• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

Snooker

Delboy99

Mare
Ronnie O’Sullivan has jumped from ninth to fifth place on the one-year ranking list following his run to the final of the matchroom.live Scottish Open.
O’Sullivan lost 9-3 to Mark Selby in the final on Sunday night, but the £30,000 runner-up prize still gave him a boost up to fifth place on the list.
The top 32 on the one-year list are now competing in the matchroom World Grand Prix. Only the top 16 will qualify for the Players Championship in February, then only the top eight will go on to the Tour Championship in March.
Selby took the £70,000 top prize and remains in third place on the list, behind Judd Trump and Neil Robertson.
Jamie Jones matched his best career run by reaching the semi-finals and he’s up from 24th to tenth. Li Hang was the other losing semi-finalist and he leaps from 53rd to 16th.
As it stands, there are eight players inside the top 16 of the one-year list who are outside the top 16 of the official two-year list.
On the two-year list, Selby remains in fourth place but closes the gap to O’Sullivan in third. Li is up from 37th to 31st while Jones climbs from 80th to 71st.
The matchroom World Grand Prix is the final counting event before the seedings are determined for the BetVictor Gibraltar Open and BetVictor Shoot Out. To follow that race click here.
;)

Delboy99

Mare

Martin Gould Fight Back Stuns Mark Allen​

Martin Gould retrieved a 3-0 deficit and fought back to win the last four frames to beat Mark Allen in the World Grand Prix on Tuesday.
The latter looked a cert to reach the last 16 when he compiled breaks 142 and 82 to move to within one frame of victory.
But despite having numerous opportunities, Northern Ireland’s Allen couldn’t get over the winner line and Gould capitalised with a gutsy comeback.
The “Pinner Potter” hasn’t performed too well since reaching the final of the European Masters in September, when he narrowly lost to Mark Selby in a deciding frame.
Gould will face Lu Ning next with a quarter-final spot on offer as he attempts to get his campaign back on track.
Lu similarly recorded a 4-3 success but even more dramatic circumstances, with the UK Championship semi-finalist recovering from a snookers required position in the last frame to snatch it on the final black.
Meanwhile, world number one Judd Trump and world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan are safely through their initial hurdles – albeit under slightly contrasting circumstances.
Trump was another player who was taken the distance but compiled a timely brace of century breaks to deny Michael Holt at the very end.
O’Sullivan briefly fell behind to Ali Carter before rallying with contributions of 105, 57, and 56 to ease through with a 4-1 scoreline.
The only whitewash of the day came from Ding Junhui, who hammered Jak Jones 4-0 thanks to runs of 137, 80, and 73.
Elsewhere, top-16 members Stuart Bingham and Yan Bingtao earned hard-fought triumphs against Li Hang and David Grace respectively.
Yan’s encounter took so long to be completed that the subsequently scheduled clash between Kyren Wilson and Kurt Maflin didn’t commence until just shy of 11pm.
Championship League winner Wilson, who was involved in a car accident last week, withstood the tiredness to prevail 4-2 in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
On day three, the first round concludes with Mark Selby in action against Liang Wenbo, before the last 16 commences in the evening session.
The World Grand Prix features only the top 32 earners on the one-year list from this season, and it is the last ranking event of the 2020 calendar year. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Ronnie O'Sullivan appears to forget rules in hilarious moment during World Grand Prix win​

