• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

Profit and Expectations

mick

Sire
I assume most will be in this to at least not lose whilst learning - what are your aims and expectations for the future
Looking back one of the hardest lessons i had to accept is that i had to learn how to lose as part of the winning. We all like to crow a little when things are going well and within reason there is little wrong with this, but as you know i never conceal or conveniently forget when the opposite is occurring. You can kid yourself and should you feel the need you may even be able to kid others, but you will never kid your bank statements.

The down draws or negative corrections can be miserable periods but i have learned to accept them as part of the price. My future aim ? several answers come to mind but a concise one would be " to stay in the game" and as ever seek to increase my knowledge.

Jimbo

Filly
When I worked for an off course bookmaker years ago he was quite happy with 8-10% profit on turnover after all expenses so I think that would be a fair enough target.

mick

Sire
When I worked for an off course bookmaker years ago he was quite happy with 8-10% profit on turnover after all expenses so I think that would be a fair enough target.
My understanding is that for a backer then a 10% Roi is the benchmark which in proper talk = an avg £100 profit for every £1000 bet. A lot of punters might dismiss this as to little but i wonder what percentage of them have actually achieved this in the long term. ?

Jimbo

Filly
My understanding is that for a backer then a 10% Roi is the benchmark which in proper talk = an avg £100 profit for every £1000 bet. A lot of punters might dismiss this as to little but i wonder what percentage of them have actually achieved this in the long term. ?
Very few I'd say sure we've all heard the lads who say " Ah I got out on the last ", most of the time they don't !

mick

Sire
I suspect that at some point most backers will need to ask themselves am i punting for fun or profit. ? If its the former then imo nothing wrong with this except that its long odds on that you will be paying for said " fun". If the latter is chosen then acquiring a different mind set and disciplines will be a need. Most of these are not fun but definitely part of the price.

I can see the temptation to chase losses and this would be a good example, because the Bookmakers will like those who do. The opposite is just as bad, gearing up to fast during a purple patch. Apologies if i am preaching to the converted but best not to find out the hard way.? :eek:

markfinn

Sire
mick mick good post - gearing is crucial - how many times do we fall prey to exuberance after a decent win or period - all down to having a plan and seeing out the period without breaking the rules.

markfinn

Sire
For myself just the once > 30 yrs ago but it was a big once. :eek:
I have frequented that particular well more than once - not in a big way to often to have learnt my lesson - its amazing as soon as you up stakes the or tip one you carefully regulated idea often blows up your face - the idea that we have to lose in order to win is as you say is one of, if not the hardest part of this to explain or justify .

Last edited:

dave58

Administrator
I assume most will be in this to at least not lose whilst learning - what are your aims and expectations for the future
Aims - to find the system to end all systems, high strike rate and mega roi.

Expectations - mine will keep chugging on as per usual, but there are always some new angles to investigate from the many brilliant minds on here - sometimes I think how lucky we are to be part of a place with people who are not only original thinkers but are also willing to share their ideas with others.

I may sound like an old git here but for a while I did use fairly large (for me) stakes. Whilst I thankfully came out with a positive result I don't think it did much for my health, so whilst I sneakily admire those who make nice big profits out of the game, I am now quite happy making a few quid here and there so that we can continue to enjoy our life here in the sun.

Larry

Mare
I probably break every rule going when it comes to profit & expectations, I bet very irregularly & when I do I'm not a big bettor. I have a bank each month & when that goes I pack up for the month(I think the bank has gone less than 5 times in the last 10 years), but when I do bet I often do the dreaded multiples & if I have a decent return instead of putting it in my bank I buy something with it eg a new TV or laptop etc I've even managed a Caribbean holiday from a decent sized win.
So if for example I have a 200pt bank if at the end of the month its gone down to 30pts next month I top back up to 200pts so most I can lose in a year is 2400pts, I dont keep extensive records but seeing all my betting nowadays is online its very easy to keep track of profit & loss. I'd love to have 1% of the knowledge of most on here but somehow I bumble through without putting myself or my daughter in financial peril. My expectation is to have fun but don't expect to retire from my gambling gains

Graeme

Dam
Interesting thread and responses so far - something I have been thinking about for some time and keep changing my mind over what expectations I do have! (Needless to say her indoors has different expectations :) )

For me ROI is undoubtedly King as I have said elsewhere but what does that mean and longer term where do I want to be? Well I am in my 50s, and don't really want to be working more then another 5-7 years absolute tops - and stop or partly stop much earlier if only I can manage it.

Courtesy of the Gov I have to wait a bit longer for my State Pension but will have a private one which will take care of day to day expenditures etc so really it will be all about getting some surplus income and quality of life for me and she who must be obeyed and our extended families.

I like the horses more than any other sport - but it has many challenges to face in making any sort of living from consistently over time due to inevitable losing runs and drawdowns etc. I would be lucky enough to not worry about swings and roundabouts I guess but that doesn't stop me wanting to find ways of dealing with that. I run a thread in the Blog which currently runs at 10% ROI give or take but I am constantly looking for ways to generate more methods of working, automated or manual.

I think my approach will be multi-faceted over time and have several strings to the bow. For me a race a day with large stakes to get the ROI is fraught with danger and doesn't float my boat. I love the intellectual thrill of the case and the stats behind my choices are a major interest to me as the Blog members will know.

I have also dabbled in match betting and trading and I think when I have a full time experience it will undoubtedly encompass all of these things. At the moment I bet for fun and the challenge - come retirement I will bet for a level of income and expect to enter the fray often in a day, sometimes taking small edges and profit, and sometimes going for larger wins - whatever it will be hard work and I think anyone that aspires to bet for anything other than fun must treat the backing as a form of business, plan well, resource well and execute well.

markfinn

Sire
For me a race a day
and yet with all we know it is still almost impossible to find one every day G, that you could be confident about having a good stake on - that is probably the the main thing I have learnt from here - the time needs to spent on racing and its possible to give many the time required.

Great Expectations for me in this case would be one a day - perfect

Last edited:

footysystems

Gelding
For me the time put to make a decent return on my investment.... this is much harder these days on football these bookmakers and exchanges are much cleverer than they were 5 years or so ago when it was taking candy off a baby, its staying one step ahead of them... for those who have read the inplayking thread ?? this what i hope to do going forward.

mick

Sire
The Bookmakers who have prospered did so because they started with and worked to a clinical business plan, and us punters have similar options. One aspect of mine which has proved handy over many years is that all of my betting capital is kept with a different Bank and i have a standing order for them to pay a fixed monthly sum into my account with my main bankers.

This monthly earn regardless of results helps the head as well as the wallet during the losing periods when its easy to start thinking i am wasting my time. When i enjoy an extra good year it also helps not going OTT Re spending too much on things i do not really want or need.!

So i can honestly say that i get paid even when i am getting it wrong at least in the past and at present. Of course the obvious downside is the future because the constant monkey on the back is that it could all go seriously tits up with a worst case occurrence of running out of money to pay myself. Realistically this could occur and this is also accepted as another part of the price.!

pawras

Colt
My betting money is very separate from my normal money.

My expectations are usually better than actuals during a year but profit is profit.

I've done some interesting what if analysis to show how, if you do a reasonable volume, just a small increase in avg win odds can massively impact the profit over the year. And how that can be magnified depending upon the staking plan.
Fairly obvious I know but seeing the figures in b/w really smacks you in the face.

As such I'm becoming even more 'price sensitive' than before and pondering on how to improve on that.

Pity I didn't know 10 years ago what I know now but hey ho.

Last edited: