• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Snooker

Delboy99

Mare

'Deep down I know I can’t win it' - Judd Trump testing the waters with US Open Pool Championship entry.

“I’m going there to see if I could ever do it more, if I could play pool and go back to snooker and not lose too much feel or anything,” he said. “It’s a feeler event to go out there and test the water. “Deep down I know I can’t win it, but I’m getting a cue, I’ve got somewhere to practice for the next three days, I’ve got a table when I arrive so I can get going straight away.”​

Judd Trump says his trip across the Atlantic for the US Open Pool Championship is to test the waters, and he would be happy to win one game.
There is a gap in the snooker calendar due to the cancellation of the Turkish Masters, and it opened up a window for Trump to enter the eight-ball event.
Trump will face Joe Magee in his opening match on Monday, but is not expecting much as his practice has been non-existent and he does not even possess a pool cue.
“I’d be happy to win a game,” Trump told the Metro. “We left it so late and I’ve just tried to experiment and do as much as I can with no snooker tournaments going on.
“I’ve not even got a proper cue at the minute. I haven’t played since I was a kid, really. I expect absolutely nothing.”
The US Open is the most prestigious pool tournament on the calendar, and Trump is hoping to make a positive impression to open up the prospect of mixing sports.
“I’m going there to see if I could ever do it more, if I could play pool and go back to snooker and not lose too much feel or anything,” he said. “It’s a feeler event to go out there and test the water.
I don’t like going with the attitude that I’m just there to enjoy it, that’s not what I’m about, I like going there knowing I can win it.
“Deep down I know I can’t win it, but I’m getting a cue, I’ve got somewhere to practice for the next three days, I’ve got a table when I arrive so I can get going straight away.”
Trump has spoken about trying to modernise snooker, and he feels pool is more suited to his forward-thinking approach.
"It’s something I want to be involved with,” Trump said. “It’s much more up to date, more modern and more in line with the year we’re in and values I want and who I want to appeal to.

To be a worldwide sport you’ve got to have the backing of America, I think. Pool has the potential to do that, whereas snooker is still struggling, that’s why I’ve gone over there to suss out the market and see what can be done.
“There’ll be a lot more noise. It’s not good when you’re losing and I’m probably going to lose so it’s not good for me, but when you get on a winning streak in that kind of environment you can feel invincible.”
;)

Delboy99

Mare

Venue Cymru set to host Scottish Open 2021.

SOME of the world's best snooker players will visit Llandudno as the town hosts the Scottish Open for the first time.
The World Snooker Tour competition is set to take place at Venue Cymru from December 6 to 12 with star line-up likely to include names such as Selby, O’Sullivan, world number one Judd Trump, Neil Robertson, Shaun Murphy and Mark Williams. John Higgins, Stephen Maguire and Anthony McGill could also be taking part.
The event was expected to return to Glasgow, where it was held from 2016 to 2019, however a change of venue was required following a contractual issue.
Mark Selby won the title last year by thrashing Ronnie O’Sullivan 9-3 in the final. An incredibly strong field is once again expected, to battle for the Stephen Hendry Trophy. However, Wizard of Wishaw Higgins has set winning this title as one of his remaining goals.
The Scottish Open is the third of four events in the 2021/22 Home Nations Series.
It will receive extensive live television coverage on Eurosport.
Venue Cymru is also set to host the Cazoo Tour Championship next spring.
The theatre is no stranger to snooker, having previously staged events including the World Grand Prix and Players Championship.;)

Delboy99

Mare

Mark Selby doesn’t make snooker hard, he makes life hard for you, says Jordan Brown.

