• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Forum Banter

That there is fantastic advice Ferdy.

But I must say when there is an exceptional jockey on a horse and that jockey is known to ride a specific course incredibly well, I will definitely be using Post 88 advice from markfinn markfinn.

Cannot really see a positive way of using wind direction, if in doubt keep your money in your pocket and do not bet in inclement Weather.
Each to there own but Re inclement weather, i find Turf Flat - Soft to be one of the very best times to bet. I am an experienced practitioner of mid summer rain dances. :)

Returning to Banter i found this recently ..............."Oh sorry Bruce" a classic. :) I do hope dear Alan don't bet.

Last edited:
When Newc AW opened i waited a year just watching before starting to actually bet there. Surface aside a straight mile on any track can prove a marmite job and for those who have shown a liking then it does provide us with a positive but running against a strong head wind could be a neg to chance over 8 fur, so smart riders on hold ups kept in the slip stream will benefit from this.

Last edited:
Cheekpieces.

First time or not do you see these as a positive?

Also when I see a horse who has run well in France then it comes to the UK it doesn't run as well and sometimes terribly.
I personally don't feel French form travels well.

Your thoughts....

When Newc AW opened i waited a year just watching before starting to actually bet there. Surface aside a straight mile on any track can prove a marmite job and for those who have shown a liking then it does provide us with a positive but running against a strong head wind could be a neg to chance over 8 fur, so smart riders on hold ups kept in the slip stream will benefit from this.

I now prefer newcastle of all the aw tracks although i do think there is an advantage for those racing on the nearside but horses do need to settle or they struggle to get home. While i'm at it I have come to the conclusion that southwell is a freek of a course and it is very difficult to ride a normal race especially if you are on a horse that wants holding up and producing a furlong or so out, they seem to be choke out while still on the bend unlike most tracks....I think.

Cheekpieces.

First time or not do you see these as a positive?
A lot of my bets are on moderate horses in low grade races and FT or re use of head gear often plays a part and occasionally makes the difference. Do i see any as a positive not always, but sometimes you can glean from an animals previous runs why they might be, as can reverting to running without which is a harder one to get your head round.?

Thanks mick mick...reverting to running without I so didn't factor into the question...I really must sharpen up on these things I miss.
Btw what does FT stand for?
FT = First time and Re the running without when previous wins have been with. A few years back i swerved a 12/1 winner because of this and ever since when given the same circumstances i have given more thought as to why. :) Most often it remains a negative but not always and the win normally comes at a big price because of.

Thanks arkle55 arkle55 Interesting. I was working on a Mileage Traveled system yesterday for 12/1+ horses - made a very respectable profit over time - but the losing runs were running into the hundreds. Didn't have the stomach for it, so dropped it... Amazing what snippets you can pick up on these forums mick mick
Ps. I had a good friend once at school who was very fond of saying 'does my nut in' - makes me smile every time I hear it or see it written.

Back