• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

The Hare

Colt
‘I feel extremely hard done by that I have lost to someone who shouldn’t even be in the building,’ Murphy told BBC Radio 5 Live.

‘I don’t know why we as a sport allow amateurs to compete in professional tournaments. This is our livelihood. This is our living. We are self-employed individuals and not contracted sportsmen. We don’t play for a team.
‘The other 127 runners and riders in the tournament, it is their livelihood too. It is wrong, in my opinion, to walk into somebody who is not playing with the same pressures and concerns I am.

‘He played like a man who does not have a care in the world, because he does not have a care in the world. It is not fair, it is not right.

‘I am not picking on him as a young man, he deserved his victory. Amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, the end.’

He will regret this statement now. What a spoilt brat as Murphy returns to his old days. He doesn't like York ever since the Maguire fiasco which he now denies what happened then. I guess it was just that he turned up in agony and not in the best of health.

But some of these statements are ridiculous. The reason there are not 128 Professionals is down to Covid and WPBSA not topping up the list with the top ranked Qualifying School players as these "amateurs" are. They are not amateurs they are just not on the Tour officially full time. To say they don't have a care in the World is so stupid. A guy making around £300,000 a year plus whatever sponsorships and the like. Complaining about a player trying to scrape a living and put food on his table. These players are effectively Professional and this is their livelihood and they have a lot more cares and worries than Murphy has. He wants to take a long hard look at the distribution of money in snooker and think why didn't he try and help those on the breadline when he worked as a Player's representative.

Not Murphy's finest moment, and as the article says Williams and Robertson are moaning as well. Some ungrateful people who should appreciate how lucky they are.

Not Murphy's finest moment, and as the article says Williams and Robertson are moaning as well. Some ungrateful people who should appreciate how lucky they are.
..... yes. if you have a little talent there is money to be made out there without having to scrape around for a living. These guys are indeed fortunate, and they don't even have to win tournaments to make money as round by round funds automatically increase the higher you get. As you said, they really don't know just how lucky they are with money problems probably well behind them.;)

Ronnie O'Sullivan tells Shaun Murphy to "get another job" after snooker amateurs rant.

Ronnie O’Sullivan has hit out at Shaun Murphy after the Magician was eliminated from the UK Championships in the first round by Chinese youngster Si Jiahui.

O'Sullivan told Murphy to "get another job" after the 39-year-old complained about amateur players being allowed to compete in professional tournaments.

The Rocket got his bid for an eighth UK Championship victory under way with a 6-3 win over Wales’s Michael White at York’s Barbican Centre.
And afterwards the 45-year-old insisted he doesn't share Murphy’s anger about top-up players making up the numbers in pro events.

"I play this for a hobby and am basically on holiday. If I had to play for a living I’d be like Shaun Murphy – in bits," O'Sullivan said.
"As for what Shaun said about the amateurs, I hope it gets worse for the top players, they had better get another job if they don’t like it.
"He’s got to get used to it or get his head around it, because it’s going to get worse but speak to the other guys as they seem to have plenty to say."

Murphy said he's upset that professional players are forced to compete against amateurs who "don't play with the same pressures and concerns" as they're not self-employed.
"I am going to sound like a grumpy old man but [Si Jiahui] shouldn't be in the tournament. It is not fair, it is not right," he said on Wednesday.

"I feel extremely hard done by that I have lost to someone who shouldn't even be in the building.;)

The Hare

Colt
Ronnie's always good for a quote! The times he has complained about little things. Robertson getting involved did him no good as Astley showed his very best, if only he could maintain it for longer. The top of the draw looks very weak now so a good chance for McGill or Yuelong to progress, or even Astley playing like that.

Next round starting tomorrow.
1637918997273.png

I could write a book… but who’d buy it? Mark Allen on ‘toughest year’ of his life.

Antrim snooker star Mark Allen believes he could write a book about his tumultuous 2021, which he was described as one of the toughest years of his life.

The 35-year-old declared himself bankrupt in May of this year and has been involved in a dispute with former partner Reanne Evans over maintenance payments for their daughter.

Read More​

On the table, he won last month’s Northern Ireland Open when he defeated John Higgins 9-8 in Belfast but then revealed he wasn’t even confident he would get any of the £70,000 prize money.

That preceded an early defeat at the hands of Luca Brecel at the English Open and his decision not to defend his Champion of Champions title due to “personal reasons” earlier this month.

