• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Lincoln

mick

Sire
Cheers Mark some good memory's above , but my best from back in those days was the buzz involved with a vibrant AP market and big gambles taking place, plus lots of press coverage weeks prior to the race. These days it appears as just another hcap but one i still relish. :)

Last edited:

markfinn

Sire
Would not normally be a race for myself - but always good to look at others thoughts he has

Not top handicappers
Trainers with Good records in this type of race
not hold up types as they need to around at the 2F pole
Not top weight and not light weights
4 and 5yr olds
Unexposed in the market
Drawn 1 - 10 although this might well have changed

Looks an Ideal race for the gamer's

mick

Sire
Form over a straight mile is also helpful because plenty are not best suited by this. I work it the same as any off my ratings and profiling. I often end up finding nothing i wish to back, but this makes the occasions when i do appear even sweeter (at least pre race). !

Chesham

Sire
Can we move the LIncoln Race to the Inner Sanctum As I am loath to post my save trends on the OS as they are Lurkers who never contribute anything, not to mention those who sells Trends etc. The same with the Cheltenham Gold Cup Thread. I have deleted the Cheltenham Gold Cup Trend that I posted. Happy to post it agin if the Thread is in the Inner Sanctum

Last edited:

mick

Sire
Chesham Chesham i appreciate your above thinking and one aspect is causing me problems in respect that i like to post on all sections of the forum but often find its a case of having to repeat what i have already posted in the blog or IS. I certainly agree your point Re lurkers plus the fact that the OS can be viewed by non members...............No happy medium or easy answers.

dave58

Administrator
Can we move the LIncoln Race to the Inner Sanctum As I am loath to post my save trends on the OS as they are Lurkers who never contribute anything, not to mention those who sells Trends etc. The same with the Cheltenham Gold Cup Thread. I have deleted the Cheltenham Gold Cup Trend that I posted. Happy to post it agin if the Thread is in the Inner Sanctum

Hi Chesham Chesham , I appreciate what you are saying, but I am reluctant to move the thread without being asked to by the op as it was his decision where to post it in the first place.
This may prove an interesting exercise actually - may I suggest we leave this where it is for now and see what sort of response it gathers, and if anyone wants to they can always start a parallel thread on the IS and see where both go?
Could end up as a useful wheat/chaff sorting exercise here.

mick

Sire
dave58 dave58 This is the type of problem i was referring to above because we already have a Lincoln thread in the blog and every year the race gets good coverage in the IS Big race hcap thread. I guess the difference here is that this one is intended for ante post bets only but my contributions to the two other threads tend to be AP wagers.

The bottom line being its no big deal and just another glorious muddle. :)

markfinn

Sire
Hi Chesham Chesham , I appreciate what you are saying, but I am reluctant to move the thread without being asked to by the op as it was his decision where to post it in the first place.
This may prove an interesting exercise actually - may I suggest we leave this where it is for now and see what sort of response it gathers, and if anyone wants to they can always start a parallel thread on the IS and see where both go?
Could end up as a useful wheat/chaff sorting exercise here.

"but I am reluctant to move the thread without being asked to by the op as it was his decision where to post it in the first place" I posted it from the Antepost thread link supplied by ArkRoyal ArkRoyal thought that was what was intended - I have no Idea it was on the open never look at aspect.

But we have a problem if nothing can be posted in the open, Braddocks trends are 30 years old and hardly secret - I was going to put up other races from the book as they cropped up during the season as an interest to the others - we have no way of knowing if any lurkers, never mind how many have looked at it - but seeing as only mick and G have even acknowledged reading, now in two mind's whether to carry on at posting - we have no way of knowing if any lurkers never mind how many have looked at it - If lurkers are selling info from here ( hope they sold my Lingfield grave yard ratings today !) that wil sort em.

Posting is should be two edged and not just charity posting for others to read and absorb or dismiss with out any discussion or addition to the comments. some on here have tunnel vision and only post on thier own thread and we know where that goes The Uncouth The Uncouth recently admitted such.

