• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Depressed Dettori took cocaine in 'moment of weakness'

ArkRoyal

Administrator
Italian jockey Frankie Dettori has revealed he took cocaine before a positive dope test in France last September that brought him a six-month ban.
In an interview with Channel Four television to be broadcast on Thursday, the British-based jockey - one of the biggest names in flat racing - was asked why he took cocaine and in what circumstances.

"Things were going bad, I was depressed and I guess a moment of weakness and I fell for it and I've only got myself to blame. I can't blame anybody else," he said.
Dettori, who won all seven races in a single afternoon at Ascot in 1996, said he was so ashamed and embarrassed when the news broke that he hid in his house for a week.

"The paparazzi outside. The embarrassment of telling the children, you know. You know they still go to school, they might get bullied and so it was a very, very difficult time," he continued.

The interview was Dettori's first since he was suspended from December 19 by the French racing authority France Galop after the positive test for a previously unidentified substance at Longchamp. The ban expires on May 19.
"I'm very ashamed and embarrassed, and paid a big price for it, you know. I spent six months not doing the thing that I love, racing," said Dettori.
Dettori will return as a freelance rider after it was announced in October that he would no longer be a retained jockey for Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation after an 18-year association.

Just seen this old thread, and was thinking what a transformation the last 2yrs have been in his career, I'd still like to know what his excuse was for taking cocaine back in the nineties when he was let off with just a warning.

Back