• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Odds to runner ratio

Its useful in its own right David Punshon David Punshon and several of us do use it but trying to insert it into a rating will most probably just ruin your rating.

As a rule of thumb it is better to keep the number of items in your ratings to a minimum and just have more ratings, then use your experience and judgement about what is important in this race.

Last edited:
Yes I have used it for a good time now and it is incorporated in to a good proportion of my HRB systems. I suspect you are right regarding the ratings

Good idea David Punshon David Punshon but what I really meant was to pick out a trainer, focus on what that trainer is good at, then look at the distribution of the ratio. That way you might find something useful but you also don't limit yourself to looking in the 0-1 category You always have to remember that its about profit and not s/r.

I haven't done this but I have the feeling that you would get more bang for your buck if you concentrated on the trainer angle

I find that the way i use HRB, the odds to runner stat is not one that fits in on a regular basis for some reason.

Arkle

You always have to remember that its about profit and not s/r.

Profit yes, but the strike rate will depend on how long you are prepared to wait for the next win. No one knows when or how long the next wining or losing streak will last. AE and CHI i believe are a guide for this situation.

Arkle

As ArkRoyal ArkRoyal and David Punshon David Punshon have shown odds to runner ratio improves strike rate. My question is has the improvement come about because the odds to runner ratio even though not intended is now acting as a back fitted stat.

Even though at some point the odds to runner ratio has to be brought in, otherwise how else can it be tested for different angles. But should other angles be applied at the same time.

I think the rule of thumb would be the more stats included the more back fitted the system would be. However how do we find the dividing line between reliable and back fitted not reliable, how do we find the dividing line.

If anyone has a answer please be gentle with the answer as this could be a very complicated thing to understand.

Arkle

Couldn't begin to answer your question arkle55 arkle55 ......where do we draw the line re. back fitting.......ongoing HRB dilemma for me :)

Don't know if this is of interest. The other day I pondered what would I get if I combined the best three Owners with the best three Trainers with the best three Jockeys for the last couple of flat years. For whatever reason, I only ended with two Trainers.

OwnerSystem2.png

OwnerSystem1.png

What of the above is back fitting? I wanted to work within a certain odds range - I can always refuse to bet if outside this range.
Same with the size of the field - it's what I wanted to work with. The other elements of younger horses (age) that are proven (placings), possibly gaining an advantage by the class move or not. :confused:

And the interesting thing is - relating to this thread - is that if I look at the LR Odds to Runner ratio for the above I get this:-

OwnerSystem3.png

Just three bets over 1.0

Obviously this system cannot get a 'reasonable' test this year, I don't suppose, but may in the future.

The other day I pondered what would I get if I combined the best three Owners with the best three Trainers with the best three Jockeys for the last couple of flat years.

Owners are a newer addition to HRB. Godolphin go back to 2012, yet Saeed Bin Suroor goes back to 2003 and has far as i know Suroor has only ever trained for Godolphin.

Arkle

Thanks for that arkle55 arkle55 It was the first time I had used Owners in HRB - it was just curiosity and bit of fun really.
But I thought, more interesting, relating to whether LR Odds to Runner ratio should be incorporated into a system (or ratings) was the fact that the results of my 'play' showed the majority Under 1.0 after finishing.
So would that indicate a 'stable' system I wonder?

As ArkRoyal ArkRoyal and David Punshon David Punshon have shown odds to runner ratio improves strike rate. My question is has the improvement come about because the odds to runner ratio even though not intended is now acting as a back fitted stat.

Even though at some point the odds to runner ratio has to be brought in, otherwise how else can it be tested for different angles. But should other angles be applied at the same time.

I think the rule of thumb would be the more stats included the more back fitted the system would be. However how do we find the dividing line between reliable and back fitted not reliable, how do we find the dividing line.

If anyone has a answer please be gentle with the answer as this could be a very complicated thing to understand.

Arkle
Although not within the HRB Database , mlmrob mlmrob introduced to the Class Sheets the Odds to Runners Ratio for the Winner of LTO race, useful if the horse in question may not have the lowest Ratio but has come form a race where the winner did have a low Odds/Runners Ratio

See Post Yet another rating from hedgehog

Last edited:
I have always viewed filtering/back fitting as one and the same. If the archie/AE figures look good as well as the profit then go for it

Back