Ronnie O’Sullivan booked his place in the quarter-finals of the World Grand Prix in Milton Keynes despite appearing to forget the rules.
O’Sullivan beat Barry Hawkins 4-1 but only after becoming confused by referee Ben Williams’ explanation of the difference between the three-miss and free-ball laws.
The six-time world champion engaged in a sustained but light-hearted discussion with Williams which concluded with him asking: “Are you sure they’re the rules?”
Williams stuck to his guns and was backed up by match supervisor and former world final referee Leo Scullion.
O’Sullivan made a century and three half-century breaks during the win and will next face Kyren Wilson.
Judd Trump insisted he does not get the credit he deserves after edging past Stuart Bingham to reach the last eight.
The world number one capitalised on a mistake by Bingham in the final frame to clinch a 4-3 win and keep alive his hopes of reaching his fifth ranking event final of the season.
Trump told World Snooker Tour’s official website: “I don’t know anyone who’s had a start to the season like I’ve had – I think if it was someone else it would be a lot more publicised. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Judd Trump does not feel that his superb run of results has got the recognition it deserves, but he has the chance to earn more respect when he faces Ronnie O’Sullivan at the World Grand Prix on Friday night. The world number one comfortably saw off Martin Gould 5-2 on Thursday to set up the blockbuster semi-final with the Rocket. Trump has now reached at least the semi-finals of seven out of eight tournaments this season, only falling short at last week’s Scottish Open when he was beaten in the quarters. There is little question that the 31-year-old is the finest player on the planet, but he doesn’t feel that his stellar achievements have been recognised as much as they should be.
With the English and Northern Ireland Opens already under his belt this season, he has already achieved more than most will over the entire campaign, or even an entire career, but he doesn’t feel it has made enough headlines. ‘I don’t know anyone who has ever had a start to a season like I have and not really much gets mentioned,’ Trump said. ‘If it was someone else, it would be a lot more publicised. ‘For me, I’m very proud of how I’ve started the season and a lot of the top players probably outside of the top four would take the season I’ve had already. And I’ve still got a handful of events left this season.
‘It’s been an incredible season so far and I’m just trying to live up to the standards I set in the last couple of years. At the moment, I’m doing that.’ Trump is looking to win the Grand Prix for a third time, having lifted the title in 2015 and 2019 and after completing a hat-trick of Northern Ireland Open wins this year, he feels that certain events seem to suit him. ‘I seem to be getting tournaments that I really play well in and this has always been one of them for some reason,’ he said. ‘It’s got a new spot this year before Christmas so hopefully I can go out with a bang. ‘I seem to be playing some good solid stuff and hopefully that can continue for the rest of the tournament.’ ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Trump very good tonight, fulfilling all the promise of youth.
..... I'm afraid Ronnie is not dedicated enough these days, does not care whether he wins or losers. The hunger to win has gone, whether this is temporary or permanent will clearly be seen in future events. Trump on the other hand is full of confidence and expects to win every time he hits the table. He is clearly a born winner without being the true genius that Ronnie was at his height, but very good with the cue ball and his positional play. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
RONNIE O'SULLIVAN REACTS TO HEAVY JUDD TRUMP LOSS AT WORLD GRAND PRIX.

Ronnie O’Sullivan says Neil Robertson is the only player that can compete with Judd Trump at the moment, after the Rocket was thrashed 6-1 by the world number one at the World Grand Prix on Friday night. Trump was in fantastic form as he knocked in two centures (107 and 100) and three half-centuries en route to the comfortable victory. The Rocket won the fourth frame with a break of 71 but that was his only success in the one-sided contest. The world number one will now face either Mark Selby or Jack Lisowski in Sunday’s final while O’Sullivan’s search for a first tournament win since the World Championship continues.
The world champion admits that he cannot compete with Trump at the moment, unless he is at his very best, which he has not been this week in Milton Keynes. ‘The way Judd is playing at the moment, you have to bring your A game to have a chance,’ said O’Sullivan. ‘If you don’t, you can get beaten very heavily. ‘He is cleaning up, the only player who can give him a game is Neil Robertson.
‘Those two and Mark Selby will win the majority of the tournaments this season.’ Trump, Selby and Robertson have all won ranking events so far this season and O’Sullivan is right that they are the three dominant forces in the game right now. Robertson suffered a shock early loss to Robert Milkins this week and Trump expects to be facing Selby in the final, rather than his good friend Lisowski.
‘Obviously, Mark Selby is the favourite to win that,’ said the world number one. ‘He looks back to his absolute best, when he was dominating the game for four years. ‘I think Mark is probably the game that I’d like to test myself against, just to see where I’m at against him. ‘We’ve both won a couple of events, both playing brilliant snooker and that would be a brilliant game. But if Jack wins, I’d be more than happy for him to get through and it should be an excellent final against him as well.’ ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Jack Lisowski held off a stirring fightback from Mark Selby to reach the final of the World Grand Prix.
Lisowski, 29, was 5-1 up following a number of half-century breaks before Selby won three consecutive frames, including a break of 143 in frame seven - the highest of the tournament so far.
But world number 15 Lisowski pounced on a Selby mistake in the 10th frame to beat the three-time world champion 6-4.
Lisowski faces world number one Judd Trump in the final in Milton Keynes.
Trump, 31, thrashed Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-1 in the other semi-final. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Jack Lisowski believes that Judd Trump is potentially playing the best snooker ever after the world No 1 capped his fine 2020 by winning the World Grand Prix.
The 2019 world champion has won six titles in 2020 and lost two other finals. Since the restart of the sport following the Covid-19 pandemic, he has reached five finals and claimed the trophy three times.
After trailing Trump 6-2 after the afternoon session's play, Lisowski played some fine snooker to mount a comeback which had looked unlikely, making breaks of at least 50 in seven straight frames, but could not do enough to beat his close friend.
"It wasn't looking good for me after the first session and I just wanted to make a game of it tonight and then everything started going in," he said after the match.
"I could sense that I was putting Judd under a bit of pressure. I lost two or three frames from 50 or 60 up tonight as well.
"It's been an amazing week for me. I just want to thank everyone on Instagram on Twitter, the amount of nice messages I've had from people, I've never had anything like that.
"Congratulations to Judd. I played my best against you tonight but you still just stood up, that big clearance that was ridiculous so well done." ;)