Allen returned to action at the UK Championship yesterday when he defeated Ireland’s Michael Judge 6-2 in the first round, however he revealed after the win that he was on the verge of not playing in the event.
"If it was my own decision alone and not that of the legal people, I think I’d have pulled out, if I’m honest,” admitted World No.11 Allen, who questioned if he’d keep playing after declaring himself bankrupt.

"They’re a lot more confident going forward than I am, but you have to trust their decision, they know the legal profession a lot better than I do. All three solicitors I have involved said I should play, and hopefully things will sort themselves out very soon.

"It’s not an ideal situation I’m in and I can’t wait until it’s all over and I can tell you what’s actually going on, because you could literally write a book about the last year. Not many people might buy it, to be fair.

"It’s been one of the toughest years of my life, to be honest.”;)

'Hit them with grenades' - Ronnie O’Sullivan vows to fight hard for UK Championship glory in York.​

"You are judged on the three majors,” O’Sullivan told Eurosport. “At the end of your career it’s how many you have stacked up and I am trying to stack as many as I can up. It is getting a bit more difficult as I am getting towards the end of my career. If I can rack up one or two more then great, if not they’ve still got to chase me. It is setting that target for the important records.”

Ronnie O’Sullivan is hoping to bring the eye of the tiger to his UK Championship challenge, as he is focusing on adding more triple crown titles to his CV.
The Rocket shook off a shaky start to beat Robbie Williams 6-2 at the Barbican to reach the last 32.
O’Sullivan has admitted to not being at his sharpest in recent times, but is looking to focus and make a determined bid to win the event for an eighth time. He has also won the World Championship six times and The Masters on seven occasions.
"You are judged on the three majors,” O’Sullivan, who has 20 triple crown titles, told Eurosport. “At the end of your career it’s how many you have stacked up and I am trying to stack as many as I can up. It is getting a bit more difficult as I am getting towards the end of my career. If I can rack up one or two more then great, if not they’ve still got to chase me. It is setting that target for the important records.”
Williams had his chances as he led 2-1, but O’Sullivan was more polished after the interval and feels his improved play piled pressure on his opponent.
“I’ve never changed my game,” he told the BBC. “If my game is good, just play the balls and the table. I am not good enough tactically to try and stop someone being their best.
“If I can hit them with enough grenades I hope their best becomes a little less good.
"If I did not get my act together he might have taken advantage. But I was focused and I made him feel it. I made him feel that I was out there to win. I have not been doing enough of that, enjoying it too much.
“I am going to try and not enjoy it this week. Smother myself in mustard, go for the hot chilli sauce and see what happens.”
O’Sullivan has arrived in York with a steely determination to end a title drought stretching back to the World Championship of 2020.
“I have been enjoying it so much I’ve not been prepared to dig in,” he said. “At some point, I think maybe I should apply myself mentally. That is the difference between winning and losing, the mental side. We can all play.
“There are times in tournaments that I've not that I’ve not played well, but had this will to win and competitive desire in me that kicks in. I need to do that if I am to have a chance of winning tournaments.
“It might not happen, but you need to apply yourself and find that eye of the tiger.”;)

‘I battled for everything’ – Mark Allen After Reaching Round 3.

Mark Allen is through to the last 32 of the UK Championship after beating Joe O’Connor 6-4 in York on Saturday night.

The two-time former runner-up wasn’t able to play at his free-scoring best but relied on his experience to get past a tricky opponent in the second round.

“It wasn’t pretty at times,” Allen told the World Snooker Tour in his post-match interview at the Barbican Centre.
“It wasn’t pretty in the way that there wasn’t a lot of balls missed, but it was just the way the frames went sometimes – the balls dictated it and the black was getting tied up after nearly every break-off.”

“It just didn’t lend itself to free-flowing open snooker, but every match is different at the end of the day and you have to be ready for that.

“I’m proud of the way I battled. I didn’t have my best stuff, but I just battled for everything really and I won three frames that I had absolutely no right to win.

“That was the difference in the match, because on another day Joe wins that 6-2 and that would have been a fair reflection on play. I felt like he was the better player throughout.”

Allen is looking to make his mark on another ranking event having already reached two finals this season, losing to next opponent David Gilbert in the Championship League during the summer before capturing the Northern Ireland Open title on home soil last month in Belfast.

“It’s always nice to nick one early. You feel like that’s a box ticked early on in the season, and you can sort of relax a little bit.”

