• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

..... excellent report as usual. I would like to see Mark Williams win it now that John Higgins is out. He has been around for what seems like an eternity now, and it would be nice to see him win this for old times sake. One of the legends still around from yesteryear who is still capable of winning an odd trophy here and there. Don't think he is up to winning an awful lot these days but it is patently obvious that he is making more than enough to be earning a comfortable living out of still participating.;)

Mark Williams fabulous considering he is suffering with long Covid, apparently he can be sitting at home chatting with his wife and just fall asleep mid sentence. Jesus I think I’ve had long Covid since 1995 then.

Mark Williams fabulous considering he is suffering with long Covid, apparently he can be sitting at home chatting with his wife and just fall asleep mid sentence. Jesus I think I’ve had long Covid since 1995 then.
Excellent! Plus he has had his gout in the Northern Ireland event.

Had a terrific season considering.

..... saw the Neil Robertson and Mark Williams match and what a great match this was. All down to the last frame and a mammoth struggle ensued right near the left hand black ball corner with Black and two Reds hovering over the pocket and ready to go down with the slightest wrong impact. Robertson ended up requiring two snookers and eventually got them to clinch a great match and freeze Mark out of a place in the final. Full marks to both players and a real credit for snooker!;)

Both semi finals fantastic games to the end. Hawkins remains the value with the bookmakers for the Final around 2/1. The atmosphere seems to be bringing the best out in him. Three previous long games between them 13-9, 6-10, 12-13 so nothing in it on that. Hawkins at the price it would be.

1642323811864.png

..... excellent coverage The Hare The Hare . I see Barry knocked Mr.Trump off his perch again when all indications looked to be a Robertson v Trump final. You never can tell with Barry as he has so many ups and downs and is liable to anything from winning to getting blitzed. Things not going too well currently in the final for him as Robbo is 5-3 up and looking every bit the winner in going forward. We all know that things can change in the twinkling of an eye, so too early to write Barry off just yet, but he needs to settle in straight from the off tonight and take his chances when they come around.;)

..... excellent coverage The Hare The Hare . I see Barry knocked Mr.Trump off his perch again when all indications looked to be a Robertson v Trump final. You never can tell with Barry as he has so many ups and downs and is liable to anything from winning to getting blitzed. Things not going too well currently in the final for him as Robbo is 5-3 up and looking every bit the winner in going forward. We all know that things can change in the twinkling of an eye, so too early to write Barry off just yet, but he needs to settle in straight from the off tonight and take his chances when they come around.;)
Yes the Final was just one match too many for Hawkins after the late finish Saturday. Shoot Out later in the week!! Not really my thing. Might put First Round Draw up tomorrow though.

'It is great and horrible at the same time' - Snooker Shoot Out takes players out of comfort zone, says Dominic Dale.

“It is a tournament where you are out of your comfort zone," 2014 Shoot Out winner Dominic Dale said. "There is a terrific amount of pressure and just half a mistake, or something happens that does not work out, you cannot play another shot, a fluke from your opponent. All these things build to create a great deal of pressure."

Snooker switches gears on Thursday, with the high-octane nature of the Shoot Out following on from Neil Robertson’s Triple Crown win in the Masters.
The 12th edition of the Shoot Out takes place at the Morningside Arena in Leicester, with the event live on Eurosport, and with it now being a ranking event it takes on added significance.
Snooker purists are not big fans of the one-frame, 10-minute format - but the crowd lap it up and those who take part thoroughly enjoy the experience.
Dominic Dale is now well known for his work in the Eurosport commentary box, but he will dust off his cue this week - for an event he won in 2014.
Dale has admitted his recollection is a bit of a blur on account of a late-night celebration, but is looking forward to the cut-and-thrust of battle.
When asked about his memories of his victory on Eurosport, Dale said: “A rather late night afterwards.
“It is a great, fun event and suits my slightly extrovert personality. It’s a tournament made for me really.
“It is a tournament where you are out of your comfort zone.
"There is a terrific amount of pressure and just half a mistake, or something happens that does not work out, you can not play another shot, a fluke from your opponent. All these things build to create a great deal of pressure.
“It is great and horrible at the same time. It is a test, but I am looking forward to it.”;)

Well here are the First Round 1 Frame shoot outs as of today, 5 withdrawals so far so may be more changes later in week. As you can see even under proper rules quite a random set of prices. A lot of the top players not bothering - Trump, O'Sullivan, Robertson (N), Higgins, Maguire, McGill from Top 16.