Delboy99

Mare

Judd Trump captures World Grand Prix title for second time in three editions​

Judd Trump seals 10-7 victory to win World Grand Prix and become only the sixth player in snooker history to win 20 ranking titles; "I've just got to keep trying to play at this level, keep the ambition, the hunger, the enjoyment and hopefully more success will come," said the world No 1​

Judd Trump withstood a fightback from the resilient Jack Lisowski to capture the World Grand Prix title for the second time in three editions in Milton Keynes.

Trump won six of the eight frames in the first session of Sunday's final and then extended his lead to 7-2 before his opponent closed the gap courtesy of breaks of 99, 112, 87 and 95 at the Marshall Arena.

A break of 57 stopped the rot and thereafter Trump was able to regain some fluency, the world No 1 closing out a 10-7 victory to become only the sixth player in snooker history to win 20 ranking titles.
"It was an extremely good game in the end, Jack made it very hard for me and played some of the best snooker I've ever seen," Trump said in a video posted on World Snooker's Twitter account.

"Everything he looked at was going in which put me under a lot of pressure. In the end I had to make a couple of really good clearances.
"It was super tough in the end but it was an enjoyable game, we both played to a very high standard, I thought." ;)

Delboy99

Mare

World Snooker Tour latest world rankings​

• 1 Judd Trump £1,854,500
  • 2 Neil Robertson £1,040,500
  • 3 Ronnie O'Sullivan £974,500
  • 4 Mark Selby £734,500
  • 5 Kyren Wilson £645,000
  • 6 John Higgins £508,500
  • 7 Shaun Murphy £468,500
  • 8 Stephen Maguire £421,500
  • 9 Ding Junhui £402,250
  • 10 Mark Allen £335,500 ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Judd Trump may have beaten Jack Lisowski in Sunday’s World Grand Prix final, but he compared the runner-up’s performance to that of snooker legends Ronnie O’Sullivan and John Higgins. Trump beat his good pal 10-7 in Milton Keynes in a superb contest, which saw the world number one open up a substantial lead, but the underdog fight back with an incredible display of quality in the second session. Liswoski found himself 7-2 and seemingly in a hopeless position, but then reeled off breaks of 99, 112, 87 and 95 to win the next four frames on the spin. The Juddernaut stopped the rot with an excellent break of 57 in the next and eventually got over the line, but Jackpot had made a seemingly one-sided game an almighty scrap thanks to his relentless break-building, which saw Trump score just nine points in four frames.
Judd believes only O’Sullivan and Higgins has played like that against him in the past and expects big things from his pal after proving his quality on the big stage. ‘If he carries on playing to that kind of standard, I’ve no doubt he’ll be in the top four, top five at no time,’ Trump told WST. He added to ITV: ‘In the end it was an amazing game, I can’t actually remember missing a ball tonight. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
The German Masters has been moved from Berlin's Tempodrom to the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes next month due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
The Shoot Out and the new WST Pro Series will also be staged behind closed doors after the invitational Masters tournament takes place without any fans at the Alexandra Palace in London between 10-17 January. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
The widow and children of snooker ace Willie Thorne are locked in a dispute over his ashes and his favourite cue.
His second wife Jill Thorne, 60, a former Miss Great Britain, wants to auction the cue for Willie’s favourite cancer charity.
But his children from his first marriage, twins Tristan and Kieran, 35, and daughter Tahli, 32, want it to “remain in the family”.
Jill said that after Willie died in June in Spain aged 66 she wanted to hold a memorial in the UK then scatter his ashes.
But his kids brought home his ashes after the funeral close to Torrevieja, near his home on the Costa Blanc.
Jill split from Willie last year after returning to England with a severe chest infection and was unable to attend his funeral. The mum said: “It was hurtful that we had no ashes.
“We don’t know if they have been scattered, buried or what, which is quite sad.” She added: “I was next of kin. When he became very ill, he passed away very quickly.
“We would speak every day on the phone, he said he wanted me to have the cue.
“He wanted his son to deal with his financial affairs only after his death, as he didn’t want me to cope with his debts any more. He wanted me fully involved with everything else and I agreed.
