchanges.

The way punters are treated all across the world is diabolical.
It is legal to bet but the punters are treated as second class citizens.

I imagine people were treated like that under political regimes such as Idi Amin - crocodiles, Adolph, Joseph Stalin. Not nowadays though, except in the case of betting where it is the norm.
Macron - May - Donald - Mutti - Pepe Grillo, all the same !

But the public are suckers.

In the year 2009 the Greek government introduced a tax.
There was a strike as a result. It was a strike by the betting shop keepers - not the punters. The shopkeepers thought it was bad and in any case there was nothing for them in it and they went on strike.
What happened ?
First the strike had 100% success - all the shops closed, no strike breaking shops.
Second the race course stayed open - the races were not abandoned.
Third there were two company franchise shops in the centre that did not close - as they were part of the company and not part of the union they stayed open and were taking bets.

So I went downtown to spy. In the franchise shop there were more than 500 outside, in scorching heat as well !
Thinking that those folks might be pro-government I played the innocent as if I knew nothing. Then it turned out that I knew most of them and I asked what do they think. Those idiots did not even know why the strike was on - they knew that the other shops were closed but did n't know why !
The next day they told me that about 3000 people went to the race course. That was up from the typical figure of 300 (n.b. the Athens race course is situated far from the town and few people travel).

If nobody made any bets on that day, the government would have to take it back. It was not over and done with at that stage by any means.

So this demonstrates what sort of idiots the public are.
If you have a story showing they can be even more idiotic pls write it.
It's hopeless.

Yet the race courses exist because of our money.
There is no other source of money.
In the UK maybe you have some ads in the photo finishes for additional revenue. I 've seen some.
Here nothing.
In the football stadiums we have many. Toothpaste brands, spaghetti, beer ...
In the race course absolutely nothing.
So all the money comes from the punters.

Very good post

I did not no Greece had betting shops, are they more like French PMU.

Arkle

They are called "agencies", they are all OPAP.
There exist thousands but internet platform for the races is what we don't have !

The union of agents don't want internet platform !
They are crazy.
Suppose we had built the race course in Hellenikon - the old airport. Somehow that proved impossible but suppose we had. Everybody understands it was going to be the no 1 race course in Europe. Then what -I say to that union- you would be asking the race course to operate with closed doors ?

Back