• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

.....all v interesting. For me J White was my player. Shame he never won the big one. The I Lendl of snooker!!
Standards have improved over the years and quality is down to the lower ranking players.

.... of course, Jimmy was right up there among the big boys. When he was on song he was as good as anyone and better than most. I believe there are some clips of Jimmy in the 1982 final against Higgins. :)

..... there are some sorry looking clips in that library section I posted above. Higgins was a mere shadow of his former self, and if he had not abused his body and smoked as much when he was younger, then he could still be alive today. Same era as Jimmy, and he does a decent job as snooker commentator. :eek:

.... Have to say though that Alex was certainly but would try almost anything from his vast array of shots he had. Sometimes wonderful, sometimes erratic but always entertaining. :)

.... Strange, I just found out that Alex Higgins holds the highest break of 135 to win the World Champioship in 1982 against Ray Reardon. Never knew that so obviously slipped up somewhere along the line, :)

.... just found a clip of this, and I think it says it all.....

What made this man so good was his flair and showmanship. He always wanted to entertain. That is evident when he could easily have potted a final ball, but preferred to turn it into a trick shot, something he often did. I have my doubts that anything he did, was a fluke. ;)

.... another couple of clips showering Higgins with compliments:-

His long-time rival and frequent nemesis Steve Davis said: "No one player has ever been bigger than the game, but he brought a genius quality that possibly hadn't been seen before."

Ronnie O'Sullivan recalled: "Alex was one of the real inspirations behind me getting into snooker. He is a true legend and should be forever remembered as being the finest-ever snooker player." ;)

.... a few lines of tribute from his great friend Jimmy White:- ;)

“Alex was one of my best friends and the film is a really nice tribute to him,” said White (pictured above).

“I’ll never forget Alex and I’m still angry he is not with us. For as long as I pick up a cue, he will always be in my thoughts.

“He is the reason why I started playing snooker and I will always be thankful to him for that. He took the game to a new level and hopefully it can keep thriving.

..... it is absolutely amazing that no one else is interested in snooker on here. Meanwhile looks like I plough the lone furrow myself. Just like being on a dessert island I would imagine. :crazy:

..... a little more about the Irishman:- ;)

Attachments

• 2020-05-08_144315.png
    2020-05-08_144315.png
    494 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020-05-08_144432.png
    2020-05-08_144432.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
.... I forgot to mention that in the picture above where Alex is winning the trophy, he is pictured with his wife long before they split up. I think the marriage lasted about five years. :)

..... a little tribute I picked up earlier which I thought was nice and said it all:-

dylan ryan 6 months ago
dylan ryan

In my opinion Alex Higgins is the only reason snooker survived I must admit when I first heard and watched him I used to think he was a bit of a waster but over the last year watching matches and learning about his life I have to say he’s definitely one of the most flamboyant players ever to live and when he was asked what would he do without snooker his reply was priceless “what would snooker do without me”

The best players for me are/were the cavalier unpredictable ones, the ones you could never peg if they would play a safe shot or a cavalier one.
Higgins.
White.
O'Sullivan.

The most exciting trio of them all.

..... hello M Morgan .... I see you only just joined today, welcome to the thread, at least it makes a real change for someone on here to get mixed up in snooker. I note that you liked some of my heroes and none better than Alex Higgins in his day and at the top of his game. Really exciting days they were back then. Jimmy White could make a good account of himself also in those days and Alex and him had some real old ding dongs! Of course in more modern times we have Ronnie, an absolute genius in a different kind of way, and who else plays equally well with both hands. Any clips you want to add, just come back, the thread will still be here. ;)

..... a clip showing snooker to start again... ;)

Thursday 21 May 2020 04:02PM

Snooker’s Championship League will return with an exciting new format from June 1st to 11th live on ITV, bringing world-class sport back to living rooms nationwide.
Announcement from Matchroom Multi Sport
Featuring 64-players in round-robin groups, the new-look Championship League will take place behind closed doors at Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes with strict rules on social distancing, COVID testing and hygiene in place, in line with government guidelines. Marshall Arena has been selected as the venue as it has an on-site accommodation meaning no players, officials or staff will need to leave the venue once they have entered.
All 128 World Snooker Tour card holders will be invited to participate, with the top 64 who enter receiving a place in the tournament. Top players including Judd Trump, Neil Robertson, Mark Allen and Kyren Wilson have already confirmed they will enter the event.

..... the return of snooker is very much needed for it's followers. Looks like the return on June 1st is going to be quite a large affair as most of the big names are already in there and signed up. Looks like it is entirely a new format with players lined up to play in round robin groups. Should be interesting and good to see the Green baize game returning. ;)

Back