“We loved each other unconditionally to the end.” She believes his ashes may have been scattered in Norfolk.
Her plan is to auction the cue for the charity 20-20 Voice Cancer. Willie became its patron following the death of his brother Malcolm to throat cancer.
Jill, of Stoke Golding, Leics, said: “His children said they wanted the cue back which I understand, but he had bequeathed it to me.”
She said Willie would be “mortified” if he knew about the dispute over the cue, adding: “He would love it being sold off for charity.”
Willie, who lost around £3.5million during his career because of his addiction to gambling, died from sepsis after being diagnosed with leukaemia in March.
Fans raised £20,000 to help pay for his care after he was declared bankrupt four years ago.Speech and language therapist Jill, who won Miss Great Britain in 1985, met Willie, who was from Leicestershire, when she worked in the players’ lounge at the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield in 1992.
She said of Willie: “He had a heart of gold, there was a great side to him. But it was gambling he could never beat.”
Willie’s first wife Fiona said: “There is some controversy as we wanted the cue to remain in the family.
“Willie was emphatic he wanted Tristan and not Jill to look after his affairs when he died, and there are several witnesses to that. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Victory for Judd Trump at the World Grand Prix last weekend represented his third ranking title success of the 2020/21 season to date and the sixth of what has been a record-breaking year for the world number one.

But following his win against Stuart Bingham at the last 16 stage of the tournament, Trump suggested that his achievements during the first half of this campaign had not received the coverage that they have merited:

“I don’t know anyone who has ever had a start to a season like I have and not really much gets mentioned,” said Trump. “If it was someone else, it would be a lot more publicised.

“For me, I’m very proud of how I’ve started the season and a lot of the top players probably outside of the top four would take the season I’ve had already. And I’ve still got a handful of events left this season.

“It’s been an incredible season so far and I’m just trying to live up to the standards I set in the last couple of years. At the moment, I’m doing that.”

Does he have a point? Our own Matt Huart considers how Trump has been able to translate his prodigious talent to tour domination and just how his achievements measure up against the great champions of our sport past and present…

A prolific winner at junior level, Trump first turned professional as a 16-year-old in 2005, but despite success in events such as the Championship League and Masters qualifying tournaments, it was not until 2011 that he would truly announce himself as an elite player on the World Snooker Tour.

Ranking titles at that year’s China Open and UK Championship, either side of a memorable run to the World Championship final at the Crucible Theatre, heralded the arrival of a new star on the baize. It was not only the silverware, but the swashbuckling style of play – later dubbed ‘naughty snooker’ – that felt like such a breath of fresh air at the turn of the decade.

He would remain a consistent winner, adding a further six ranking titles and remaining firmly ranked inside of the world’s top eight. Since the start of the 2008/9 season, he has still never finished lower than sixth on the list of century break makers per season and has topped the list on four occasions.

But with expectations high and a maiden world title continuing to elude him, accusations of underachievement, coupled with the rise of countryman Kyren Wilson, who notably defeated Trump on four occasions in 2018, led some to doubt whether the Bristolian would be able to truly fulfil his undoubted potential at the highest level.
At the start of the 2018/19 season, Trump sought the help of his younger brother Jack to travel on tour and work with him on the practice table. The decision would prove to be a masterstroke, with Jack handed the responsibility of devising routines to sharpen Judd’s all-round game, as well as satisfy his insatiable desire to pot balls.

Undoubtedly a key factor in what has followed since, this also followed Trump’s decision a year prior to undergo laser eye surgery for a condition that unbeknownst to many, had dogged him for much of his professional career. Trump has also credited this as being a major factor in his subsequent success.

Following a title drought stretching back over a year, the stars aligned for Trump at the 2018 Northern Ireland Open in Belfast. His 9-7 final victory against Ronnie O’Sullivan that November is now often cited as a key turning point in his career and indeed Trump’s own quotes post-match now seem prescient given what would follow:

“I think that’s my best win. After the year I’ve had and the criticism from other people, it feels nice to go out there and play like that. It’s nice to shut them up for a bit.

“Everyone was in the tournament, I had no easy draws and to beat Ronnie in the final is extra special.

“I’ve been feeling very sharp and this week it all came together. Hopefully this can give me the confidence to carry on.”

And carry on Trump would. Two months later he would win the invitational Masters event for the first time with an emphatic 10-4 triumph against O’Sullivan, before rounding off the season by claiming his elusive first world title with an 18-9 triumph against old foe John Higgins.

While representing the fulfilment of a lifelong dream, his Crucible success would prove to be the tip of the ranking event iceberg. ;)

Delboy99

Mare

The end-of-year review on SHQ continues with a look back at the best player.

He may not have won one of the traditional big three titles, but there can only be one 2020 Player of the Year – Judd Trump.
For the second year in a row, the “Ace” has stood firmly above the chasing pack with his relentless pursuit of titles showing few signs of letting up.
Indeed, there were similarities between his efforts on the baize this year and with his stellar exploits from 2019.
In both, he captured six titles and dominated the circuit to cement his place at the top of the world rankings list.
There were obvious disappointments in 2020, notably his first-round exit in the Masters before additionally succumbing to the “Curse of the Crucible” at the quarter-final stage of the World Snooker Championship.
Who knows what impact the latter’s postponement had on his chances, considering Trump had just won a record sixth ranking title of a single season with victory in Gibraltar just as the world was heading into a widespread lockdown in March.
However, the 31 year-old rarely let any poor performances affect him, instead dusting those off as merely bad days at the office and moving straight on to the next tournament full of renewed ambition.
Inevitably, it wouldn’t be too long until he was back in the business end of a competition, and out of the 16 ranking events that were staged in 2020, Trump reached the final exactly half of the time.
Triumphs duly came in the German Masters, Players Championship, Gibraltar Open, English Open, Northern Ireland Open, and at last week’s World Grand Prix. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
When you think of classic Wembley occasions involving Scotland, you would normally envisage the Tartan Army rocking up to take on the ‘Auld Enemy’ England. However, on February 13th 1994, the old Wembley Conference Centre, hosted an all-Scottish affair which truly captured the imagination.
At the time, Stephen Hendry appeared to be unbeatable at Wembley. The legendary cueist had yet to lose a match at the venue, since making his debut in 1989. He became seemingly invincible in London, clocking up five consecutive Masters titles and winning 23 matches in a row, on his way to the 1994 final.
Alan McManus had turned professional four years previously, and having won the Masters qualifying event in his first season, he had appeared at Wembley twice prior to his 1994 victory. In 1993 he reached the semi-final stage, but was denied a place in the final by Hendry, losing 6-4.
Their showpiece clash 12 months later provided tension befitting of such a big occasion. McManus trailed 8-7, before winning a tightly contested 16th frame to force a decider. In the end he produced a typically gutsy break of 76 to snatch the title and secure what would prove to be the biggest win of his career to date. Looking back, McManus admits that an incident in that 16th frame proved to be a motivational catalyst.

