• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Steve's AW Speed Ratings

Hey man nice system you have here I have been lazy and not read your full thread could u elaborate on your formula for these rating I have Compiled some of my own based on mainly run times and some average weights I will try and upload a sheet

Hey man nice system you have here I have been lazy and not read your full thread could u elaborate on your formula for these rating I have Compiled some of my own based on mainly run times and some average weights I will try and upload a sheet
Hi D damien2009
Thanks for looking in and not really alot to read post wise anyway as i just tend to upload my sheets/results, as for how i go about things i have my own set of standard times for each course/distance and a lbs per length figure which is simply 200/Std Time for that distance,this is a simplfied way of doing it from another formula that was put forward by one of the other members on here.
I have changed the way i calculate my figures a couple of times since i first started this thread to make them unique to me which i think everybody does to some extent.
There are so many ways of creating a set of ratings, some adjust them for weight others believe that weight has no effect so dont take that into account and the same with weight for age, but most agree that the official WFA is no good.
I have had a look at your sheet but it has no headers so some of the columns of numbers are unclear to me, but the main thing to take from my reply is that as long as your happy with the results you get that is the important thing, speed figures are just the same as any other tool or set of ratings in that if they help you to cut the field down to a couple of contenders that your figures say have a good chance of at least being placed then your on the right track.
Most of the time i can find myself a nice little each way chance and that's good enough for me as i am only a weekend warrior so to speak for a bit of fun, i dont bet every day/week and i am not a pro for me it is just a bit of fun now and again, but i do like to do my speed figures to keep my brain active and if they help others to pick a bet and get a winner then i am happy.
There is a wealth of information on here and everybody is willing to help other members in so many ways it is unbelievable and if i can help you at all then do please ask.
One thing i will say tho is be clear in what it is you need help with or asking for so whoever is reading the post can help.
cheers
SteveT

Hi SteveT SteveT can I ask where you get the standard times from?
Thanks for looking in and not really alot to read post wise anyway as i just tend to upload my sheets/results, as for how i go about things i have my own set of standard times for each course/distance and a lbs per length figure which is simply 200/Std Time for that distance,this is a simplfied way of doing it from another formula that was put forward by one of the other members on here.

Where does the figure of 200 come from?

For example Major Snugfit, in the 5.30 at Newcastle today, is carrying 138 lbs. I'm guessing this number would be divided by the standard time for 16 1/2 furlongs, which he is running at today? I'm still not sure about the standard times though :D:D:D

Hi SteveT SteveT can I ask where you get the standard times from?

Where does the figure of 200 come from?

For example Major Snugfit, in the 5.30 at Newcastle today, is carrying 138 lbs. I'm guessing this number would be divided by the standard time for 16 1/2 furlongs, which he is running at today? I'm still not sure about the standard times though :D:D:D

Hi J JeffFriedman
The original formula and explanation can be found here Compiling Speed figures. but somebody pointed out that using a figure of 200 would give the same result, it is not a measure of the horses actual weight, i think once you have read the explanation you will understand a bit better and seems a pointless exercise saying the same thing that has already been put out by others.
The Standard Times are my own that have been calculated from the race times for each distance/course over a number of years.
Rather than go over how you create your own set of std times you can find an explanation here db standard times and ratings or you could use the racing post to gather the times as well from the results as the racing post dont give them any more.
cheers
SteveT

Hi J JeffFriedman
The original formula and explanation can be found here Compiling Speed figures. but somebody pointed out that using a figure of 200 would give the same result, it is not a measure of the horses actual weight, i think once you have read the explanation you will understand a bit better and seems a pointless exercise saying the same thing that has already been put out by others.
The Standard Times are my own that have been calculated from the race times for each distance/course over a number of years.
Rather than go over how you create your own set of std times you can find an explanation here db standard times and ratings or you could use the racing post to gather the times as well from the results as the racing post dont give them any more.
cheers
SteveT
Thanks SteveT SteveT ! Lots of very interesting reading on those threads, this will keep my busy for a good while to come.

Best wishes,
Jeff

Hi J JeffFriedman yes there is, are speed ratings something you are wanting to do ? if so then be warned it is very time consuming even for myself just doing the all weather courses.
The more you can automate the better, this is an excellent place to start Early days and you can learn alot from reading that thread.
If you need any help then just ask and if i can i will or any questions, one thing i will say tho is have a really good look around the forum as there are some little gems in amongst it all that can help volumes and welcome to the forum by the way.
cheers
SteveT

Back