• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Help please! Book research question :)

NickElson

Hi, all!

I'm trying to find out if, back in 1989, you could have placed an accumulator bet in a UK high street bookies. Say three or four football results. It crossed my mind that accumulator bets may not have been available back then, but I really have no clue. I'd be grateful for the help if anyone knows! :)

Sandhog

Gelding
I think accumulators or "roll-ups" were available, N NickElson , but I'm not sure now.
I never had a football bet myself with a bookie; but, might have a fiver straight bet with some guy if I thought he was so fanatical a supporter that he'd back his pub team against allcomers, including the likes of Benfica or Bayern Munich. :D

There's a lot of passion in football.

davejb

Stallion
Accumulator bets were available when I started having a misspent youth in the 1970's. I used to bet regularly in William Hills in my hometown and although mainly racing I did occasionally bet on the footie. I remember at the time they also had football odds printed up on sheets not unlike the football pools which had things like 'pick 4 aways' and so many home wins, draws and whatnot, so they were actively encouraging folk to try accumulators..... there was nothing to stop you making your own doubles ands trebles etc up. As I took an extended break from betting after the late 70's I don't know if this continued into 1989, but don't see why it wouldn't have.... they're definitely not a new phenomenon.
Dave

NickElson

Accumulator bets were available when I started having a misspent youth in the 1970's. I used to bet regularly in William Hills in my hometown and although mainly racing I did occasionally bet on the footie. I remember at the time they also had football odds printed up on sheets not unlike the football pools which had things like 'pick 4 aways' and so many home wins, draws and whatnot, so they were actively encouraging folk to try accumulators..... there was nothing to stop you making your own doubles ands trebles etc up. As I took an extended break from betting after the late 70's I don't know if this continued into 1989, but don't see why it wouldn't have.... they're definitely not a new phenomenon.
Dave
Thanks so much, Dave! That's really helpful. My main character will be able to afford a room for a few weeks at least! :)

dave58

Administrator
N NickElson, not sure about the timescale, or even whether this is any help, but I do remember way back when I used to regularly bet on Man Utd to win 1-0 with Cantona as first goalscorer.
You used to be able to put these into an accumulater bet, no way you can do that now unfortunately!!

pete

Dam
You used to be able to put these into an accumulater bet, no way you can do that now unfortunately!!
Strangely enough , I have just been looking at this option in one of my usa sports books. They give you a set of three options to pick from in order to build your "one game parlay"

Screenshot_20210319-174754.png

Steve18

Yearling
Accumulators were allowed on football but there were restrictions on what you could do.Homes were minimum of 5,draws were 3 and I think aways were 4. When the weather was bad you could get around it by including matches that you knew had been called off. Also you had to be aware of related contingencies if you wanted to have bets on things like goalscorer and result combos which could see your bet voided.

NickElson

Accumulators were allowed on football but there were restrictions on what you could do.Homes were minimum of 5,draws were 3 and I think aways were 4. When the weather was bad you could get around it by including matches that you knew had been called off. Also you had to be aware of related contingencies if you wanted to have bets on things like goalscorer and result combos which could see your bet voided.
Thanks Steve, that's really helpful! :)

jesSIE

Yearling
So interesting! Thank you for telling us

Hi, all!

I'm trying to find out if, back in 1989, you could have placed an accumulator bet in a UK high street bookies. Say three or four football results. It crossed my mind that accumulator bets may not have been available back then, but I really have no clue. I'd be grateful for the help if anyone knows! :)
I remember that in the 1950s or 1960s, many years before I ever placed a bet, punters on horses would often claim they had made a fair bit of money on a "rollup",which today is referred to as a simple accumulator bet. So accumulators go back quite a long way.