• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Scraping Utility for Those New to Scraping

Dim as object now runs but now fails with runtime error 70 Permission Denied error on this line

racename = oHTMLdoc.all.tags("table").Item(1).Rows(0).Cells(0).innerText

in pfGoing

Similar issue with oTable as HTMLtable perhaps.

Attached version has all HTML refs as Objects.

Attachments

• PForm_scraper_v1.xlsm
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
Bet you wish you never started this Kev!

• Call fClick(oHTMLdoc, "Reset")
    racename = oHTMLdoc.all.tags("table").Item(1).Rows(0).Cells(0).innerText
    If i = 1 Then Sheets(sSheet).Cells(irow + 1, 1) = racename: Sheets(sSheet).Cells(irow + 1, 1).Font.Bold = True
    oHTMLdoc.getElementsByName("weeks")(0).Value = lookback
    oHTMLdoc.getElementsByName("going")(0).Value = optval
    Call fClick(oHTMLdoc, "Re-run")

Fails on the line in read with runtime error 70 permission denied

Changing oHTMLdoc.all.tags to oHTMLdoc.body.all.tags seems to get it running.

Just waiting for it to complete.

is this still in pfGoing ?

I'm trying to recreate the error but not having much luck. Every version I have sent works without issue on my pc.

The 'permission denied' error suggests that the oIE object may already be in use.

Can you check there are no IExplore.exe sessions still running and then try again.

One project im working on is to create a webscraper in Python ............ it could be this time ext year when i crack it or it could be next month ..... its taking me a while to get into the groove of python programming!

When its done i'll load it up and see what you boys think.

I'm going to try, I have it installed and can get bs4 to run ... That's as far as I have got. Have a 5 month old so don't get much time these days on an evening after work

Tarball ... Think it's to do with a download.

I have a very basic python bot which I got off the net. It's helpful to read the code but I have been told a secret about bf api so I have been advised to learn python first a not the api calls etc. something to do with Json and python??

I wasn't far off :)

Do you have experience with BS4, got anymore advice?

Unfortunately I'm an accountant rather than a programmer so it completely new to me but I would like to learn the language.

Reading this post on scraping has re-ignited my interest in Visual Basic.

I have just installed Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate along with the add-on Devexpress Universal which comes with Coderush,
now I have all the gear but still no idea :minigun:

I started back at the beginning my writing the compulsory "Hello World" statement using the console application and then used the refactor
tool in Coderush to re-write the code and it worked :cool:

This time next year I might be able to tie my own shoelaces up :lol:

If you have any questions then start a new thread in the Geeks section and I'm sure someone will be able to help out.

Back