• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

GEORGE CHALONER

Royal Ascot-winning jockey has told how he had to retire at the age of 25 after suffering post traumatic stress disorder following a heavy fall.
George Chaloner had just returned from injury when his horse Woodacre fractured a leg and he was thrown to the ground.
Just millimetres from paralysis, he broke a vertebrae and his foot. He now suffers flashbacks and says that he will never ride again.
Mr Chaloner cannot remember getting on the horse or riding the race, saying: "All I remember is horses going over the top of me and then waking up in hospital."

dicko14 dicko14 - was just watching a BBC interview with George discussing this the other day - George Chaloner: Former jockey on falls, flashbacks, PTSD and his second career
It's a very hard profession to be part of as your totally dependant on rides and results. Sure there's the comeradery of the weighing room but out on the track your on your own win lose or draw and how you live and the income you glean as a jockey is a 24 non stop pressure pot. Not many of the day to day jocks can expect the use of an agent to ensure a smooth flow of decent rides and hence a steady bank balance. The strict dietary regimes and self discipline has to be admired even with the modern day intervention of food analysis and welfare officers in attendance at race meetings. Remember for us it's a sport we follow and love for them it's a job. I doff my hat to them :hi:

Back