1642464669379.png

Well here are the First Round 1 Frame shoot outs as of today, 5 withdrawals so far so may be more changes later in week. As you can see even under proper rules quite a random set of prices. A lot of the top players not bothering - Trump, O'Sullivan, Robertson (N), Higgins, Maguire, McGill from Top 16.

View attachment 110847
..... Nicely set out and gives one an idea on who is in and who is out. One cannot really blame for the top players to give this type of tournament a miss, as it really boils down to luck and an absolute lottery. I think it becomes more of a spectacle for the spectators as they usually are up there and very nearly among the action. From what I have witnessed in the past everything seems to go, noise, beer swilling and the lot, with no rules out there to stop it happening. Reminds me of something like a big booze up in a big hall and everything goes. Plenty of action and little time for getting down and chalking ones cue, then getting up and chalking it again. Still, I suppose it is all good fun at the end of the day, and helps to let one's hair down with flashes of misses, mistakes and probably some sheer brilliance when it really matters. Good luck to the eventual winner of this cavalry charge!;)

Snooker’s unique BetVictor Shoot Out runs from Thursday to Sunday this week (January 20 to 23) at the Morningside Arena in Leicester. Here’s what you need to know.

What are the Covid rules?
Fans do not need to show a Covid pass when they arrive at the venue. But they will need to wear a facemask inside the building, unless eating or drinking.

Who’s in it?
Click here for the first round match schedule. Remarkably, in its 11-year history, the Shoot Out has never been won by a player ranked inside the top 16 at the time. If that is to change this year then one of Mark Selby, Shaun Murphy, Mark Williams, Zhao Xintong, Barry Hawkins, Stuart Bingham, Mark Allen, Yan Bingtao or Luca Brecel will need to lift the trophy. Other star names in the 128-player field include defending champion Ryan Day, three time UK Champion Ding Junhui (playing in the Shoot Out for the first time since 2013), legends Ken Doherty and Jimmy White, and Women’s World Champion Reanne Evans. World Champion and world number one Selby is playing in his home city – watch him talking about his Leicester roots here.;)

Teenager Stan Moody wins first-round match at Snooker Shoot Out.

By Darren Plant, Senior Reporter | 38s

Teenager Stan Moody has recorded a shock first-round win over Lu Ning at the Snooker Shoot Out in Leicester.​

The 15-year-old, making his debut in the event, posted a 53-27 victory over the world number 31.
Moody opened with a long red and although both players had chances during the quick-fire contest, the youngster deserved to prevail with plenty to spare.;)

Why is Shoot Out missing world's top players? Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump and Neil Robertson sit out ranking event.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is missing the 2022 snooker Shoot Out in Leicester after vowing never to take part in the event following his early exit in 2020. The tournament runs from January 20 to January 23. Stream the 2022 Shoot Out live and on demand on discovery+. A subscription for discovery+ is now £29.99 for the first year for UK users, down from £59.99.