“Ultimately, when you get down to the nitty-gritty later on in other events, the pressure comes back then obviously and you want to win multiple tournaments.

“I don’t want to be someone who nicks one here and there; I want to be a regular winner and I haven’t quite done that yet, so maybe winning my home event under that sort of pressure could be what turns it around for me.”

Elsewhere on day four of the UK Championship, there were victories for Ronnie O’Sullivan and John Higgins as the higher seeds continued to perform strongly.

O’Sullivan fought back from 2-1 down to beat Robbie Williams 6-2 while Higgins held off a late rally from Sunny Akani to prevail 6-3.

Kyren Wilson, Jack Lisowski, and Barry Hawkins also all safely made it through to the next stage, although Masters champion Yan Bingtao crashed out after a 6-3 reverse against Ben Woollaston.

Among the other underdogs still in with a shot are Matthew Selt, Mark King, Noppon Saengkham, and veteran Welshman Dominic Dale.

On Sunday, the second round concludes with the likes of Judd Trump, Mark Selby, and Ding Junhui rejoining the fray.
Footnote : Ding already out of this tournament earlier today. ;)

The Hare

Colt
Well starting to get serious now. These players who can turn in one brilliant performance and not repeat in the next round! Astley, can Vafaei repeat his Selby display, though Selby well short of best. Trump scrambling through now has his pal Selt who is in top form. Top quarter the weakest with Brecel to beat Maguire the most interesting prospect.
1638178312676.png

Well starting to get serious now. These players who can turn in one brilliant performance and not repeat in the next round! Astley, can Vafaei repeat his Selby display, though Selby well short of best. Trump scrambling through now has his pal Selt who is in top form. Top quarter the weakest with Brecel to beat Maguire the most interesting prospect.
View attachment 108809
...... Barry Hawkins and Stuart Bingham seem to have tricky games and could go close. Should be an intriguing match between David Gilbert and Mark Allen. Mark will have to pull out all the stops with this one I think, and depends on how is concentration is when they eventually clash. Stephen Maguire could be in trouble too if he does not pull himself together, he has not got anywhere near his true form for a while now, so he needs to pull out all the stops too. Most of the big boys look comfortable with the ratings and provided they all play to form there should be few surprises there methinks.;)

‘Crap from start to finish’ – Judd Trump unhappy with performance after shock UK Championship exit.

Former champion Judd Trump was unhappy with his ‘crap’ performance at the UK Snooker Championship and admits he ‘felt flat’ during his third-round defeat to Matthew Selt.

Pre-tournament favourite Trump won the opening frame against close friend Selt but then lost four of the next five frames to trail 4-2.

A comeback appeared to be on the cards when Trump reduced his deficit to just one frame but Selt won the next on the black before booking his place in the last-16 stage with a brilliant 128 clearance.

Asked to rate his performance after the 6-3 defeat, former world champion Trump said: ‘Just poor really, crap from start to finish.
‘It almost seems to be the same thing at this venue, I always struggle here, the tournament seems to take so long, I felt flat. I can’t get up for it.

‘I scrapped through the first couple of games but I felt flat really. You need butterflies to get up for games.

‘I was missing such easy balls. You can’t afford to miss easy balls at this level. I wasn’t playing well enough to take my chances today.’
World number 35 Selt added: ‘I started off a bit slow and I missed a good chance in the first frame, it felt like a mountain to climb at that stage but I managed to get back into it. I’m absolutely delighted.’

Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry insisted he was ‘delighted’ for Selt after he reached the fourth round of the UK Championship for only the third time in his career.

‘I’m delighted for him,’ Hendry said on the BBC. ‘I doubted if he could do that and Judd was playing well early on.

‘But Matt dug in and the best players are the ones who can finish a match like that, that’s how you want to win a match.

‘Judd was bang under it because of Selt. It’s difficult when you play a friend but Matt put him under real pressure.;)

The Hare

Colt
..... just noticed that Ronnie was through and Higgins and Trump out, so nice to know that Ronnie is going well.;)
Been carnage for the big names. I suppose the next complaint will be they have to play in many more tournaments than the low ranked players and they are unprepared for the big events/ The last few years since the UK was squeezed in between loads of other events the Top 16 have struggled. In Trump#s case, I suppose it is hard to lift the motivation again so soon after winning a little Invitation event, I think they said thatonly 21 occasions has someone won consecutive ranking events since they started and they have been spread out with decent gaps for a lot of that time.
Trump was poor, but Selt now has the master Chris Henry helping him.
So quite a different last 16. Looking at the prices the main differences seem to be Woollaston, Saengkham and Vafaei. certainly be interrested in them, though whether Saengkham has the game to beat Ronnie yet we will have to see. Ronnie must sense blood now! Down to 2 tables so less distractions fro the players as well.
1638352132258.png

