• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Getting capped on online sites

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this and read somewhere that somebody was eventually limited to only 33p bets because they were winning too much money. Winning too much, in the sense that he placed large bets and won large; and in turn lost half of his bets as well.

Sorry for the 200 questions....

Is this the case? At what point should you tone it down? If you get capped at one, are you capped from all (put on some list of some sort)? Lastly, is there any form of flag say winning 1k, 10k 100k etc...

Cheers,
J

Last edited:

MartinK

Colt
If you get capped, just open a Betting Exchange account. Not getting BOG is compensated by generally better early prices. But first, find a way to win big :D

Steve18

Yearling
Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule as to when or what gets an account restricted. You wont lose all your accounts if you lose one so just carry on until you cant bet with any of them. Winning big isn't the only problem. If you consistently beat the SP you will quickly be shown the door win OR lose. Sure , they don't like you winning, but sometimes they just don't like the way you lose:(

mick

Sire
Is this the case? At what point should you tone it down? If you get capped at one, are you capped from all (put on some list of some sort)? Lastly, is there any form of flag say winning 1k, 10k 100k etc...
There are all sorts of flags built into algorithms which the Bookmakers use to decide they no longer want your custom, and you do not need a winning account to trigger some of these. One of the worst offences is when you consistently or even on balance beat the SP via taking there early prices. You can have a losing account and still get culled because they decide that longer term you might be a winner.

And you have been informed correctly because rather than be honest about it and close your account they end up restricting you to pennies at the price. There are workarounds but none which i feel able to elaborate about on this public part of the forum. Have fun while you still can. :)

Last edited:

tacker

Mare
Depends how big your bets are but most people bet with a bookie then lay it off with betfair, this will help hide these winning bets to some degree.

Outlander

Gelding
Depends how big your bets are but most people bet with a bookie then lay it off with betfair, this will help hide these winning bets to some degree.
That’s the quickest way of all to get banned or restricted, bookies have hair triggers if you take any price that is shorter on the exchanges then you can be gone in 2 bets, I lasted 2 bets with one bookie before a ban and I wasn’t laying off , I just beat the SP on both and one won at 9/4, that was enough for them to decide I wasn’t a mug and no use to them.
Not sure if that particular excuse for a bookie still exists think it was called Sporting Options, but the only option they accept is for you to lose and they certainly weren’t sporting.
Other bookies not much better, I lasted one day with William Hill, and Paddy banned after a few weeks and Bet365 restricted to pennies.They are all filth and shouldn’t be given a license unless they take bets, but they just harvest as many mugs as they can and stop anyone who even presents as being equipped with multiple brain cells.

Last edited:

tacker

Mare
That’s the quickest way of all to get banned or restricted, bookies have hair triggers if you take any price that is shorter on the exchanges then you can be gone in 2 bets, I lasted 2 bets with one bookie before a ban and I wasn’t laying off , I just beat the SP on both and one won at 9/4, that was enough for them to decide I wasn’t a mug and no use to them.
Not sure if that particular excuse for a bookie still exists think it was called Sporting Options, but the only option they accept is for you to lose and they certainly weren’t sporting.
Other bookies not much better, I lasted one day with William Hill, and Paddy banned after a few weeks and Bet365 restricted to pennies.They are all filth and shouldn’t be given a license unless they take bets, but they just harvest as many mugs as they can and stop anyone who even presents as being equipped with multiple brain cells.
When i first read a debate on this via gg.com there were at least one bookmaker involved and it wasn't about trying to beat the market merely appearing to bet on many sports and as best i can recall something akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all of that information! Very useful and appreciate you taking the time.

OK, so a bit of background, I am betting on the Football. Not big bets... Normally from 10 to 100 quid. Not sure what a 'big bet' even means? In the thousands?

Interesting. So I normally take an early price so I guess a tactic would be to wait and make the bet on the match day? I'm a bit lost with the terminology. Are saying that if the starting price was 1/5, and I later took on one at 1/4 that is what would be frowned upon? Not even sure how to find out the starting price ha ha. I've got an account on William HIll just to have a poke around and become familiar with how they work...

Cheers!
J

mick

Sire
T TheJonesin Regret i know nothing about football betting but Re the other question you asked about being black listed, most of the online firms use the spyware iesnare so if you have been restricted by one firm then the others will have this info. I also suspect there is some unofficial exchanges between traders working for different firms on a reciprocal basis Re good or bad customers.

Big losers are viewed as good customers and one of the best stories i read which i hope was true, is that a very successful backer " obtained " the details of some and asked to be allowed to use there accounts which brought about a substantial reversal in there fortunes and must have seriously confused the heads of trading for the firms concerned.

There is now plenty of media attention concerning problem gamblers and the vile tactics which some of the major Bookmakers have deployed to encourage them to continue, but still not enough concerning those of us who are prevented from having a bet for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Steve18

Yearling
I think the next big issue is going to be affordability checks. With plans being discussed to bring in a monthly online loss limit of £100 after which proof of income will be required. Worrying times for the gambling industry if it indeed happens

mick

Sire
I think the next big issue is going to be affordability checks. With plans being discussed to bring in a monthly online loss limit of £100 after which proof of income will be required. Worrying times for the gambling industry if it indeed happens
Whatever the final outcomes of the Gov review some of the major Bookmakers will have brought it on themselves and the rest will suffer accordingly. Myself and some other interest parties have been involved in submitting a case for a MBL Minimum Bet Liability to be implemented for all customers ( i feel to be able to win £250 at the price is a fair ask for backers and layers ) but i have no high hopes that this will be a priority as the Gov will be focused on the problem gambling aspect which current Figs are saying is responsible for an increasing number of those affected taking there own life.

Bugger. I've just gone and lost 200 over the weekend. But, I started off with only 100 quid. They should cap it that way I think. Anything you lose on top of your initial deposit you've lost, but not really.

mick

Sire
Demanding proof of income is implemented by some now and it has nothing to do with protecting problem gamblers but is used to prevent or slow down a withdrawal request after you have had a good win or run. The thinking is two fold A) They suspect that its not your money involved and you are allowing someone they have restricted to use your account. Or B) they are hoping that you will become so frustrated by demands for this intrusive personal information that you will instead continue to bet and lose back the winnings.

How can this vile treatment be allowed ? well if you bother to read all of the big firms T&Cs you may be shocked to find that the small print legally allows them to do so. The way some of these T&Cs are worded is a total piddle take but they are counting on the fact that few will bother to read through them until its to late. Indeed anyone who does may feel very reluctant to open an account in the first place.

Back in the day Bookmakers paid winners from the losing customers and kept the balance as there earn for enabling, but current times there MO is that there will be no winners. !

Last edited:

Steve18

Yearling
Bugger. I've just gone and lost 200 over the weekend. But, I started off with only 100 quid. They should cap it that way I think. Anything you lose on top of your initial deposit you've lost, but not really.
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Some bookmakers do require proof of income now but I think its mainly aimed at high rollers. Bookies are very guarded about what triggers income requests but I think I've read somewhere that at Smarkets its when you hit £50K deposits.
When the FOBT's were restricted to £2 everyone on Betfair were jumping for joy thinking that bookies will have to start taking bets again now the cash cow has gone. That was never going to happen and the reality was once the anti gambling lobby got the scent of victory in their nostrils it was only a matter of time before they started looking around for the next target and horse/dog racing would be high on their agenda.