• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Euro 2020

The fact they used VAR and still gave the penalty is the real issue.
Even on VAR, I would like to talk about something, I most at times feel useless on penalty decisions as they do not change the decision, I have seen that lot in the Premier League as well. I do not understand why even if its clear penalty. They will keep on saying the word 'Clear and obvious' but even if its a clear wrong decision by the ref they would rarely change. Whats the use of VAR then

..... after watching the match last night, I am as disappointed as anyone that we failed to stay the distance in a penalty shootout. Surely we must have learned something by now that in lots of finals the giving and receiving of trophies is so very often decided by penalties. With this in mind, surely the penalty list is an important factor of any football match decided in this way. I ask myself is the final list of penalty takers, should they be needed, are they indeed known prior to any kick off? If so it surely has to be a closely guarded secret by those in charge, just who these five guinea pigs are going to be and what fate can be dealt to any of those selected. I again ask myself who was responsible in conjuring up the five names for the contest last night. Makes no sense:- Kane, McGuire, Rashford, Sancho and Saka. Take out Kane, can those left be experienced enough to bear the responsibility of the difference between a possible win and a possible defeat. Maybe I am missing something here, but I am left wondering if there had been a little more brain power applied, could things perhaps been a lot different, and we might even have had a few happier faces around this morning and the news channels may have been reporting something a lot different. ;)

No Grealish, No Sancho, No Rashford/Foden , these players behind Kane Would have been a different scenario. England would have banged lot of goals. So disappointing from England

My preferred squad
Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Walker, Shaw, Rice, Foden, Mount, Grealish, Sancho, Kane.

Rashford and Sterling to come in the second half and play against Tired legs.

Grealish should have started. No excuse there. Coach has to be changed. A more attacking minded should be appointed because these players are amazing. Southgate panicks easily even having this squad. He gets goal, he tells everyone to defend

No Grealish, No Sancho, No Rashford/Foden , these players behind Kane Would have been a different scenario. England would have banged lot of goals. So disappointing from England
... it was always going to be tight, Italy are not where they are because they concede goals. Their defence adopts a motto of they shall not pass. The issue as I see it was the policy they adopted in choosing the penalty takers. No one could envisage a bagful of goals.;)

I wondered what the heck was going on when harry Maguire stepped up second (?)
.... A complete mystery when you have seasoned players still on the field of play and up step the youthful inexperienced ones. I kind of knew in my own mind that I could see Saka failing to score, he looked anything but confident. Makes Pickford's super saves look insignificant, and will hardly be remembered in the light of what happened afterwards. ;)

As to what I see it shouldn't even have gone to extra time, leave alone penalties. England scored one and started defending. If they still had tried to attack, they would have scored another one. And secondly, Southgate does not like to substitute, he had world class bench, and he didn't even bother using them earlier. Keeping the same players on every game. And the games are not played weekly, it's 3-4 days break. Fresh players would have finished Italy

he had world class bench, and he didn't even bother using them earlier.
.... if we had a world class bench, surely they would have been on the field of play. Don't agree that fresh players would have seen off Italy. Overall the game was finely balanced, always going to be tight, and the Italians have a very good previous games record and no pushover. ;)

..... interesting piece of news from down below. The Italian keeper Donnarumma signed for PSG today from A C Milan on a free transfer. Has to be a very good bargain that as he won the player of the tournament. ;)

..... after watching the match last night, I am as disappointed as anyone that we failed to stay the distance in a penalty shootout. Surely we must have learned something by now that in lots of finals the giving and receiving of trophies is so very often decided by penalties. With this in mind, surely the penalty list is an important factor of any football match decided in this way. I ask myself is the final list of penalty takers, should they be needed, are they indeed known prior to any kick off? If so it surely has to be a closely guarded secret by those in charge, just who these five guinea pigs are going to be and what fate can be dealt to any of those selected. I again ask myself who was responsible in conjuring up the five names for the contest last night. Makes no sense:- Kane, McGuire, Rashford, Sancho and Saka. Take out Kane, can those left be experienced enough to bear the responsibility of the difference between a possible win and a possible defeat. Maybe I am missing something here, but I am left wondering if there had been a little more brain power applied, could things perhaps been a lot different, and we might even have had a few happier faces around this morning and the news channels may have been reporting something a lot different. ;)
All water under the bridge now but to my mind England had Italy on the ropes in the first 30 minutes and could have killed them off...they were clueless in how to cope with England, the problem was the players who could have pressed home the advantage were sat on the bench... Italy are a good side for sure but playing Jack Grealish from the start would have (imo) been a good move he would have won multiple free kicks in good positions.
On the plus side Kalvin Phillips & Declan Rice both proved to be fantastic holding midfield players throughout the Euros & are both much better footballers than meets the eye (imo).

All water under the bridge now but to my mind England had Italy on the ropes in the first 30 minutes and could have killed them off...they were clueless in how to cope with England, the problem was the players who could have pressed home the advantage were sat on the bench... Italy are a good side for sure but playing Jack Grealish from the start would have (imo) been a good move he would have won multiple free kicks in good positions.
On the plus side Kalvin Phillips & Declan Rice both proved to be fantastic holding midfield players throughout the Euros & are both much better footballers than meets the eye (imo).
I really wish Southgate plays him from the start in World Cup. He is not a super sub even if he plays better from the bench. A super sub is like when a player doesn't play better from the start but does well when opposition is tired. Grealish does well from the start, so you can't say he is super sub. Someone like Rashford who has lot of speed can be used as a super sub. He also has scored hatrick against Leipzig as a sub.
GREALISH must start for England or coach should be sacked

Sameernasri Sameernasri nicksar nicksar

I was saying all along Southgate wasn't the man, even to the detriment of not being invited round to a mates house cause I was Mr Negative, he proved in the final he has no second plan apart from defend and unfortunately on the night he just made bad decision after bad, personally he spends too much time giving woke press conferences and saying the right thing he just isn't winner material.

As for the pens, regardless of colour, team or what ever you want to see it as the last 3 penalties were shite, and again Rashford never touching the ball until he picks it up to take the penalty cold should have never even attempted the run up, still the prices for both teams to win on pens was so much I had a nibble at both so bet with your head and not your heart was a winner for me

I think the way he treated Grealish was disgraceful as he did linguard the match before the squad was picked
, I now wont watch another match until he is removed, oh sorry he a yes man he wont be, picks the team on shirt sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sameernasri Sameernasri nicksar nicksar

I was saying all along Southgate wasn't the man, even to the detriment of not being invited round to a mates house cause I was Mr Negative, he proved in the final he has no second plan apart from defend and unfortunately on the night he just made bad decision after bad, personally he spends too much time giving woke press conferences and saying the right thing he just isn't winner material.

As for the pens, regardless of colour, team or what ever you want to see it as the last 3 penalties were shite, and again Rashford never touching the ball until he picks it up to take the penalty cold should have never even attempted the run up, still the prices for both teams to win on pens was so much I had a nibble at both so bet with your head and not your heart was a winner for me

I think the way he treated Grealish was disgraceful as he did linguard the match before the squad was picked
, I now wont watch another match until he is removed, oh sorry he a yes man he wont be, picks the team on shirt sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here, I am waiting for the day he will be out, else there is no fun watching England play.

Back