Been carnage for the big names. I suppose the next complaint will be they have to play in many more tournaments than the low ranked players and they are unprepared for the big events/ The last few years since the UK was squeezed in between loads of other events the Top 16 have struggled. In Trump#s case, I suppose it is hard to lift the motivation again so soon after winning a little Invitation event, I think they said thatonly 21 occasions has someone won consecutive ranking events since they started and they have been spread out with decent gaps for a lot of that time.
Trump was poor, but Selt now has the master Chris Henry helping him.
So quite a different last 16. Looking at the prices the main differences seem to be Woollaston, Saengkham and Vafaei. certainly be interrested in them, though whether Saengkham has the game to beat Ronnie yet we will have to see. Ronnie must sense blood now! Down to 2 tables so less distractions fro the players as well.
View attachment 108920
…. I have just seen Ronnie get through his match by 6-3 and I have not seen him so fully committed for a long while now.
He looked really up for it and looked like his old self with dedication and commitment. I would not be surprised if he went all the way if he keeps focussed as he is at the moment.;)

Ronnie O’Sullivan claims he’s ‘never seen a more talented snooker player’ than Zhao Xintong.

Ronnie O’Sullivan reckons he has never seen a more talented snooker player than Zhao Xintong as the Chinese star starts to fulfil his immense potential at the UK Championship.

The 24-year-old has been touted as one of the next superstars of the game for almost a decade, catching the eye at Chinese events as a teenager.

However, he is yet to convert his incredible skill into big wins, only reaching one semi-final since he turned professional in 2016.

This year’s UK Championship could prove to be a turning point for Zhao as he is into the quarter-finals of a Triple Crown event for the first time, beating both John Higgins and Thepchaiya Un-Nooh along the way.
O’Sullivan is thoroughly impressed and while the Rocket was en route to his own last 16 victory over Noppon Saengkham on Wednesday he was watching Zhao in action on the next table.

The six-time world champion could scarcely be more complimentary about the world number 26, saying he could be snooker’s Roger Federer.

‘I think he’s amazing, I think he’s our Federer. I’ve never seen a more talented snooker player,’ O’Sullivan said on the BBC.
‘He could do with maybe tightening up. I watch him sometimes, I was a bit like that but then I got [Ray] Reardon round me for a couple of years and you start to play a better defensive game.

‘He needs that because when them frames go a bit scrappy he looks like he’s always going to come off second best.

‘But he’s good, he’s unbelievable. But we keep saying it, he’s 24, he needs to start doing it. He’s not 17 or 18, how long can you keep saying he’s got potential?

‘At the end of the day you’ve got to do the business on the table.’

It has been slow progress for Zhao since bursting onto the scene, only reaching one quarter-final last season, so the Rocket is right to want to see more wins on the board from him.

This week in York would be the ideal place to make his name, though, as he prepares to take on either Jack Lisowski or Hossein Vafaei in the last eight.

‘It’s very important for me,’ Zhao told WST after beating Lines on Wednesday. ‘I’m very happy and this is my first time to the UK Championship quarter-final. I need to win because it will give me more confidence.’;)

The Hare

Colt
Xintong is great to watch but still a lot to learn. He's a bit like Lisowski 3 years ago. But Jack has got his game together a little. Still should be a great game today. So we have ended up with 5 Top 16 players in the last 8 so still competitive. Amazed Hicks has played so well, Gilbert really struggled with him last night, expect Hawkins has peaked though and maybe the end for Hicks. Be great if he wins though, underdogs are always good.
After the poor performance last time,,,on the ratings, Brecel, Wilson, Hawkins and Xintong are the value. I especially like Wilson against Ronnie but competitive stuff today.
1638522357294.png

Last edited:
..... watched Ronnie go out this afternoon without much fire in his belly. Got to 5-5 and he was in looking for an easy Red to the middle pocket. Relatively easy and nothing looking too hard about it at all. Did he pot it? Well of course not, when you depend on him sinking his shots all urgency goes out of the window. A simple missed shot and Kyren was in to clear up. It is the little things that Ronnie does not seem to do too well today. and maybe that is the difference between a champion and an also ran.;)