• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Jockeys Note

Pat Cosgrove riding for Saeed Bin Suroor 2.50 Newbury on Gifts Of Gold.
Replaces Stefano Cherchi who goes to Wolverhampton to ride for Marco Botti especially Wilkommen who has attracted money in the 8.15

No claim in Group races!
Today
Joshua Moore replaces Jack Quinlan on Captain Speaking(Fav) for Nick Littmoden in the 1.45 Plumpton.
Jack Quinlan rides Easter Eric(2nd Fav) in the same race for Amy Murphy a near neighbour of Littmodens on the Hamilton Road in Newmarket.

Monday
William Buick replaces David Probert on Golden Crusader for Andrew Balding in the 7.30 at Wolverhampton.
Probert is engaged at Leicester on Honore Daumier for Henry Candy.

Tuesday 22/09/2020

Joe Doyle stays loyal to Hell Left Loose in the 2.45 at Listowel

Tom Madden replaces Shane Foley on the Fav Rocket Science from the Jessica Harrington stable in the 3.55 at Listowel.
Shane Fowley rides Real Appeal for Jessica Harrington in the same race.

Wednesday 23/09/2020

Blue Monday, Fergal O'Brien, Paddy Brennan 5.20 Perth(750 miles round trip). Won easily LTO for Brennan at Wincanton (9/2)

Bear Me In Mind won LTO for Barry MCHugh, he stays loyal and rides Bear Me In Mind again in the 1.35 Redcar(8/1)

For myself its always first find the horse of interest but which rider booked and why can help or hinder the important final call of am i willing to risk my wedge. The value edge from apprentice riders has now mostly blown but given the correct circumstances having that claim on side can still enhance the prospects of a win.

One aspect worth considering is how much of the claim remains, on the flat an apprentice can ride 20 winners before his 7lbs is reduced to 5lbs and given this situation would you rather have 18 previous wins than 2 working for you. ? With senior jockeys there are always some who while very experienced and capable are not getting the rides winners and headlines. Booking one of these can put pts on the price without affecting the chance.

I do a lot of work on my races of interest as from the 4 day Decs and sometimes noting an advanced securing of services can be viewed as a positive tell Re serious intentions. As backers its interesting to note how over time some of our own thinking can go full cycle, older members may recall back in the day there was much talk of dead weight and the positives of jockeys riding close to there natural weight and during the past couple of years this is an aspect which i have been re visiting.

The betting public have wised up in general and this makes obtaining a market edge via jockey a harder find but a few do remain and time spent seeking them can still prove well spent. In this respect a word of caution because these days computers and data bases make jockey stats an easy ask and i do wonder if sometimes connections planning a punt at a price use this to put us away................I would. :)

Last edited:
Great post mick mick, very informative, as ever, your knowledge makes for great reading.

The plan is not to explain too much, just following what my top two rated horses do jockey wise.
If their jockeys remain loyal or are engaged elsewhere.

Difficulty is some jocks are contracted to owners through racing managers rather than stables and miss out on rides for contractual reasons rather their view of the horses chance of winning.
Others are directed by Jockey Agents and some agents dominate with the best jockeys and bigger stables.

Racing has changed, lightweight jockeys at the bottom of the hcap were seen as weak in a finish.
Heavier jocks fasting to do their minimum or close to it was a good indicator of their intentions.

Top jocks play the averages now they put the horse 'in the race' and if it wins all well in good if it doesn't there is always their next mount.

Richard Hughes was for ever in the Stewards room for misuse then all of a sudden it stopped he just drove his mount to a point and sometimes it looked as if he was failing to ride a finish but he had just realised he couldn't force the issue like old times.
Declan Murphy was the same his winners won by lengths rather than nostrils.

The professional bar has been raised in the jockey ranks and this is thanks in many ways to the racing schools where the likes of John Reid and others have helped set the younger generation to be much more professional in their presentation, media, mental health and well being.
There are still issues and recent drug testing has shown the use of recreational drugs amongst younger jockeys is on the rise.

Today was all about Jane and her attempt at 100.

Sunday 27th 2020

Alpine Mistral, 3yo Filly, Josephine Gordon 2.25 Chester.
Highest rated. Down in class.
Jockey has 3 good rides at Chester.
Produced 2 wins and a 2nd LTO from her 3 mounts.
-----------

A Step Too Far, 4yo Filly. Cheekpieces for the first time .
Adam Farragher(7) 2.30 Curragh.
Second highest rated. Down in distance.
Started off winning with OH rated 50 runs off 85 today.
Improving.
------------

Monday 28th September.

Celestial Force 5yo Gelding. Harry Cobden 2.40 Newton Abbot.
Drops back in distance after winning at this course over 2m3f under today's jockey.
--------

Red Iron 4yo Filly. Brian Hayes 1.45 Roscommon.
Recent Tramore Mares only INH Flat race winner faces Hurdles for the first time.
Brian Hayes replaces 7lb claimer.

Taking onboard your advice mick mick about long range scanning for those intended mounts.

Tuesday 29th September

Cruyff Turn 3yo Gelding William Carver(3) Top Rated. 12.20 Ayr. Apprentice Hcap.
Won an Apprentice Hcap under today's jockey at Redcar 14 days ago.

Tuesday 29th September.

Cruyff Turn 3yo Gelding William Carver(3) Top Rated. 12.20 Ayr. Apprentice Hcap.
Won an Apprentice Hcap under today's jockey at Redcar 14 days ago.

The Butcher Said 7yo G Adrian Heskin stays loyal. 2nd rated 1.10 Bangor. Novice Chase.
Ran 2nd for this Jockey LTO in similar event at Uttoxeter.

Wednesday 30th September

Operatic 2yo Filly Jack Mitchell. Top rated. Kempton 4.25
Won a Windsor Novice race by 7 lengths under Jack earlier this month.

Island Nation 3yo Gelding. Martin Dwyer. 2nd Rated 7.30 Kempton.
"Eased down" winner of a course 1m4f race under today's jockey 7 days ago.

Thursday 01 Oct 2019

Dark Shift 2yo Colt. Kieran Shoemark. Top Rated 2.30 Salisbury.
Won LTO at Ascot in a Novice race for this jockey.

Moktasaab 2yo Colt. Jim Crowley. 2nd Rated. 12.30 Salisbury.
Jim Crowley replaces David Egan.

12.50 not 12.30 soz don't like editing.
Going back to the well!

I K Brunel 6yo Gelding. Andrew Heskin. Top Rated. Fontwell 1.00
Won LTO under todays jockey.

Back