• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Intro and a bit about me

Hadn't seen this part of the forum and I'm about 150 posts so thought I should introduce myself.

I've been interested in racing on and off from a very young age, my first experience of the track was when my nan took me to Aintree in 1982 at the age of 6, to see Grittar win the National. I remember standing by the first fence seeing quite a number of horses falling, then dashing across to the finish to see the winner come home.

I've always loved going to Aintree which is very much my local track, its not that long since my then fiancee (now wife) lived within walking distance of the track and had many a winner (and loser) there. I'll never forget the day she mentioned she liked the colours of Tartan Snow and backed it in the Foxhunters at 100-1, and a few years ago a friend and I ran a 6 race card between us (he had 5 winners to my 4 but I came away better for bigger stakes). I am a fan of all codes but the National Hunt gets the pulse racing a bit more. Trips to Chester and Haydock are nice in the summer as well and we make some great days out from it. I was there when Sea The Stars landed his 2009 Derby - a big thrill to be at Epsom for the big race and a contrast to some of the Nationals I've attended.

My best winner was probably Litigant in the 2015 Ebor, I got 50/1 but it was the type of 50/1 I was really thoroughly confident about, not a wild punt but I couldn't believe his odds - probably the long track layoff and the more recent form being on sand was the issue. I also backed Scatter Dice at 66/1 for the Cesarewitch - a bizarre win given the mess she made of the start.

I've had a horrible time betting more recently though, and Cheltenham and Aintree this year was a real nadir, I was just putting a fiver here a tenner there and the thought wasn't really going into it. Meanwhile a good friend of mine pulled out winner after winner, including Jeff Kidder (he got 50s) and if I'm honest he has lucked out a bit with his twitter following going from almost nothing to nearly 1,000. He's singled me out amongst that following as a decent flat racing tipster but little has come good, so I've abandoned betting for a few months to try and develop some other ideas.

In here I've been looking to develop my understanding of standard times, and speed figures. I've started a thread called "approaching speed ratings" and have put a few ideas up and some figures for Dundalk over 2020. Last year I did a little tissues thread as well and we showed up a bit of profit but I've not continued with it as I'd rather find my own different niche.

Outside racing I love time with my two kids, I like other sports such as golf, cricket, football and NFL.
I'm also keen on gardening and having nice days out.

I have been a member for a little while and did read the threads but I've always been a bit nervous over posting when seeing how well informed others are, and can now see there's no need to be. What's obvious is the forum contains many like minded people all keen to help each other and with fantastic ideas. Work and family time comes first but when I get a spare moment I will look in here and contribute where I can. The warm welcome I've had so far is really very much appreciated.

mick

Sire
Good post AustinDillon75 AustinDillon75 and i especially liked your final paragraph as it well sums up who we are and what we do. I was less happy to be reminded of the Scatter Dice Cesarewitch win because the evening before an on line mate who was a decent judge told me he was backing the animal but i chose to ignore what turned out to be some excellent advice. :eek:

As you have learnt no member should ever feel apprehensive about posting because in this game we are all learners. :)

Last edited: