• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Saint or Sinner

Barney was a character and current times racing has few. One story i heard was that he " acquired " details of a leading bookmakers VIP customers all big punters and substantial losers, and he contacted some asking to use there accounts. If this is correct it is a nice thought to imagine what then occurred in the trade room.

I do not think he was the punters friend but he was certainly the bookmakers enemy and of the many who try few will leave this legacy, so well done Barney and may you RIP.

Barney was trained in bookmaking, as his father was a bookie (at the dogs) who went bust. That led to the two of them going off to Manchester and working in a factory, till they had enough money to sort out the debt.
Barney's education was very good ( Jesuit school, I think) and, when he got ill and was in the sanatorium, he used the time to study up on ways to win at racing.
I don't really think punters have many friends, and, he was extremely tough on any in his stable who let out info, which could foil plans.

I am a bit late in offering my condolences, RIP Barney.

Just been reading about Yellow Sam, it was well before my time but makes for fascinating reading how he pulled it off, what I found most interesting was how even the jockey had no idea what was going on.

Back