World number one Mark Selby made a winning start to his Shoot Out campaign against Li Hang on Thursday, but the world champion's willingness to participate in the tournament has not been matched by the rest of the game's elite.
Four of the world's top five have opted out with Judd Trump, Neil Robertson and Ronnie O'Sullivan not keen on the often chaotic, unpredictable and frantic nature of Shoot Out snooker (LIVE on Eurosport) which can see players lose a 10-minute match without playing a proper shot.
  • Selby wins Snooker Shoot Out opener, Lisowski through, Reanne Evans out
  • Shoot Out as it happened: Murphy wins thriller as defending champion Day falls at first hurdle.
  • Kyren Wilson reached the semi-finals in 2015, but the sport's number five has missed the past two years. Masters champion Robertson and world number two Trump have not competed since 2016, the year before the event was controversially given ranking event status.
    Scottish trio John Higgins, Stephen Maguire and 2017 winner Anthony McGill are also skipping the Morningside Arena a week after competing at The Masters.
  • Six-times world champion O'Sullivan competed in the 2020 event for the first, time in five years, but vowed never to return after losing to world number 104 Billy Castle in the second round.
    “I will never play in the Shoot Out again. I love it as an event, but as a player there is no value," he said.

I played it this year, the first time in five years, because everyone said they were enjoying it and I thought ‘I have got to see what it’s all about’.
    "As a player I don’t like playing in it, but I can step back and see as a spectator – which is the most important thing at the end of the day – it is enjoyable to watch."
    Trump reached the last 32 six years ago while Robertson's solitary
  • appearance came a decade ago when he reached the quarter-finals in Blackpool, but he has never viewed it as a classic form of snooker when it feels like a lottery.
  • The winner will receive £50,000 with 2005 world champion Shaun Murphy admitting he is keen on the ranking points following his dramatic 51-50 victory over teenager Chang Bingyu from 50-1 behind in the first round.
    "I know they call me the magician, but I feel like Houdini after that," said Murphy.
    Former champion Dominic Dale warmly praised the event ahead of its start, saying:
  • “It is a great, fun event and suits my slightly extrovert personality. It’s a tournament made for me really.
    “It is a tournament where you are out of your comfort zone.
    "There is a terrific amount of pressure and just half a mistake, or something happens that does not work out, you can not play another shot, a fluke from your opponent. All these things build to create a great deal of pressure.
    “It is great and horrible at the same time. It is a test, but I am looking forward to it.” ;)

..... another good job The Hare The Hare in what has to be a very sketchy field. I noticed you had two entries Aaron Hill so I guess it was meant to be one other. Still some good ties in there when you look at Hawkins v Carter, Ken Doherty v David Gilbert and it will be interesting to see how 15 year old Stan Moody performs. Certainly good to see him taking part in what is largely a senior event. Look forward with interest to the next showdown and more bodies falling by the wayside.;)

Mark Williams and Mark Allen reach last 16 as Mark Selby and Stuart Bingham suffer defeats.

The rapid-fire Shoot Out continues on Sunday. Coverage commences at 12:45 GMT on discovery+, Eurosport 1, the Eurosport App and Eurosport.co.uk. The tournament runs from January 20 to January 23.

Shoot Out last-16 draw​

• Mark Williams v Matthew Selt
  • Oliver Lines v Liang Wenbo
  • Jamie Clarke v Mitchell Mann
  • Hossein Vafaei v Michael Georgiou
  • Steven Hallworth v Daniel Womersley
  • Robbie Williams v Andrew Higginson
  • Billy Joe Castle v Dean Young
  • Chris Wakelin v Mark Allen
  • ;)

Vafaei Makes History As First Iranian Champion.

Hossein Vafaei became the first Iranian player to win a ranking title by beating Mark Williams in the final of the BetVictor Shoot Out in Leicester.

Williams played just one shot in the final, the break-off, as world number Vafaei 42 converted an excellent pot on a long red and went on to make a superb break of 71. He then missed a tricky red but, with only 67 points on the table, Williams had already taken off his shirt and offered the handshake.

A decade ago, Vafaei became the first Iranian player to compete on the main tour, and he has now broken new ground by capturing a professional title. Iran becomes the 14th country to produce a ranking event winner. Vafaei, nicknamed the Prince of Persia, hopes his success will inspire a new generation of snooker fans in his homeland.

Prior to this week, Vafaei had scored wins this season over Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby and Mark Allen

The 27-year-old had previous reached the semi-finals of three ranking events, losing to Williams on two of those occasions, but this time he could not be stopped. Undoubtedly he played the best snooker of this unique event, in which all matches are contested in a single frame. He made the highest break of the tournament, a 123, as well as three other breaks over 50, including a crucial 54 in the semi-finals as he came from 48-0 down to beat Liang Wenbo.

