• Hi Guest, The software has been updated but I have not had a chance to tweak anything yet.
    It took longer than I had hoped, so I just turned it on and hope everything is OK
    If you spot anything that does not look rigfhyt then please let me know.
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Hi Guest, If you are seeing that Lurker has appeared under your name then please take a look here to see why. AR

Forum Banter

dave58

Administrator
As suggested by others, feel free to use this thread as you see fit - general chat, conversation, jokes whatever.
Usual rules apply of course, so let's play nicely.

I live in Tenerife, which is a lovely place to live, but we spent New Year up in the mountains, so you lucky buggers in the UK probably had it warmer than us - hope everyone had a good one wherever you were.

mick

Sire
Over time on different threads in this forum i have shared my experiences during close to 50yrs involvement as a horse racing bettor. Some serious by necessity but there has also been plenty of fun along the way.

One of my earliest positive memory's was as you might expect a good earn. Still a teenager and with hindsight showing off because i had a girl friend with me i placed £5 ew @ 33/1 in a big hcap at the Goodwood festival. I can still remember the animal Cupid trained by Dick Hern. When we returned to the bookies and discovered it had won they could not pay me all on the day, begrudgingly handing over £100 much of it in one pound and ten bob notes with an IOU for the balance.

Just to put this into perspective ( and younger members will laugh) but at the time i was earning £5 a day as a hod carrier and this was considered fantastic money with most of my peers on a max £10 per week. As I sat outside the bookies stunned and counting this big wad of money i found myself thinking hey i like this betting game........BIG MISTAKE.! :eek:

dave58

Administrator
When we were in the UK myself and Carol used to enjoy going to the races. I remember one day years ago going to Salisbury as there was a horse I wanted to put quite a bit on.
My horse won at odds on, so I was happy, but then Carol outdid me big time by getting a winner at 33/1 and coming home with more than me!

mick

Sire
@dave58 Commiserations and i know the feeling. It still hurts to recall taking a girl friend to Sandown. I lumped on a 4/1 which got done a nk by a rag and my girl friend was hysterical i said button it we have been done she replied no you have been done i backed the winner.! Just to put the boot in when i asked her why she replied the jockey has a cute butt.!..............Be easy as i am not going to ask you to create a system using this aspect. :eek:

Last edited:
I remember one day years ago going to Salisbury as there was a horse I wanted to put quite a bit on.
This reminded me of the gamble I masterminded back in 1981 at Salisbury on Chuck Spares Signing Sailor ridden by Ernie Johnson who won at 10/1 which took the bookmakers in Swindon to the cleaners.

About a month before Signing Sailor ran at Salisbury, Chuck gave me the heads up on his 2yo, I remember his quote "If this horse doesn't win I will be in the shit by the owners".

You might ask why did he give me the heads up, I used to go fishing with his brother Malcolm, and at the time I was having a drink with Chuck and just asked him what was likely to be his first winner.

On the day, a friend of mine went to Salisbury races and Signing Sailor opened up at 16/1 on one board but the bookie would only give him 12/1, Signing Sailor won by 2.5 lengths at 10/1.

Chuck's first winner...Happy days.

Mike.

Last edited:

djb38

Gelding
Belated seasons greetings to one and all. Great to see the forum thriving and the usual suspects peddling their insightful knowledge and ‘grandad’ stories!
Looking forward to participating again after my self imposed absence of nearly 2 years. Hopefully back now with a bit of reinforced discipline and betting/trading creativity

mick

Sire
@TheBluesBrother it is good to have these memory's if only because they compensate during the periods when things are not going to plan. Back in the day you often heard the expression "An old fashion gamble" i was never quite sure what this meant but it did add some juice. :)

mick

Sire
Back in the day the betting shop was the place for banter sadly i suspect this is no longer so but we do have the memory's and many of mine come from my local Corals shop. When i bought my first motor i was introduced to one of the regulars an elderly bloke Harry who was a retired mechanic and a real character of the type which no longer exist. Harry spent his mornings servicing cars for cash and his afternoons doing his earn from same in said Corals.

Thanks to buying a racing book by Paul Major i was enjoying a golden period with my betting and Harry watching me frequently at the collect counter took to phoning me most lunch times to "discuss" the days racing. On one occasion i said no i am not backing anything today but this did not suit Harry who said all the studying you do you must fancy something. Just to getaway i said well i did look twice at Star Burst in the 2pm at Ling but have decided to swerve it.

Late afternoon i went into Corals and the place was in uproar because Harry had backed the horse and told the regulars that i had gone to Lingfield to have a grand on it, and as a result several of them had followed in. The bloody horse Won 33/1 and the manager could not pay everyone out (i can still recall the way he glared at me) and the sod of it was that i had not had a penny on the animal and the more i attempted to explain and protest this the less he and the customers believed me.!

