• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

..... next up The Northern Ireland Open 11th - 17th November, just one week from today and the big one - O'Sullivan v White! :eek:

So looking forward to next week's open in Belfast.

I have to say Shaun Murphy was very lucky to have escaped in his match against Reanne Evans, if it was first to 7 he would have been toast.

Today's match against Jimmy White is just one of the reasons why Ronnie is the greatest player of all time.
One frame away from defeat and still had belief.
Played gutsy shots when it meant it could be his last.
Ronnie smelt blood with Jimmy "twitching" and closed out the match in deadly fashion.

Why this man has not been knighted yet with all he has achieved (more than any other) and done for snooker, truly leaves me perplexed.

Last edited:
...... yes we all agree Ronnie is the goods, but surely we have to question how he slipped to 3-0 down in the first place when he is currently number three in the world rankings and Jimmy is currently 128th. Jimmy must have risen to the big occasion to have put up such a decent showing. :eek:

Well I need not question why for many reasons....

When you look at the match you would have seen Ronnie going for his shots and some really fanciful ones he was not holding back, he was playing faster than he usually does and his long pot success was poor.
So a 3 zip scoreline was not unusual to see in these circumstances.

Regardless of all that a 3-0 lead happens to the best and a high world ranking has no respect for such a scoreline no matter who you are.

You only have to hear Ronnie in interviews and listen to his attitude, his 100% focus is not on snooker, he hasn't the hunger he once did and he is playing for fun these days, not prestige.
The only reason Ronnie wins from way back to class players is anyone's guess, but I call it genius, his natural talent is his saviour.

Unlike say a Trump who is playing for prestige, is 100% focused on snooker and has that hunger to dominate the game.
You need all that to be No.1 and World Champion.

As for Jimmy White it was obvious to see just how much it would have meant to him to beat Ronnie, which is why he choked and lost such a lead.
Being great friends I am sure the bragging rights would have been something for Jimmy.

Everyone rises to the occasion when they play Ronnie, because he still is the standard to which most would like to be measured by, made obvious by so many players when asked in interviews who they would like to play, who they think is the best.
He is still The Master of the game.

Simply put, Ronnie has nothing left to prove.
Everyone else has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
..... sorry I did not set out with the intention of pulling Ronnie to pieces, far from it and I do recognize his genius as probably the worlds best player. All I was trying to say was that on paper, 0-3 was a perilous position to find oneself in and Jimmy White looked to be playing out of his skin. I fully realize that the two have been true ambassadors for the game over the years and both are still a credit to the professional ranks. :drinks:

No worries at all, I know you weren't trying to pull Ronnie apart.
I was just outlining how such a scoreline might have come about. :handgestures-thumbup:

.... that's OK then we both seem to agree, probably the way we described the snooker as we saw it! Happy viewing! :D

.... I see that Ronnie lost 6-5 to Neil Robertson in the Champion of Champions and leaves Robertson to play the winner of Trump and Mark Allen in the final. :)

..... so it's Trump versus Robertson for the final. Looks like Judd had a struggle against Mark Allen, only got through 6-4 so quite tight. Should be a good final if Robertson is on his game. :eek:

It made my morning to see Judd Trump had got beaten.
So, so pleased to see the fantastic Robertson win, when you have beaten Ronnie you most definitely deserve it.
😆

..... I see the Northern Ireland Open kicked off today. Top prize £70,0000 and guess what! - The Alex Higgins Trophy!!!
Selby through 4-2. Ronnie plays tomorrow. :)

Selby was very lucky to come out on top, his opponents lack of experience was the only thing that kept him from claiming a big scalp.

I look forward to the Trump/Cahill game.
Cahill is talented and could well upset in this match.

Last edited:
..... Trump through 4-3 so no surprises there. I note that Jimmy White went out 4-2 to an old colleague Peter Ebdon who I thought might have been drawing his pension by now! 🤣

...... Mark Joyce 4-3. Saw most of these frames and Robertson was off with his long potting. Only 54% pot rate. Joyce had a big 137 in frame 5 and a great chance to win in the 6th. Missed a Green with the rest in the Green baulk corner pocket and let in Robertson to level at 3-3. Never saw the last one but looked on line to see 4-3 in Joyce favour. Got interested enough to have a look at Mark Joyce ranking. In at 52nd and made half a million so could still come good. :)

Often happens, win a title then out first round the next tournament.
Mark Joyce is no prom queen though, he has beaten class players in the past and the result did not surprise me.
Mark Allen could do well on home soil.

..... Allen, Trump and Selby reach the last 32 in the Northern Ireland championships. Mark Joyce had another win I believe, so he is going well also. Mark Allen seems to be playing well and had a big 4-0 win to see him through. He could end up going all the way. :handgestures-thumbup:

...... yeah! I just saw that myself a few minutes ago, must be in the last 16 by now. Ken Doherty and Shaun Murphy through 4-3 with our old friend Anthony Hamilton making it through 4-3. Got to be ages since I last saw him in the closing stages. Mark Joyce and Ali Carter bit the dust 3-4 but as you say Ronnie lives to fight another day! :eek:

Back