Mark Selby ‘doesn’t make snooker hard, he makes life hard for you’ according to Welsh Open champion Jordan Brown as he recalls a match with the world number one that he actually managed to win.
Selby is renowned as the toughest of the tough in terms of match-play snooker, with his granite mindset and safety game combined with his immense talent creating a sublime cocktail on the baize.
It has led him to four world titles and creates a unique environment for opponents in which they seem to struggle as much if not more with the mental side of the game as playing the shots.
Brown, who edged out Selby 5-4 in the quarter-finals of the Welsh Open this year on the way to a remarkable ranking first title, remembered that win and just how difficult it is to play the world champ.
‘Against Mark Selby it was an absolutely crazy game,’ Brown told the WST podcast. ‘He doesn’t make snooker hard, he makes life hard for you, because he puts you in the most awkward spots on a snooker table.
‘It’s places you just do not want to be in. I admire the way he plays and I respect his game and he just makes it so hard for you.
‘I was very proud of myself, the way I handled it, especially the deciding frame.’
Selby just fell short in that match with the Antrim Ferrari but he triumphed at the Crucible just a few months later, showing both the ability to blow opponents away and grind out results when needed.
The latter skill was on display in the semi-finals against Stuart Bingham when the Jester from Leicester scrapped his way to a 17-15 victory, battling his way past the 2015 world champion who appeared to be in more free-flowing form in Sheffield.
Bingham accused Selby of being ‘on the brink of gamesmanship’ during that match due to how long he was taking over some shots, although he has since taken that back and apologised for the comments.
Ball-run was shown, once again, just how gruelling it can be to take on Selby, though, especially over an extremely long format. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Wishaw snooker star John Higgins helps out Craigneuk Amateurs with donation.

One of Wishaw's best-known sportsman has done his bit to help regenerate a Craigneuk football park.
Snooker star John Higgins has made a financial donation to Craigneuk Amateurs AFC who are looking to regenerate The Humph, a football pitch in the village.
The team, which celebrated the 25th anniversary of its formation this year, is aiming to turn the park into a community hub to be used for other sides and youth teams.
The money the former World Champion has donated will be used to level off the pitch and work to improve the drainage.
Manager of Craigneuk Amateurs AFC, John Collins, told Lanarkshire Live that he hopes the project can become a real community effort for local people.
He said: "This donation from John is a massive help for us and it is great it is from someone who is passionate about the local community.
"His family are all from Craigneuk and know about the history of The Humph, and John himself used to stay here.
"The money is already being put to good use and will go towards some very much-needed pitch improvements next week.
"John got in touch with myself to say he was interested in helping us out and even wants to start coming to some of our games when the park is ready."
The park is steeped in history and has had some famous faces, such as Billy McNeill, play on it.
It has not been used for some time but John is keen to get The Humph back to its former glory and really involve the local community.
John added: "The community has really gotten behind this project and shown great support, people are always asking when the park will be ready and when they can come to watch a game.
"We have a lot of support from local businesses like the King Lud pub who have helped raise some money for us.
"This really is a community project and to actually have the community excited for it makes it a lot more worthwhile." ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Judd Trump whitewashes Joe Magee at US Open on 9-ball pool debut.

Judd Trump made his long-awaited 9-ball pool debut as he beat Joe Magee in a whitewash win at the US Open in Atlantic City.
The World Snooker 22-time ranking title winner allayed any early nerves with a solid opening break before going on to break and run in several racks.
With Magee watching on from his chair, Trump made his ascent to the hill with a fantastic cut on the eight, which saw him take the cue ball around the table to be in position and make a dream start.
Trump returns in the afternoon session against Dhruvalkumal Patel before an enticing clash between Kelly Fisher and Kristina Tkach. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Judd Trump Advances in US Open Pool Championship.

Snooker’s world number two has begun well as he changes pace with a different cue sport.

Judd Trump is through to the third round – or winner round 2 – of the 2021 US Open Pool Championship after dominating both of his fixtures in Atlantic City so far this week.
There has been much attention surrounding Trump’s decision to try a different discipline during what is a lull on the ongoing 2021/22 snooker calendar.
Trump played down his chances before the tournament started but has comfortably progressed past both of his opponents as he chases down the $50,000 top prize.
America’s Joe Magee was humbled 9-0 in the opening hurdle of the 256-player field, while Trump subsequently lost just two frames in overcoming Dhruvalkumar Patel of India on Tuesday with a 9-2 scoreline.
A berth in the last 32 of the US Open Pool Championship is at stake when Trump takes on Saudi Arabia’s Abdullah Al-Shammari on Wednesday.
The 2019 world snooker champion hasn’t been tested so far and harder challenges will lie ahead, but the 32 year-old has so far given a strong account of himself.
With a double-elimination format until the last 16, one defeat might not even spell the end of his aspirations of landing one of pool’s most coveted trophies.
Other notable names in pool who have been untroubled in reaching this point are defending champion Joshua Filler, Alex Pagulayan, Corey Deuel, and Darren Appleton.
“I’ve been playing snooker for a long time and pool is something that I’ve always wanted to do,” Trump told Matchroom Pool in the build-up to this year’s US Open.
“I never really had the opportunity or the space in between tournaments. I’ve kind of got a month off not doing anything else, and I’ve spoken to a couple of people behind the scenes that have been persuading me to try and have a go at it.”
“It always looks fun, and it’s something as a snooker player you always think it’s going to be quite easy, but I’ve had a couple of little practices and it’s a bit harder than it looks.
“I’m not really expecting much, for me it’s about trying new things and, who knows, in the future if pool picks up even more and we get time off I can hopefully combine the both of them. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Trump Defeated By Shaw in U.S.A. Pool.

Snooker’s world number two Judd Trump succumbed to a comprehensive 11-1 defeat against Jayson Shaw at the US Open 9-ball in Atlantic City.
Trump is following in the footsteps fellow snooker legends Ronnie O’Sullivan, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Alex Higgins in switching cue sport codes and trying his hand at 9-ball pool, making his competitive debut this week.
There were comfortable wins in round one and two for Trump, against relatively unknown opposition. However, today’s heavy defeat against Mosconi Cup star Shaw serves as a reminder that he has plenty to learn in the discipline.
Shaw, who won the US Open in 2017, was very impressive in his win and progresses to the next stage of the winner’s section. With a double elimination format in operation, not all hope is lost for Trump. He will return tomorrow in the loser’s half of the draw. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Judd Trump 'on his own' in wanting World Snooker Championship to leave Crucible Theatre in Sheffield

Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre has been defended as the rightful home of the World Snooker Championship after Judd Trump called for the sport’s showpiece event to move to a bigger venue.

The world number two, who lifted the trophy in 2019, this week claimed it was time for the tournament to move somewhere with a considerably larger capacity than the little under 1,000 spectators The Crucible can hold.​

“It’s an amazing venue but is it the best place for the World Championship now? Probably not, I don’t think,” Trump told Metro.co.uk.
“It needs a historic, prestigious event there. Maybe put the UK Championship there but the Worlds needs to go to a bigger venue, for me.”
The World Snooker Championship has been staged at The Crucible since 1977 and a deal is in place to keep it there until at least 2027.
Six-time winner Ronnie O’Sullivan last year said The Crucible was ‘important’ to the game and he believed it would ‘never die’, while World Snooker Tour boss Barry Hearn has previously said he would buy the venue if needs be to keep the season-ending event at its traditional Sheffield home.

Responding to Trump’s comments, former Sheffield MP and sports minister Richard Caborn said: “He seems to be very much on his own. All the players past and present I’ve spoken to have said consistently that it’s the atmosphere inside The Crucible which makes it such an amazing occasion and there’s no other stadium in the world for snooker which generates the same atmosphere.
“It gets the biggest TV viewing figures of any snooker tournament, which gives the sport massive exposure around the world.
“The Chinese have even built their own replica of The Crucible, which shows that it can’t be beaten for snooker.
“We’re the city of sport. We have the English Institute of Sport and the Olympic Legacy Park. Sport is in our DNA, and I’m confident snooker is staying here.” ;)

The Hare

Filly
"Responding to Trump’s comments, former Sheffield MP and sports minister Richard Caborn said: “He seems to be very much on his own. All the players past and present I’ve spoken to have said consistently that it’s the atmosphere inside The Crucible which makes it such an amazing occasion and there’s no other stadium in the world for snooker which generates the same atmosphere."

Shows how out of touch MPs are! Last week Robertson was wanting it moved. Personally the Crucible is excellent and a great place. Only improvement would be more similar seats if they had a bigger venue. Not those plastic transportable seats used at other snooker events.

Last edited:

The Hare

Filly
Missed snooker return yesterday with English Open qualifiers - 2 Chinese withdrawn due to Covid App and Brazilian kicked out for going home to see family, even though not playing until next month. Here are the First Round games - Top 16 seeds and Amateurs I have no rankings for are held over to the Finals. First 8 apart from Trump and McGill yesterday.

1631952026269.png

Delboy99

Mare
Missed snooker return yesterday with English Open qualifiers - 2 Chinese withdrawn due to Covid App and Brazilian kicked out for going home to see family, even though not playing until next month. Here are the First Round games - Top 16 seeds and Amateurs I have no rankings for are held over to the Finals. First 8 apart from Trump and McGill yesterday.