There was a Pub next door used by us all and the only positive was that i did not have to buy my own beer for weeks, but i still feel i got the worst of it.! Some years later Harry phoned me in a state of excitement because his nephew had just been taken on as an apprentice at a Newmarket stable which had rep for liking a bet. The Lad made the grade and eventually started to ride winners ( and bet ). I have plenty of tales concerning this both good and bad. !

Last edited:

pawras

Colt
Took my old man too the races over Christmas, first time I'd managed to get him to go in years and he's not over steady on his feet these days but he certainly enjoyed it.
Getting old's a bitch cos when be was a kid he used to be a runner for a bookie on occasion.

djb38

Gelding
Back in the day the betting shop was the place for banter sadly i suspect this is no longer so but we do have the memory's and many of mine come from my local Corals shop. When i bought my first motor i was introduced to one of the regulars an elderly bloke Harry who was a retired mechanic and a real character of the type which no longer exist. Harry spent his mornings servicing cars for cash and his afternoons doing his earn from same in said Corals.

Thanks to buying a racing book by Paul Major i was enjoying a golden period with my betting and Harry watching me frequently at the collect counter took to phoning me most lunch times to "discuss" the days racing. On one occasion i said no i am not backing anything today but this did not suit Harry who said all the studying you do you must fancy something. Just to getaway i said well i did look twice at Star Burst in the 2pm at Ling but have decided to swerve it.

Late afternoon i went into Corals and the place was in uproar because Harry had backed the horse and told the regulars that i had gone to Lingfield to have a grand on it, and as a result several of them had followed in. The bloody horse Won 33/1 and the manager could not pay everyone out (i can still recall the way he glared at me) and the sod of it was that i had not had a penny on the animal and the more i attempted to explain and protest this the less he and the customers believed me.!

There was a Pub next door used by us all and the only positive was that i did not have to buy my own beer for weeks, but i still feel i got the worst of it.! Some years later Harry phoned me in a state of excitement because his nephew had just been taken on as an apprentice at a Newmarket stable which had rep for liking a bet. The Lad made the grade and eventually started to ride winners ( and bet ). I have plenty of tales concerning this both good and bad. !
loving the old stories @mick of which you have more than a few, I’m sure if you penned a book about them, you’d have a bestseller! I feel like I’ve had a fairly mundane betting life but guess that’s a measure of personal success

mick

Sire
loving the old stories @mick of which you have more than a few, I’m sure if you penned a book about them, you’d have a bestseller!
Winnings wise i have done OK on balance but there was plenty of grief along the way. Maintaining a sense of humor has certainly helped although current times the way the large firm Bookmakers operate has removed any fun from the betting side. We used to call them the old enemy and this was not intended as derogatory but imo these days they are The Enemy full stop (to us all).

i dont go Racing any more which is really sad as i really miss it . the vibe is not there anymore , back in the day armed with a bit of information you thought no one had but you !! the anticipation of the opening show from the bookies was something always exciting !! running along the line trying to nick the best price or being gutted that the cat was out of the bag and the best price was well short of what you had hoped for !! The last time i went , i freezed my nuts off on the top of Haldon Hill , which has it's on micro climate !! had to spend 10 mins at least queuing for a hot drink and spent all of the time moaning " that you can get better prices on BF, why bother having any bookies " !!!!!

pawras

Colt
I like to go the races for a relaxing afternoon and I prefer a week day when I'm 'supposed' to be at work. I tend to back early anyway , so going is more about the day out.
Been to just over 20 courses, went to Newmarket a couple of times and it did nothing for me at all, where as Cheltenham has it.

dave58

Administrator
Our favourite course used to be Folkestone, we used to take a picnic and watch the racing from the middle of the track.
Lingfield is probably now our favourite course, but we only go to the UK once a year now.

dave58

Administrator
Just to put the boot in when i asked her why she replied the jockey has a cute butt.!..............Be easy as i am not going to ask you to create a system using this aspect. :eek:
Could be worse @mick, do you remember dear old boyo (I wonder where he's posting nowadays !) telling you once not to bet on a Thursday when the moon was in Uranus and the jockeys saddlecloth was an even number.
Or something like that.
Interesting times, eh ? -wonder what he has for us this time - maybe a lucky colour according to the Chinese calendar perhaps ?

Having said that, I honestly haven't a clue how Carol gets her selections for the tipping competition, but she has managed to win it a few times.

Last edited:

mick

Sire
One of my fav story's from many years ago was related by a trainer Ryan Price. He had two across the card fancied runners a hurdler at Worc and a flat runner at Donc. He borrowed £2000 and had it placed on the hurdler and listening to the commentary in the Donc on course betting shop heard it win at 7/2. He shot down to the rails and had a 9k credit bet @ 11/10 on his flat runner which five mins later he watched getting done a hd.

During the long drive home he switched on the radio to get the full days results and a bad one progressed to a disastrous one when he learnt that his hurdles winner had subsequently lost the race on an objection.! A Captain in the Commandos during WW2 he was not a man lacking in courage but i always remember years later when he spoke about having better class horses to train which meant that he no longer had to frighten the life out of himself by betting.!