The £50,000 winner’s cheque plus the £5,000 high break prize gives him the biggest pay-day of his career so far. He also now looks set to qualify for next month’s Cazoo Players Championship and potentially the Cazoo Champion of Champions later in the year. Vafaei jumps 19 places to 23rd in the world rankings.

World number eight Williams missed out on a milestone 25th ranking title and the chance to become the first player ranked inside the top 16 to win the Shoot Out in its 11-year history. Victory would have also made the 46-year-old the second oldest winner of a ranking event, after fellow Welshman Ray Reardon. Williams was rarely in danger of losing throughout the four-day event until the final, where he could do little against an inspired opponent.

Vafaei is joined in celebration by Samuel Boswell of BetVictor and WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson

Vafaei, who is based in Darlington during the season, said: “It’s such a big achievement for me, it’s a dream come true. All of the young players in Iran will see what is possible. I have worked hard for this. Everyone around me knows how hard I work for tournaments. I had beaten some good players this season and that gave me belief that I can do something in this game. Who knows how far I can go now.

“When I arrived at this event I nearly pulled out because my grandmother passed away. I was in my room crying for one hour for my grandma. My mother and everyone in my family were crying. I decided to play but I didn’t care about winning or losing. An energy came to me, I don’t know how to explain it, and I played fantastic. It was very sad news for me but everyone told me to win it for my grandma, I wanted to do that and I have done it.

“I can’t imagine what the reaction back in Iran will be like, it will be very big. People will be proud of me and I am so happy about that. The future of snooker in Iran is very good and I am trying my best to make it bigger there. The first step is the hardest and I have won my first title now so maybe I can win more.”

Earlier in the semi-finals, Williams saw off Robbie Williams, who reached the last four of a ranking event for the second time in his career. China’s Liang might have knocked out Vafaei had he not miscued on the black when he led 48-0. Vafaei compiled a break of 54 which proved enough.;)

..... another good job The Hare The Hare in what has to be a very sketchy field. I noticed you had two entries Aaron Hill so I guess it was meant to be one other. Still some good ties in there when you look at Hawkins v Carter, Ken Doherty v David Gilbert and it will be interesting to see how 15 year old Stan Moody performs. Certainly good to see him taking part in what is largely a senior event. Look forward with interest to the next showdown and more bodies falling by the wayside.;)
Sorry yes had Hill in twice. Great to see Hossein win, he had a rough time with interfering Politicians at the beginning of his career. Amazing how easy it is to get Assylum yet a guy wanting to work in the only countries that play the game Professionally had so much trouble. Glad it's all sorted now. By far the best player throughout though lucky Wenbo miscued.

Wednesday and they are off to Germany for the German Masters. Only 15 games - a bye for Trump as young Chinese pulled out. Maybe another Visa case or Covid scared I don't know. He played in the Shoot Out. So Trump is that top of the draw, here in Draw order. A few lesser players have made it.

1643060314544.png

..... looks like a good few of the big boys are opting out of this one, including Ronnie who must be catching up on his rest. Looking at the draw it looks to me like a second rate tournament. it certainly does not sir me with intense excitement. Mark Williams is in there I note, and it appears that he seems to have rediscovered some lost late form. Playing very well indeed and getting to the final of the robust shootout is no mean feat. I have read that Mark Selby is having mental problems which I did not suspect for one minute that he looked to be suffering anxiety etc whilst wrapped up in playing his matches. Always looked like Mr.Cool to me but obviously been bottling it all up inside and probably been making matters worse in doing so. There seems to be a lot of players around currently with bundles of problems, don't know whether it is the snooker, the crowd or perhaps the pressures that have been around due to Covid issues, and then there is Mark Allen with all his money worries and his ex playing him up. Maybe some of them ought to be thinking of some form of therapy to try and calm matters down a little.;)

Back