View attachment 105875
…. Interesting to find Ronnie. only sixth favourite according to these ratings.I would have expected Trump and maybe Selby to be ahead, but not the others. John Higgins looks well up there, which could be a little distorted. Anyway it will all come out in the wash as they say! ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Snooker news: 'I will do it again' – Judd Trump enjoys memorable splash in pool on competitive debut​

Judd Trump showed enough class on his competitive debut in pool to suggest he could contend for titles in the future. Despite an 11-10 defeat to Jason Theron that ended his US Open hopes after an 11-1 drubbing by 2020 Mosconi Cup MVP Jayson Shaw before the last-16 stage, the 2019 world champion enjoyed three wins as he continues to learn the key differences between blue and green baize combat.​

Judd Trump will return to his bread and butter when he faces Andrew Pagett on Sunday 10 October in the opening round of the Northern Ireland Open in Belfast (LIVE on Eurosport), but the man dubbed 'The Ace in the Pack' admits he is keen for a second helping of gravy in nine-ball pool.
Despite an 11-1 drubbing by 2010 Blackball world champion Jayson Shaw of Scotland and a narrow 11-10 defeat to South Africa's Jason Theron before the last 16 of the US Open Pool Championship, the world number two enjoyed three wins on his competitive debut, including an 11-5 victory over Abdullah Al-Shammari of Saudi Arabia.
The 2019 world champion believes he has massive room for improvement in pool after his Atlantic City learning experience saw him use the jump cue for the first time. The 22-times ranking event winner plans to return to the blue baize in the future.
Trump is a glorious entertainer with a snooker cue in hand and it would not take too much time and effort to transport those time-honed skills onto the smaller table if he is serious about competing in both cue sports in the future.

“I think I will do it again, as a sport it is on the up," said Trump, who will chase a record fourth straight victory in Belfast. "I like travelling to America anyway, and it is good to play a sport in another country.
“I had a lot more support from fans than I was expecting, and there were enough positives to make me do it again. A week’s practice and I’d still be in the tournament.
I honestly think I was at about five per cent of the level I could reach so that gives you hope, and it was nice to play Jayson Shaw, one of the real top pool players.
“You see the level in a match like that, and he could go close to winning it. But other top players who have won events recently went out in the same round I did.” ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Un-Nooh Blitz Secures English Open Spot.

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh produced a stunning display to whitewash Jamie O’Neill 4-0 and clinch a place in the final stages of the BetVictor English Open.
Un-Nooh, who is renowned as one of the fastest players on the circuit, wasted little time this afternoon. He averaged just 14.5 seconds per shot and required only 38 minutes to get over the line.
Thailand’s Un-Nooh was also in supreme break building form, firing in runs of 123, 82, 139 and 105 to secure the win. The final stages take place in Milton Keynes from November 1st to 7th.
World number 22 Ali Carter eased through with a 4-1 defeat of China’s Fan Zhengyi.
The Captain has enjoyed a strong start to the season, having made the final group of the BetVictor Championship League, reached the last 16 of the British Open and also qualified for the BetVictor Northern Ireland Open.
He continued that run of form this afternoon, securing his win in just one hour and 17 minutes, making breaks of 91 and 76 along the way.
Peter Devlin scored an impressive 4-3 defeat of former UK and Masters Champion Matthew Stevens, while Jamie Clarke sealed his place in the final stages with a 4-2 defeat of Zak Surety. ;)

The Hare

Filly

Un-Nooh Blitz Secures English Open Spot.

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh produced a stunning display to whitewash Jamie O’Neill 4-0 and clinch a place in the final stages of the BetVictor English Open.
Un-Nooh, who is renowned as one of the fastest players on the circuit, wasted little time this afternoon. He averaged just 14.5 seconds per shot and required only 38 minutes to get over the line.
Thailand’s Un-Nooh was also in supreme break building form, firing in runs of 123, 82, 139 and 105 to secure the win. The final stages take place in Milton Keynes from November 1st to 7th.
World number 22 Ali Carter eased through with a 4-1 defeat of China’s Fan Zhengyi.
The Captain has enjoyed a strong start to the season, having made the final group of the BetVictor Championship League, reached the last 16 of the British Open and also qualified for the BetVictor Northern Ireland Open.
He continued that run of form this afternoon, securing his win in just one hour and 17 minutes, making breaks of 91 and 76 along the way.
Peter Devlin scored an impressive 4-3 defeat of former UK and Masters Champion Matthew Stevens, while Jamie Clarke sealed his place in the final stages with a 4-2 defeat of Zak Surety. ;)

Excellent, great to see Thepchaiya back to form. A lot of points to get back after Virus chaos, but still the best player to watch.

Delboy99

Mare

John Virgo on Stephen Hendry Comeback: ‘It’s a mystery’.

The seven-time world champion announced his comeback around twelve months ago.

John Virgo can’t comprehend why Stephen Hendry has opted for a return to professional snooker following nine years of retirement from the game.
The 1979 UK champion has been left confused by the former world number one’s decision, which has seen him win just two matches on the circuit in the last six months.
“I don’t understand it, it’s a mystery to me, I’ve got to be honest with you,” John Virgo told the Talking Snooker Podcast when pressed about Stephen Hendry.
“It’s a mystery, I do not understand why he’d want to come back, and the reason I say that is – not that I’ve spoken to Stephen about it, and he’s a good friend of mine – but he was playing in some of the Seniors events and wasn’t getting results.”
“Why would he think that if he went on the Main Tour he’d start to get results? I didn’t understand it.
“Sometimes I think why is Jimmy playing…but Jimmy says ‘I love playing the game and I want to play’ so there’s no law against that.
“Maybe that’s the same reason for Stephen, I don’t know, but it was a strange decision and I still don’t understand it.
“I’ve not asked him why, because it’s not my business, but he’s not doing it for the money – the only way to get money out of it is to win a few matches, and that ain’t happening.”
Virgo, who also revealed in a wide-ranging discussion about his long career in and around the sport that this season might be his last in the commentary box with the BBC, ranked Ronnie O’Sullivan ahead of Hendry as the greatest player of all time.
“Ronnie is the best player I’ve ever seen (for) what he has produced at the highest level under the highest pressure situations.”
“If he had been a bit more level in his mind he’d have got up to 10 world titles, I’m convinced of that.”;)

Delboy99

Mare

John Virgo expects next World Snooker Championship to be the last for him and Dennis Taylor.

John Virgo believes the next World Snooker Championship will be the last for him and Dennis Taylor in the commentary box, expecting to be cut from the BBC’s coverage.
Virgo, 75, and Taylor, 72, have been voices of snooker for decades, with Virgo first commentating on the game way back in 1985 and becoming a huge television star through the ’90s thanks to gameshow Big Break.
While no decision has been confirmed by the BBC, Virgo seems sure that his next trip to the Crucible in April will be his last to work behind a microphone.
cut from the BBC’s coverage.
Virgo, 75, and Taylor, 72, have been voices of snooker for decades, with Virgo first commentating on the game way back in 1985 and becoming a huge television star through the ’90s thanks to gameshow Big Break.
While no decision has been confirmed by the BBC, Virgo seems sure that his next trip to the Crucible in April will be his last to work behind a microphone.
Speaking to the Talking Snooker podcast, Virgo said: ‘Listen, you never know what’s round the corner in life, but it looks like this will be my last season. Not my choice, theirs [the BBC]. Along with Dennis (Taylor) apparently.
‘Scoop or whatever it is, I don’t know, but that’s what we’re getting, that this will be our last season. I think that’s definite. The World Championship will be our last one. It’s not my decision, I love the game and everything else. But I understand, nothing lasts for ever, I understand that.’
The World Championship, played from 16 April-2 May, will likely represent the end of an era for two of the most significant commentators the sport has had, and Virgo says it will be hard to deal with when it comes around. ;)

The Hare

Filly
..... nice job! There seems to be an awful lot of the higher ranked players missing from this tournament, judging by your ratings. Is this a fact? Are there several not competing in this tournament The Hare The Hare ? ;)
Sorry Delboy99 these are just the Qualifiers taking place from tomorrow. The new system is the Top 16 and Scottish amateurs, (in this case) are held over until the Final tournament in Bonnie Scotland....well er Llandudno this year! Just left those games off, all the big players are entered.

Attachments

• 1632387402664.gif
    1632387402664.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0

Delboy99

Mare
Sorry Delboy99 these are just the Qualifiers taking place from tomorrow. The new system is the Top 16 and Scottish amateurs, (in this case) are held over until the Final tournament in Bonnie Scotland....well er Llandudno this year! Just left those games off, all the big players are entered.
…. I thought that there must be something wrong as there were no big names entered.Makes sense now. ;)