The Glaswegian said: “I had snookered him at 8-7 down. He got out of it and fluked the snooker back. I looked over to him and there was a wee grin on his face. It wasn’t a bad thing, but it was the sort of grin that said, ‘I’m going to win now’. I thought to myself, ‘no you are not’. It annoyed me. That perked me up and I got a bit angry. I left the arena before the decider to compose myself. You were sort of down in a dungeon in the old Conference Centre and you would emerge at the top of the stairs to a huge crowd. When I came out it was noisy. All I can remember was the noise. I realised this was a big moment.
“I definitely sensed the crowd wanted me to win. It was quite apparent that they didn’t want Stephen to win it again. Looking back, I think that helped me. It was a bit like a football game. You could really feel the vibe there. I played Steve Davis once and they were calling me a sweaty sock. I couldn’t bite my tongue and I said something to the crowd during the match. It was that sort of place. Very intense. When I played Stephen, I think the fact there were two Scotsmen in the final, with Wembley Stadium just down the road, was pretty cool. The Conference Centre was an amazing place to be.
“To beat Stephen made it more special I suppose. How do you win that event five times in a row? Not just that, but your first five times ever playing in the event? People don’t appreciate what a phenomenal record that was, because it happened so long ago.”
For Hendry the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow. The run was never going to last his whole career, but for it to be ended in a deciding frame was particularly gut-wrenching. He admitted in his autobiography Me and the Table that losing hadn’t even entered his mind.
Hendry wrote: “It’s a hell of a scrap and I fight all the way in hope of gaining a sixth consecutive title. I feel I own this event; having won it so often it truly belongs to me. But this time it’s not to be and I’m nothing less than devastated. I concede in the deciding frame and I’m completely gutted to see Alan holding the trophy this year. The look on our faces say it all; neither of us can believe it’s happened.” ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Ronnie O’Sullivan has given himself ‘three or four years maximum’ competing on the main snooker tour, before he plans to create different events for players who are slightly past their peak. The Rocket is the reigning world champion and remains the sport’s biggest star, but feels his time at the top is coming to an end. The 45-year-old can clearly still compete at the elite level, as he proved at the Crucible this summer, but he is feeling the strain of the relentless snooker calendar and does not expect to keep up a packed schedule for much longer. From 16 November to 20 December this year, four tournaments were played without a day between each of them, highlighting just how busy players’ diaries have become.
O’Sullivan says he can’t and won’t keep up with this schedule into his 50s, despite wanting to keep playing the game that he loves, so he has come up with a plan. The six-time world champion wants to assemble a few players at similar stages of their careers and put together a set of events away from the main tour for ageing greats of the game in a bid to keep the competitive juices flowing. ‘I’ve accepted I’ve got another three or four years maximum of playing top level snooker,’ O’Sullivan told Metro.co.uk. ‘I don’t want to play much longer than that, so the next three years I just want to enjoy with an eye on playing on a tour that is maybe a bit more suited to how much I want to play. So I can compete but I’m not going to be a slave to playing tournament after tournament. ;)

Delboy99

Mare
Barry Hearn, Chairman of the World Snooker Tour, has been awarded an OBE in the New Year’s Honours for his services to sport.
The award comes as recognition of Hearn’s achievements in sports promotion over more than 40 years.

Barry inducted into the Snooker Hall of Fame in 2018, joined by his friend Steve Davis
The 72-year-old Londoner has been involved in snooker since the 1970s, initially as manager of Steve Davis who went on to dominate the sport throughout the 1980s. Hearn formed the Matchroom stable of players, which also included stars Jimmy White, Dennis Taylor, Willie Thorne, Cliff Thorburn, Neal Foulds, Tony Meo and Terry Griffiths.
In 2010, Hearn was elected Chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association – the sport’s governing body – and subsequently of its commercial arm the World Snooker Tour.
At the time, snooker was at its lowest ebb for 40 years, with just six ranking events on the calendar and total prize money of £3.5 million.
Over the decade that followed, Hearn led a global revolution of the sport. The number of tournaments grew to over 25, with total prize money increasing to £15 million. Events have been staged in over 20 countries worldwide, while snooker’s global television audience has grown to a massive 500 million fans. The professional tour now has 128 players from 21 different countries and regions.
Despite the challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic, this year there have been 20 tournaments, providing earning opportunities for the players and high quality live sport for viewers around the world. In July, snooker’s World Championship was the first UK indoor sporting event to safely welcome a crowd, following the national lockdown.
Hearn was inducted into the Snooker Hall of Fame in 2018.

Barry talking to a group of journalists at the Masters
He has enjoyed similar success with the Professional Darts Corporation, Matchroom Boxing and a wide range of other sports. Hearn was Chairman of Leyton Orient Football Club from 1995 to 2014, and is still President of the club.
He is Chairman of Matchroom Sport, one of the world’s leading sports promotion companies. In 2019, Matchroom staged a total of over 650 event days globally.
For 38 years, Matchroom Sport has donated millions of pounds to a wide-range of charities, including sports and community charities, and hospices for both children and adults.
In 2016 the Matchroom Sport Charitable Foundation was established and oversees funding to a number of charities, foundations and hospices across the UK. ;)