• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Premier League

While i can fully appreciate that some players feel unsafe about coming back to play why wouldn't they just accept what everybody else in similar situation finds themselves and simply furlough until things change, can't help but think it's one rule for them and another rule for the rest of us.

Why do you think they are being treated differently?
Well as far as i understand most div 1 & 2 have either furloughed their players or come to some arrangement for similar pay schemes, anyone who can't play football through covid 19 ought to be furloughed, i would have thought most of the staff would have fallen into that catergory but i'm happy to be corrected.

What has div 1&2 got to do with your thread title ie the Prem League?
As far as I know no players in the prem have been furloughed.

I can't see what point you are trying to make?

If a player refuses to play I would expect that the club would have a right not to pay them.

What has div 1&2 got to do with your thread title ie the Prem League?
As far as I know no players in the prem have been furloughed.

I can't see what point you are trying to make?

If a player refuses to play I would expect that the club would have a right not to pay them.
Well i was seeking to make the point that the rich PL clubs, players or staff are no different from anyone else and therefore if they can't play or do the job they are paid to do then shouldn't they be treated the same ?

If the title of the thread is misleading i would be happy for it to be re-worded or deleted.

Well as far as i understand most div 1 & 2 have either furloughed their players or come to some arrangement for similar pay schemes, anyone who can't play football through covid 19 ought to be furloughed, i would have thought most of the staff would have fallen into that catergory but i'm happy to be corrected.
My team (Coventry) have furloughed the players but are making the remainder up to ensure the players are receiving full pay :handgestures-thumbup:

My team (Coventry) have furloughed the players but are making the remainder up to ensure the players are receiving full pay :handgestures-thumbup:
Hopefully coventry will be promoted and a sensible way forward will be found, going forward do coventry have the crowds to survive in the championship ? that is if crowds are allowed back into the ground.

Hopefully coventry will be promoted and a sensible way forward will be found, going forward do coventry have the crowds to survive in the championship ? that is if crowds are allowed back into the ground.
They are playing this season at Birmingham's ground ( costs £100k rent per match) I won't go into the lengthy explaination about the Ricoh Arena saga and the "cuckoo" rugby club Wasps but if we get promoted and return to the Ricoh in the Championship the club would get 20,000 + per home game with ease Tacker....by the way you may not be aware but Coventry (although in league one) have the 5th highest average away support in England.

They are playing this season at Birmingham's ground ( costs £100k rent per match) I won't go into the lengthy explaination about the Ricoh Arena saga and the "cuckoo" rugby club Wasps but if we get promoted and return to the Ricoh in the Championship the club would get 20,000 + per home game with ease Tacker....by the way you may not be aware but Coventry (although in league one) have the 5th highest average away support in England.
I didn't know any of that and because we are used to seeing PL numbers in the millions perhaps we forget that ordinary football clubs are small businesses trying to survive, my memory of your team was they had a few tricks up their sleaves when it came to free kicks.

I didn't know any of that and because we are used to seeing PL numbers in the millions perhaps we forget that ordinary football clubs are small businesses trying to survive, my memory of your team was they had a few tricks up their sleaves when it came to free kicks.
They have won two Wembley finals in the last 3 years Tacker,took 40k plus supporters to both finals,I would say Sheff utd's best player came to your club from Coventry.

Well i was seeking to make the point that the rich PL clubs, players or staff are no different from anyone else and therefore if they can't play or do the job they are paid to do then shouldn't they be treated the same ?
Are you saying that prem league players should be furloughed because they can't play? Did you see the furore when Spurs furloughed their backroom staff? They had to go back on their claim for the govt to pay their staff wages when it was pointed out the prem clubs earn fortunes and that the furlough scheme was not intended for super rich companies?

They have won two Wembley finals in the last 3 years Tacker,took 40k plus supporters to both finals,I would say Sheff utd's best player came to your club from Coventry.
To be honest i hadn't noticed either win but it reminds us that they are still a big club and will be a force to be recond with when and if football gets back to normal. John Fleck is a joy to watch on his best days presuming that's who you mean.

To be honest i hadn't noticed either win but it reminds us that they are still a big club and will be a force to be recond with when and if football gets back to normal. John Fleck is a joy to watch on his best days presuming that's who you mean.
Yes Tacker I did mean John Fleck,very good player,was sorry to see him leave,he went for free because he played his contract out,swings & roundabouts though because we nicked him from Rangers for nowt.

Are you saying that prem league players should be furloughed because they can't play? Did you see the furore when Spurs furloughed their backroom staff? They had to go back on their claim for the govt to pay their staff wages when it was pointed out the prem clubs earn fortunes and that the furlough scheme was not intended for super rich companies?
On your first question i would answer yes.
Your second point being about spurs backroom staff ? well they were entitled to do just thst under the rules, then we're into the morals of the argument and personally businesses and individuals who can clearly afford to finance these things themselves have a moral duty to do so but thats just my opinion. What do you think ArkRoyal ArkRoyal ?

I think that if you can afford to pay your staff then you should and not take handouts from the Government. In other words the opposite of what I
think you are saying in your first post, although as you can probably tell from the number of questions I have asked I'm not 100% sure of the point you were trying to make,.

I think that if you can afford to pay your staff then you should and not take handouts from the Government. In other words the opposite of what I
think you are saying in your first post, although as you can probably tell from the number of questions I have asked I'm not 100% sure of the point you were trying to make,.
In a attempt to cut through all the confusion i will make it clear that anyone who for whatever reason can't do their job should be furloughed, what that then means they can recieve up to £7500 for a period of about 13 weeks, at the same time i think if football clubs decide to keep paying these players most of their wages, well that's up to them but one or two clubs were wanting to furlough staff paid for by the gov/us at the same time and i'm with many others that think it doesn't fit right from a morale point of view. In conclusion any footballer who chooses not to play will be relying on the good will of their clubs, fans and common decency if they want to be paid full wages to sit at home.

Back