• Hi Guest, The software has been updated but I have not had a chance to tweak anything yet.
    It took longer than I had hoped, so I just turned it on and hope everything is OK
    If you spot anything that does not look rigfhyt then please let me know.
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest, If you are seeing that Lurker has appeared under your name then please take a look here to see why. AR

Great Music

Chesham

Sire
Captain Beefheart (Ahead of His Time) John Peel used to Regularly come to small venue in the town where I used to live as a Teenager and persuaded them that they should Book CB and his band. John Peel recorded 4 live tracks from the set that CB Played at the venue

Chesham Chesham - simple but great you need to watch it all - it appears to be finished but its not - she has great story was house house keeper to the Seegar musical family who happened to hear her playing and cajoled her into performing

I got onto her from http://www.themetimeradio.com/ which is brilliant source of music old music

HorsePunter

Yearling
markfinn putting up that Elizabeth Cotton video reminded me of Irelands Margaret Barry, she was from Cork and wasn't a Tinker but was known as the Queen of the Tinkers. she left home as a teen and busked around Ireland singing and playing the Banjo, she would have someone with her, "bottle" for her, which involved them holding a bottle with a fly in it with their thumb over the top so the fly couldn't get out and a bucket in the other hand and they would go into the crowd and collect the money while Margaret was singing. If they came back with no fly in the bottle, she knew they were dipping into the money. She was noticed by a Folk Aficianado and became quite famous. An acquired taste but a great life story, take the time to read the article below before listening to the videos. She's in her seventies in the second video.

Margaret Barry: wild Irish woman of the British folk scene

Last edited:
markfinn putting up that Elizabeth Cotton video reminded me of Irelands Margaret Barry, she was from Cork and wasn't a Tinker but was known as the Queen of the Tinkers. she left home as a teen and busked around Ireland singing and playing the Banjo, she would have someone with her, "bottle" for her, which involved them holding a bottle with a fly in it with their thumb over the top so the fly couldn't get out and a bucket in the other hand and they would go into the crowd and collect the money while Margaret was singing. If they came back with no fly in the bottle, she knew they were dipping into the money. She was noticed by a Folk Aficianado and became quite famous. An acquired taste but a great life story, take the time to read the article below before listening to the videos. She's in her seventies in the second video.

Margaret Barry: wild Irish woman of the British folk scene

Nice one never heard of her