Admin need to sort out what can be allowed and what can and what not be allowed - so please either delete or leave the thread - I dont want any falling out or experimenting to sort out the "chaff from the wheat" in my name or over my shite - who are we to know who is who - you would be better closing the OS if it continues to cause these problems

Last edited:

dave58

Administrator
markfinn markfinn my post was not meant to be any criticism of yourself and I apologise if you have read it that way.
I was trying to make the point that as far as I see it anyone can post wherever they like: those who wish to restrict who can view their posts and have the necessary permissions are quite free to do so, ditto those who are happy to post in the open part of the forum.
Once again I apologise unreservedly if I have somehow offended you, it certainly wasn't my intention.

dave58

Administrator
As an aside, your idea of different colours for the different parts of the forum is an interesting one, maybe ArkRoyal ArkRoyal can help here as he knows far more than me about that sort of thing.
I have to admit that I am a bit like mick mick in that I tend to reply to stuff sometimes without paying too much attention as to who could be reading it, so maybe a lesson to be learned from this.

mick

Sire
I was aware that this is an OS thread which can be read by non members and those of us who have the option to post on more private areas of the forum make our own decisions concerning this, which should be made without fear or favor. Often i take that option with i feel good reason but i also like to join in and encourage new members who currently only have OS access.

ArkRoyal

Administrator
I will have a look dave58 dave58 but it may not be straightforward. in the meantime just look at the top of the page

1579716082759.png
and if you do not see Inner Sanctum within the Forums > line then you are posting in an area that anyone can see, including search engines and guests.

Nellsman

Colt
Hi Guy's,
the Lincoln being the herald of the new season always makes me perk up and also brings back fond memories. I got married in 1970 when I was still an apprentice engineer earning about a tenner a week. We spent our honeymoon at my uncles home, he lived in a small mining village near Nottingham. My wife and I got a bus from Ilkeston to Doncaster for the big day. I bet New Chapter ridden by Sandy Barclay and my wife bet Prince De Galles ridden by Lester Piggot. One of those days in our lives that we remember forever.

Last edited:

markfinn

Sire
Dave you can remove the apology - no need for it I know it was not specific poster you were aiming at - I started out here on the open and was fortunate enough to be drafted into the the other areas where I have learnt so much about the game and more specifically handicapping - knowledge that is not to be found in any book.

I totally respect the idea of mentors wanting to limit the sharing with those that share back and in that way broaden the subject for both parties. The intentional plagiarist and worse the misleader's and touter's of crap ideas and scams, have no place here and in that respect it should be a closed door policy- unless someone recommends / proposes and has cleared for arrival a new a body by admin to enter.

I believe that no one has done more than myself to put something back and encourage others newbies and experienced to interact, obviously I have failed and the concept of the open door is also failing , it has just not being recognised as such yet .

You will have have many walk ins but how many walk straight in go straight out again without even acknowledging their presence.

So do we restrict our self's to the select company in the blog - for certain subjects that are considered private or personally valuable yes - does that go for the inner sanctum as well I would say yes - the members of the OS will have to be inventive and post them self's up to the inner as they do now.

Can subjects be covered on thread different threads - absolutely - will there duplication absolutely, there has to be, as big as racing is there are only so many discussion points.

OS - Invitation only to new members - existing members who are not personally known to the owners and have not posted for 6 months sack em - if they are currently back packing in Australia no problem they can reapply when the visa run out - have a cull every 6 months " no sense no access " no problem. This will also remove a few existing one liners there again no problem - I dont believe the the members want elitism but cooperation - however naive the newbies question is,there are a few good answers and if they cannot or will not learn sling em.

If some are so tunnel visioned that they dont want to interact - there again boot them, of no interaction no point - if you want to tell me how great you are,I am not listening - so no point having the thread littering the forum and I know other members feel this way.

Anyway that's my 10 bobs worth.

Last edited: